Anyone from the Philippines here?
Feb 4, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #481 of 589
Dear fellow Pinoy head-fiers,

Uuwi ako ng Pinas by Monday morning (am working in Vietnam for the past 7 years and flies to Manila only 2X a year) for a 4-day holiday break. Any "true" audiophile shop recommendations that I can visit once I am in Manila?

I want to buy some accessories for my hobby which are not available in Vietnam, like Westone IEM silicone star tips, Shure olives (assorted sizes), Shure yellow foam sleeves, the new Fiio K5 dock (for Fiio X7). I might also consider buying a new Westone UM Pro 50 or W60 (depende sa price).

Salamat all!

Try egghead in robinsons galleria they have the most extensive list of audiophile gears that i can think of in the philippines. You can also check their fb page just search egghead audiohub.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #482 of 589

Uuwi ako ng Pinas by Monday morning (am working in Vietnam for the past 7 years and flies to Manila only 2X a year) for a 4-day holiday break. Any "true" audiophile shop recommendations that I can visit once I am in Manila?

I want to buy some accessories for my hobby which are not available in Vietnam, like Westone IEM silicone star tips, Shure olives (assorted sizes), Shure yellow foam sleeves, the new Fiio K5 dock (for Fiio X7). I might also consider buying a new Westone UM Pro 50 or W60 (depende sa price).

Salamat all!

Hey buddy, try egghead at robinsons galleria. They also have a branch now at shangrila edsa for their hi-end offerings.

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #483 of 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctican /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Salamat all!

Egghead (and also Listening in Style if you want to check out other expensive stuff, not much in the way of accessories though) in Shang Mall, spend the whole day there so you can eat lunch and then dinner while looking at audio stuff. I would highly recommend Green Pastures (owned by the same guy who owns Cyma). Get the Pinoy Egg as appetizer (Scotch Egg, but with a soft-boiled duck egg wrapped in garlic longganisa and panko bread crumbs), and then have either the Porchetta Sandwich (lechon belly sandwich, basically), or try the Bleu Ribbon Burger - brisket patty, freshly ground, with bleu cheese and served with a side of fries with powdered duck fat, and preferably have it medium-rare so the brisket retains its somewhat cheese-like flavor.

In case you like your steaks rare (if not blue), try Tender Bob's in Shang. It's a chain resto, but the kitchen staff there never got my steaks wrong, unlike the Greenhills and North EDSA branches. I order my steaks blue, and it comes out as I described - seared almost "tostado" outside, very dark crust, but borderline bloody inside. The other branches have a tendency to hand me a steak with a light grey exterior that is barely a crust, and then totally raw-feeling inside (ie it's not even hot). If you haven't tried Mesa yet, walk over to Megamall (Atrium section) and gorge on their boneless Crispy Pata and Sisig Rice. Emphasis on "walk" because of parking, traffic, and the need to burn off the fat.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #484 of 589
Try egghead in robinsons galleria they have the most extensive list of audiophile gears that i can think of in the philippines. You can also check their fb page just search egghead audiohub.

Salamat, coco8579. I visited their FB page and I am quite happy to know about their existence now. I will definitely visit the shop next week.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #485 of 589

Egghead (and also Listening in Style if you want to check out other expensive stuff, not much in the way of accessories though) in Shang Mall, spend the whole day there so you can eat lunch and then dinner while looking at audio stuff. I would highly recommend Green Pastures (owned by the same guy who owns Cyma). Get the Pinoy Egg as appetizer (Scotch Egg, but with a soft-boiled duck egg wrapped in garlic longganisa and panko bread crumbs), and then have either the Porchetta Sandwich (lechon belly sandwich, basically), or try the Bleu Ribbon Burger - brisket patty, freshly ground, with bleu cheese and served with a side of fries with powdered duck fat, and preferably have it medium-rare so the brisket retains its somewhat cheese-like flavor.

In case you like your steaks rare (if not blue), try Tender Bob's in Shang. It's a chain resto, but the kitchen staff there never got my steaks wrong, unlike the Greenhills and North EDSA branches. I order my steaks blue, and it comes out as I described - seared almost "tostado" outside, very dark crust, but borderline bloody inside. The other branches have a tendency to hand me a steak with a light grey exterior that is barely a crust, and then totally raw-feeling inside (ie it's not even hot). If you haven't tried Mesa yet, walk over to Megamall (Atrium section) and gorge on their boneless Crispy Pata and Sisig Rice. Emphasis on "walk" because of parking, traffic, and the need to burn off the fat.

Thank you, ProtegeManiac. Will definitely visit Egghead.

As for your enticing gastronomic recommendations, I will try these as well! Bukod sa miss ko na ang Pinas, nagutom pa tuloy ako ngayon. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #487 of 589

Hey buddy, try egghead at robinsons galleria. They also have a branch now at shangrila edsa for their hi-end offerings.

Cheers!

I was looking for these shops din. Uuwi din kasi ako on April from US. Di ko na kailangan mag tanong. Papasalamat na lang ako! Thank you guys! Excited na ako umuwi! Sana naman may mga CANJAM din sa Pinas para may mga iba pa akong ma try na HP's.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #488 of 589
  Thank you, ProtegeManiac. Will definitely visit Egghead.

