Anyone got a good external HD enclosure they're happy with??
Dec 19, 2006 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

KenW

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a need for another external drive and the old bytecc enclosure worked okay but figured there might be something a bit better since I last ordered one. Anyone here got one they have found to be quite nice and reasonably priced?

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 23
What kind of HDD? 3.5"? 2.5"? IDE, SCSI, or Serial ATA? What kind of external connector (ie: USB 2.0, Firewire, ethernet, other)?

Personally, I'd be curious to know about some nice 3.5" IDE to USB 2.0 enclosures. I have a ton of unused discs.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 23
I'm partial to Vantec enclosures. They look nice too, especially the black ones.
biggrin.gif

Linky http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392003
Linky, only usb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145131

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 23
I have the 80GB version of the F.A. Porsche Lacie drive.

There's a good deal now on the 500GB model: LINK

$182.54 if you use Google Checkout!!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the OP properly. Regardless, if you or anyone wants a new drive, I think this is a good deal.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by altempo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

FYI, I won't not recommend a 'all-in-one' external solution since the warranty is only 1 year. If you get the [same] drive separately, you'll probably get between 3 to 7 years of warranty. Just a thought.

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrgeoffrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, I won't not recommend a 'all-in-one' external solution since the warranty is only 1 year. If you get the [same] drive separately, you'll probably get between 3 to 7 years of warranty. Just a thought.

Good point.

Dec 19, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 23
I have one of the AMS Venus enclosures, worth the price imo. I also have 6 of the Kingwin enclosures, only got them because they were cheap. Decent enough I guess, not built that well though
tongue.gif
and they tend to get hot.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people seem to have great luck with the AMS Venus enclosures. I think they're the nicest-looking, too, if a bit pricey.

Looked at those but it appears the Firewire can be a bit fussy. Several complaints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by altempo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the OP properly. Regardless, if you or anyone wants a new drive, I think this is a good deal.

Got one for my Mac already. Nice drive!

Folks seem very pleased with the build quality and performance of the macally enclosures. I'm really leaning that way. Not the prettiest drive but certainly, I'd rather have durability and performance over looks any day. Anyone tried those enclosures?

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 23
I'm pretty portable with the various externals I have plus I usually apply the rubber feet and stack 'em with little trouble if I need. In the end, after reading the reviews on the various enclosures, I decided to go with function/reliability over form and purchased the macally enclosure. Seems to be a real workhorse which is my main concern.

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people seem to have great luck with the AMS Venus enclosures. I think they're the nicest-looking, too, if a bit pricey.

Me 2

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me 2

Me 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back