Anyone got an alignment protractor?
Nov 9, 2001 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

huy_ha

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Anyone have an extra cartridge alignment protractor or one they don't use any more? I know I can get one for the price of an SASE from enjoythemusic.com, but no one knows how long it takes.

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 3
I got one from enjoythemusic.com about a week to ten days after I put my envelope in the mail. It's a nice little cardboard protractor, set to Baerwald alignment, and the price is right. I verified the alignment with my other protractors, and it's accurate.

If you want to buy a protractor, try www.turntablebasics.com They have a reasonably-priced ($20) mirrored protractor that's pretty nice, particularly since Lyle stopped making theirs. You'll need to know whether your table has a standard or oversized spindle, as they have separate protractors for each.

Or, it's pretty easy to make your own. Homebrew method: simply use graph paper (paste onto thin cardboard for stiffness if desired). Put three dots along one straight line. The first dot will be the exact center point for a hole for your turntable's spindle. A second dot should be placed 2.6 inches from the first, and a third 4.75 inches from the first. Then punch or drill a hole the width of your spindle, with the first dot at the center of the hole (that's the tough part). Trim as desired. With the protractor on the spindle, you want your cartridge squared against the graph paper, with your stylus placed exactly at either the second or third dot. Once your cartridge is squared at both points, you've got correct Baerwald alignment. (If your stylus or cantilever is not properly aligned in the cartridge, you may not have complete alignment, but it's about as good as you're going to get visually)

Nov 9, 2001 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the info, Hirsch. I guess I'll take the 34 cent plunge for a protractor, which is cheaper than a ream of graph paper. I'm such a miser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back