Anyone heard of these new Ted Baker Rockall headphones? They look absolutely amazing!
Jan 9, 2015 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nw130d

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard of these new Ted Baker Rockall headphones? If so how do they sound? They look absolutely amazing! Kinda like a classier / vintage version of the Momentum design.

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm still a little skeptical about fashion houses branding headphones, regardless of how high-end the house is. Maybe I'm wrong... where did you find these in Canada? I'm swinging by Toronto shortly so I'd like to take a listen if I can.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi, 

Not had a chance to listen to these here in the UK. Have seen them on sale in a few stores, but sadly never on display. There are a few reviews floating around on the web however. I'm much the same about a brand getting into headphones for the first time, it's hard to see how they'll sound all that great.

It would be good if we knew who manufactured these for Ted Baker I guess. 

Tom.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Just found them through random Google photos. I do not believe there is any retail store in Canada. At lest stand alone Ted Baker store. They are $300 bucks in their website store.

I did read the few reviews floating on the web but did not find any detail reviews of them. To know the OEM company that produced these headphones for Ted Baker would be awesome. Be a good indication how they might possibly sound.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 9
These are now selling in the UK at £49.99. Not a bad price for what they are. I'm trying them today out of curiosity.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L208IS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 9
I've had the Ted Baker Rockall headphones for 2 months now are wrote a review on my blog gavinsgadgets. Any questions ask away here. Most surprising headphones really.

How do these compare to other popular closed back headphones?
(Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, NAD HP50, Onkyo ES-HF300, Skullcandy Aviator, Panasonic HD10 etc etc etc)

Your review doesn't go into a lot of detail in this regard, so it's difficult to place it anywhere other than "they are not a Beats sounding headphone".

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 9
They have less mid bass than the Momentums and Sony MDR-1a.

On first listen, I found them a bit uninvolving because the bass has less quantity. I spent this afternoon with them and funnily enough, I've developed slightly more respect for them.

With some recordings, bass seems really good while with others, it feels as though it has been turned down!! With a solid recording, the Rockall sounds very 'clear' and quite analytical. Spoken voices are good with no bloom on mens' voices at all, so there is no beefing up of the mid bass that so many lifestyle headphones show.

With a strong mid bass hump there, headphones instantly sound attractive which is what the Senn and Sony both do. Because the Rockall doesn't have it, it seems lacking but with longer listening, it's actually quite a nice headphone.

Treble is sharper than both mdr1a and Momentum. The Momentum sounds comparatively rolled away and a lot more bloated.

I'd say that the Momentum and Sony are south of the middle area where the Rockall is north of the mid. The result is a headphone that can sound quite aggressive by comparison but it really isn't as poor a headphone as I thought it might be before I got it today.

It kind of reminds me of the Senn hd598 in terms of timbre.

It also plays louder than the Senn from an IPod at the same volume setting, so I guess it must be a bit more sensitive as well.

In the UK, it's selling at £49.99 and for what you get, this is a great price. We're at around the same price as a Portapro and this is built like a tank.

I'm not fussed about the shiny metal cups really, but I get the feeling that they are pretty dead to sound, which may be why they sound so harshly realistic with voice perhaps? They certainly don't try to put a colouration over what is being played as much as the Momentum or Sony, which you can tell straight away from their signature sounds.

If anything, this kind of lacks a signature even to the point of 'bland' but it's not actually bad. (I know that sounds odd)

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 9
They have less mid bass than the Momentums and Sony MDR-1a.

On first listen, I found them a bit uninvolving because the bass has less quantity. I spent this afternoon with them and funnily enough, I've developed slightly more respect for them.

With some recordings, bass seems really good while with others, it feels as though it has been turned down!! With a solid recording, the Rockall sounds very 'clear' and quite analytical. Spoken voices are good with no bloom on mens' voices at all, so there is no beefing up of the mid bass that so many lifestyle headphones show.

With a strong mid bass hump there, headphones instantly sound attractive which is what the Senn and Sony both do. Because the Rockall doesn't have it, it seems lacking but with longer listening, it's actually quite a nice headphone.

Treble is sharper than both mdr1a and Momentum. The Momentum sounds comparatively rolled away and a lot more bloated.

I'd say that the Momentum and Sony are south of the middle area where the Rockall is north of the mid. The result is a headphone that can sound quite aggressive by comparison but it really isn't as poor a headphone as I thought it might be before I got it today.

It kind of reminds me of the Senn hd598 in terms of timbre.

It also plays louder than the Senn from an IPod at the same volume setting, so I guess it must be a bit more sensitive as well.

In the UK, it's selling at £49.99 and for what you get, this is a great price. We're at around the same price as a Portapro and this is built like a tank.

I'm not fussed about the shiny metal cups really, but I get the feeling that they are pretty dead to sound, which may be why they sound so harshly realistic with voice perhaps? They certainly don't try to put a colouration over what is being played as much as the Momentum or Sony, which you can tell straight away from their signature sounds.

If anything, this kind of lacks a signature even to the point of 'bland' but it's not actually bad. (I know that sounds odd)
Can you update your impressions? Did anything changed with time? Have you tried them with different cable and sources? Are this headphones still interesting today and worth buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back