Anyone got a GPS???
Mar 26, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by IMEP
As for tall buildings and tree cover: If your GPS has a external antenna jack, you can use an amplified antenna that will greatly improve satellite reception.

I use a GPS City Titan III antenna with my 12XL. It was cheaper and has a longer cable than my Garmin antenna. I also found that the Titan provides better tracking (i.e. higher gain) and lower battery drain.

Just FYI for anyone thinking of getting a remote antenna for their Garmin.

D.

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 35
Ipaq 2215 + Belkin bluetooth gps with Intellinav software

Destinator3 on order

Wife doesn't get lost anymore
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 35
I got one and I keep buying books tryin' to figure out how to work the little person. Clearly a case of equipment smarter than user. I even got a video but I fell asleep watchin' it. Most handhelds I've seen bear little resemblance to the ones in cars and god help you if you're looking for software/maps and use a Mac. I often carry it in the backcountry but I'm not sure why. I sometimes think I could call someone on my cell phone and they'd be able to walk me through how to get coordinates out of the thing so they could come save my meat in a helicopter or somethin'.

Er, I mean...
Anybody wanna buy a GPS? It's really easy to use and in case you're super stupid I've got lots of books and even a video that'll help you figure out how to use it. It's a proven device (proved useless to me on many miles of backcountry skiing trips) and it's only been turned on 3 or 4 times. But I'm still alive!
CPW

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #19 of 35
I have units that plug into the computer and use map software. We use them on roadtrips, and with our DIY telescope to set current time and location for the computer that controls the scope. And since there is a standard(NMEA) you can use a computer gps reciver with any program that supports the standard.

Apr 6, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #20 of 35
I use a GPS receiver for research in my metal detecting hobby.

I use special computer software programs to compare newer digital topographic maps to older maps which I digitize (by georeferencing or calibrating them with the software) and combining this with historical documents to find potential locations to search.

By gathering the potentially good waypoints and downloading them to your GPS receiver it is a lot easier to find the exact locations. You're still playing the odds since for a variety of reasons (ie new buildings, paved over parking lots, no permission granted, etc, etc) only a few locations can be searched and even fewer are successful.

But it's still a lot of fun and I've been doing it for many years. Besides it's good exercise and gets me away from the computer and TV.
tongue.gif

Only downside is that I use headphones when detecting and then when I get home I put on my audio headphones for the music. I'm starting to get cauliflower ears
biggrin.gif

Gord SW Ont
600smile.gif

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by erix
I have a Magellan 315 and a Garmin Vista. The magellan locks on to satellites alot quicker than the Garmin but the Garmin is really loaded - 24Mb = I have the entire US map on there!

Does anyone Geocache?

Lot's of fun!

ok,
erix

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to upload the waypoints I create in a Garmin GPS (the eTrex series) to computer to save them and download them back to my GPS whenever I need them?

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Thrasher
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to upload the waypoints I create in a Garmin GPS (the eTrex series) to computer to save them and download them back to my GPS whenever I need them?

Try one of the programs here.

I've used EasyGPS and it's really nice for a free program.

ok,
erix

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote by Thrasher:
Quote:

Yes it is possible. There are both commercial and free software programs which will allow you to easily manage your waypoints in this way (ie upload and download between your computer and GPS receiver, filter the waypoints, etc).

I'm not at my home PC so don't have the free s/w at my fingertips and can't remember their names offhand. Do a search on the internet for waypoint management software. I use a commercial program called OziExplorer ... it costs a few bucks but does so much more especially in the map area. Actually it does not have the strongest waypoint management facility but will easily do what you asked for.

Good luck in your search ... Gord SW Ont.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #24 of 35
I'm a private and microlight/ultralight pilot so I keep a Garmin 295 Pilot. It's an awesome GPS with coloured moving map and changable main database, allowing you to change the US version to a European version. You can also switch over to land mode
cool.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #27 of 35
Apr 10, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #28 of 35
Started with a Garmin 35 ten years ago and then traded to a Garmin 45XL with the directible antennae after encountering lock-on problems. Really handy with loading UTM coordinates for navigation problems during "Old Pa's Excellent Spring Break". Now have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS on order. Geocaching looks interesting. Thanks, erix, for the links.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #30 of 35
Nice necrobump. The title should be changed now to who don´t have a gps. It´s getting silly I soon have a golf watch med dual GPS antennaes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back