As for your enticing gastronomic recommendations, I will try these as well! Bukod sa miss ko na ang Pinas, nagutom pa tuloy ako ngayon. 

A lot of burger joints at all price points cropped up in Manila, but after having a medium rare Blue Ribbon Burger in Green Pastures, none of them were as satisfying. If anything, the others have bacon, but I can do that at home.

Oh and Green Pastures also has that cheeseburger where the patty is stuffed with bits of slow-cooked beef short rib.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #491 of 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by raypin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm.....nakakagutom. Gotta' try Green Pastures. I hope it's not one of those farm-to-table b.s. resto. I just need a resto joint that serves really good food.

It is, actually. One of the most hilarious exchanges about it was when I told my aunt about the duck fat fries, and she went "I thought it was healthy food," to which I replied "I said organic - that doesn't meant it's healthy when I'm stuffing my mouth with duck fat and short rib-stuffed burgers." Actually one of the reasons why I love the burger is that they grind or mince it when you order (so it takes a while), and ask you how you want it cooked (you have to describe medium rare as "seared on very high heat then rested off the heat, still pink inside," otherwise they serve it medium or medium well).

8 Cuts used to ask how well (or not ) cooked I want my burger, but at some point they stopped asking and I don't specify anymore, as I noticed at that point that they had too many of the meat already prepped as raw meat balls (and then squished before frying) on the resting pans. The problem with their brisket+hanger blend no matter how delicious is that, since they can't keep the interior pink, the lack of fat in those cuts will have that patty shrink when well done, and you get a patty that's smaller than the bun. And the thing is, apart from smoking or braising brisket, the best way to enjoy its beefy flavor is to grind it and eat the burger medium rare (medium at most), so it doesn't shrink and you're still getting mostly meat, not fat (not to mention you have duck fat on the fries, so might as well cut the beef fat). Clean Plate by Twist in TriNoMa also has a great brisket burger that they can serve pink, but they don't serve fries with it (youhave to order it separately), much less season it with duck fat.

I've been meaning to try their steaks but everytime I'm in Shang I likely just passed by for something and already packing steak from Rustans (the one in Gateway is just horrible - their steaks look like sorry pieces of meat, even the Katipunan branch has better steaks). I actually have two things always hidden in my car's trunk: a beer cooler (that I use to transport meat) and my cast iron skillet (because the Hobbits walked all over Middle Earth packing theirs, might as well have one in the car).

Oh and get coffee there too (unless you really need to smoke with it as they don't have an outdoor area) as they have beans from Mt.Province. Skip the Barako since that's available in many other places, like Figaro.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #493 of 589
Hey guys! Kumusta? Kakadating lang ng income tax return ko. So I thought na maglaan ng konting budget for a CIEM. Kaso alanganin na yung oras ko dito sa US. I only have 56 days left here. kukuha pa ng impressions ng ear ko then ship ko pa sa brand na gusto ko. Tapos maghihintay pa ako ng ilang days or week for the shipping of the item. I will be returning na din naman sa Pinas. Mas maganda na siguro sa Flipears ako magpagawa. Cheaper na and 30 days lang siguro tapos na yung CIEM na gusto ko. Kaso wala akong mahanap na reviews or impression man lang. Balak ko sana kumuha ng FlipEars XXX triple BA Drivers. Anyone na pwedeng mag share ng impression nila? Or baka mag hanap na lang ako ng much better universal iem like the one in westones. Thanks guys!

Sino pala pupunta ng CanJam sa Singapore? Pictures naman!

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #494 of 589
Mmm...pare, you can't rush ciems. What I mean is you need time to make everything right. Audition universal demos is a must because once you have ordered, there is no going back. If you already have a preferred brand and model, you can always have it done Stateside and have it shipped to the Philippines if you are pressed for time. There are some who have tried Flipears (I hope they are monitoring this thread). If you have not made up your mind, you can always audition Flipears and then decide. Note that a number of well-known ciem brands are carried here: Noble, AAW, Hidition, Vision Ears, 1964 Ears, Lear, Rhines, Unique Melody and Empire Ears.

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #495 of 589
Mmm...pare, you can't rush ciems. What I mean is you need time to make everything right. Audition universal demos is a must because once you have ordered, there is no going back. If you already have a preferred brand and model, you can always have it done Stateside and have it shipped to the Philippines if you are pressed for time. There are some who have tried Flipears (I hope they are monitoring this thread). If you have not made up your mind, you can always audition Flipears and then decide. Note that a number of well-known ciem brands are carried here: Noble, AAW, Hidition, Vision Ears, 1964 Ears, Lear, Rhines, Unique Melody and Empire Ears.

Wow I didnt know na yung Noble, AAW, 64 Audio (1964 Ears), and Lear meron na sa Pilipinas. Outdated talaga ako. Sino naman dealers ng mga to? EGGHEAD? Ayoko kasi mag order dito sa US tapos mag pa shipped pa ako sa Pilipinas. Alam nyo naman customs natin, kundi tax problema mawawala nalang yung item. Thank you sa info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back