Anyone got an AudioLineOut line-out?
Dec 23, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #196 of 216
yes, i am well aware of that. I didn't buy good canalphones and a headphone amp to add to the source, but rather to get the best out of it. So I'm wondering if the sik ram din is indeed a bad lineout, or if a higher interconnect or lineout will make a big difference in my listening. For example, the Ety ER-4S definitely made a big difference. But certain things like, a 9.6v battery instead of a standard 9v (8.4v) don't make a very noticeable difference in a headphone amp. Nor does say, 256kbps mp3 vs 320kbps. So I ask if the diifference is very subtle or something dramatic.

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #197 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i am well aware of that. I didn't buy good canalphones and a headphone amp to add to the source, but rather to get the best out of it. So I'm wondering if the sik ram din is indeed a bad lineout, or if a higher interconnect or lineout will make a big difference in my listening. For example, the Ety ER-4S definitely made a big difference. But certain things like, a 9.6v battery instead of a standard 9v (8.4v) don't make a very noticeable difference in a headphone amp. Nor does say, 256kbps mp3 vs 320kbps. So I ask if the diifference is very subtle or something dramatic.

i have a cardas 6" mini to mini and a cryojumbo mini to mini by alo. with careful listening in a quiet environment i can discern a "subtle" difference but nothing comparable to changing the source or the cans...the cardas is 22awg copper and was $18 and the cryo $170...

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #199 of 216
I have an Ipod 80 GB and a Tomahawk. I also have e500's. I do not have any cables to connect the Ipod to the Tomahawk. Please let me know what is the best cable to get. That will give me the best sound.
Thanks,
Davey

Dec 23, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #200 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveypadot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Ipod 80 GB and a Tomahawk. I also have e500's. I do not have any cables to connect the Ipod to the Tomahawk. Please let me know what is the best cable to get. That will give me the best sound.
Thanks,
Davey

Davey,
This one has the best sound I've heard, yet. It's an ALO Multi-Array SaltyPepper Dock. I use it with my UM2's and it sounds amazing!

100_0861.jpg

Dec 23, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #201 of 216
Quote:

Thanks,
Davey

OR if you want something a bit cheaper, I recommend the Cryo Dock or Copper Dock.

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #202 of 216
the mini to dock would probably sound similar in tone character compared to the mini to mini; some will disagree i'm sure, if you take into consideration the integrity of the contacts, solder and soldering technique...

but, what i'm trying to get at is that the interconnect between you source, an ipod lineout with no modifications, and the portable amp will make a substantially lesser difference in SQ than, let's say, the cable between you portable amp and your cans/iem...

for a $170 cryojumbo, you should first really look into upgrading your amp or source, like getting a 4th gen ipod and getting the RWA imod done by vinnie...now, the source will match the cable...

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #204 of 216
Quote:

I have been hearing about the imod. What does that do for an Ipod. Please explain.
Thanks

i won't go into technical jargon but let's just generalize by saying that the ipod is made up of average and cheap circuitry components, in an effort by apple to minimize cost and maximize profit margin. what vinnie of RWA does is replace, shorten and clear up the current signal path to maximize the integrity of the original recorded source without compromising the interface nor physical attributes of the ipod. what you get is incredibly low electrostatic floor noise and clearer and more salient music on par with $750+ CD source components...

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #205 of 216
Thank you for the reply. I am going to get a better soud quality with the imod and a high end mini to mini cable pluged into my tomahawk than just using an interconnect from my current ipod to the tomahawk?

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #206 of 216
Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I am going to get a better soud quality with the imod and a high end mini to mini cable pluged into my tomahawk than just using an interconnect from my current ipod to the tomahawk?

sound quality wise, yes. but, like most components, the imod requires a "burn in" period of at least 100 hours to stabilize the capacitors that vinnie puts in connected to the headphone jack...you may not notice any significant differnece once you receive the modified ipod from vinnie, but you will, after the burn in period.

what interconnect are you using right now? you will need a mini to mini cable for the imod to a portable amp...

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #208 of 216
All this talk about interconnect matching the source or amp. Does an ALO mini-mini match a shuffle and Go Vibe 5?

Basically, where do you draw the line bewteen where your amp is what's the "bottleneck" when you have an interconnect like an ALO, and where's the line for when the source/media player is the bottlneck???

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #209 of 216
Quote:

if you were thinking of getting the imod for your ipod, you can pretty much forget it as you mentioned that you have the 5G 80GB version. Vinnie only does the imod on 4th gen ipods

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #210 of 216
does somebody know what ken means by this and whether or not it's better than the cryo copper:

Extremely high purity (exceeding 6/9) copper wire, cast as opposed to drawn, single crystal (125 meters per crystal) copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back