Anyone have tips on recognizing a Fake IE80?
Aug 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 113
With my own counterfeit IE 80s I got from eBay, I've made a little pictorial of my own highlighting what seems to be the differences between genuine and counterfeit IE 80s. I've uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0x6l80zqvl7ngma

Main points:
- The lack of curvature in the "S" of the logo on the counterfeit case
- Missing wire ties on the counterfeit
- Off-center position of the hole for the safety tab (which contributes to the general shoddiness of the counterfeit packaging, such as misplacement of text as mentioned by arctic cougar in his comparison)

edit: Just noticed that there are two instances of the text "UPC" next to the UPC barcode on the counterfeit packaging, one on top and one to the side. You can see it in the third picture in the pictorial I uploaded.

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 113
Thats good to hear! :) 

How long did it take to deliver? 

Also, is there any warranty? I can't read german. I used google translate, no mention of warranty on the listing.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 113
Quote:
With my own counterfeit IE 80s I got from eBay, I've made a little pictorial of my own highlighting what seems to be the differences between genuine and counterfeit IE 80s. I've uploaded it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0x6l80zqvl7ngma

Main points:
- The lack of curvature in the "S" of the logo on the counterfeit case
- Missing wire ties on the counterfeit
- Off-center position of the hole for the safety tab (which contributes to the general shoddiness of the counterfeit packaging, such as misplacement of text as mentioned by arctic cougar in his comparison)

edit: Just noticed that there are two instances of the text "UPC" next to the UPC barcode on the counterfeit packaging, one on top and one to the side. You can see it in the third picture in the pictorial I uploaded.

Thanks! It was really helpful in helping me identify fake IE80s. Just found another fake one on an online site.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 113
Quote:

Thanks! It was really helpful in helping me identify fake IE80s. Just found another fake one on an online site.

+1 -- same here. Just received a fake IE80 from a third party merchant via Amazon. Trying to work with them to get the issue resolved and the IEMs replaced with genuine ones -- let's see how that goes. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 113
Just to name and shame the criminal because it would appear sweet FA is being done by trading standards, action fraud, the police or Ebay to stop him making probably more money than I do from skanking people out of their hard earned cash *drumroll*...

the-iphone-man

Currently selling lots of new without tags Casio watches, more headphones etc
I'd love to say I'm not bitter but I really am. Makes me sick. When I was deciding whether or not I could really justify buying a MacBook and coming to the conclusion that I couldn't, it crossed my mind that if this guy sells 10 pairs of headphones he could get one without having left his bedroom playing computer games, that's not right.

Feels slightly better to vent. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #23 of 113
Quote:
Just to name and shame the criminal because it would appear sweet FA is being done by trading standards, action fraud, the police or Ebay to stop him making probably more money than I do from skanking people out of their hard earned cash *drumroll*...
the-iphone-man
Currently selling lots of new without tags Casio watches, more headphones etc
I'd love to say I'm not bitter but I really am. Makes me sick. When I was deciding whether or not I could really justify buying a MacBook and coming to the conclusion that I couldn't, it crossed my mind that if this guy sells 10 pairs of headphones he could get one without having left his bedroom playing computer games, that's not right.
Feels slightly better to vent. Thanks for listening to my rant.

intentionally selling counterfeit goods is a federal violation; you've reported him, no?
at the very least, alert him of it and hope he gives you your money back.
edit: wow, totally went above my head there; I need sleep -_-

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #26 of 113
I have recently purchased a pair of IE80 directly from Amazon for $449, and it arrived last week.

I took some pictures of the ie80 and hope it would further provide fellow head-fiers with some reference/information on how to identify a genuine set.

The box is as described by earlier member, the "d' should have good spacing between the printed words above. The "SENNHEISER" at the bottom is also nicely centered inside the blue rectangular background.

IMG_2469_zpsc7321e0e.jpg
IMG_24711_zps413f0090.jpg

I compared my set with my buddy's ie80 which he purchased about a year and half ago also with an authorized Sennheiser dealer. I noticed the newer version IE80's Sennheiser logo looks a bit "burned" where the older version's logo looks more clean like it was etched or punched in.

Another difference I noticed is the bass tuning port. The newer IE80 (my set) is closer to the surface of the face plate, while the older version is more recessed. It's harder to tell the difference by looking at the picture but with naked eyes the difference is more noticeable.

IMG_2466_zpsbb73148f.jpg
IMG_2463_zps173c1f52.jpg

This is a picture I took on my friend's IE80, you can see more clearly that the bass tuning port is very recessed inside the shell.

IMG_2462_zps844c618d.jpg

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #28 of 113
Id buy from a authorised dealer, the thing being that sennheiser only warranty stuff from authorised dealers even the hd650 which as far i know ar'nt copied if their sold below sennheisers minimal price range then sennheisers wont warranty them even though their genuine.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #29 of 113
I bought the IE80s for 80 euros from China. I was really afraid that they were fakes, but comparing all these photos I'm sure that I have the real ones.

I did buy from an ebay seller that had 1000+ positive reviews. But still, how did I get them for 80 euros, including shipping fees?!?

Also they sound real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back