Anyone got a good external HD enclosure they're happy with??
Apr 19, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #16 of 23
Just an update on that Macally HD enclosure....just in case anyone else stumbles across this thread using the search function. After just 3 months of use, the USB connection died. Both Newegg and Macally were of no help. Macally insisted that I return the item to Newegg. Newegg requests that I return the enclosure insured and at my expense. They will either try to repair the unit or send me a refurb as a replacement and they will try to get it "warranted somehow". Say huh?? Warranted somehow? What does that mean exactly??

Considering the price I paid for this was under $50, a return makes no sense if it's for a refurb. In the end, I'll just use the FireWire connection until it also dies at which point, I'll have a very sexy $50 paper weight.
mad.gif

Bah, quality products and customer service are things of the past I guess.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #19 of 23
I'm probably done with the enclosure route after this last episode. The Macally was reported to be among the most durable and trouble-free units out there from what I was able to read. USB goes down after a few months of light use? Nah, my Lacie is cruising right along with no blips at all. When I reach my limits, I'll buy another, bigger Lacie. Rather spend the $$ on something of quality than mess with the junk that's out there. Problem is that I seem to fill up HD's so darned fast!

Biggest disappointment is in Newegg. I've been a customer for some time and this is the first time I've needed a RMA. The run around they gave me is surprising. Perhaps it's just the rep that I dealt with? Anyway that was the biggest disappointment. $50 is not that big a deal but losing faith in a trusted vendor is IMO. Ah well. In light of recent events, this is certainly no biggie.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #22 of 23
Oooo! That's slick, mofonyx. I'm using some cheap Azio enclosure I got from NewEgg which is adequate, but that X Craft looks way better. Better cooling, better options (especially if your mobo has SATA, though sadly mine doesn't). Very nice!

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using this
87cdb4501b8d489dc7f27239e624b969.jpg

No screws. Heat well dissipated. Mine's always on and it looks great.

CoolerMaster XCraft: http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...&other_title=0

Very nice looking indeed mofonyx.

I'm curious if you are using the USB, Firewire or the eSATA version ?
I havent had any experience yet with eSATA and how it compares with USB and Firewire performance.
Windows XP SP2 which I am using sometimes gives me minor heart attacks with external HDDs. I hope eSATA makes things a bit more dependable.

Thanks, cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back