Anyone from the Philippines here?
Jul 11, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #421 of 589
  mmm......sarap! Yum! Ostrich tastes like.....errr.....chicken, right? Just like alligator meat, lizard meat etc. If so, why don't we just eat chicken? Chicken, the orignal chicken.

The tenderloin actually tastes a bit like beef, without the "sebo," which can be good or bad. Normally I'd say it's bad, since I love that flavor of beef fat (just look what I do to the fat I trim off the striploin, and I save that oil for deep frying crispy tadyang; don't even get me started on Grade 8 Wagyu whahaha), but basically it's a "sebo-free" tenderloin flavor. In effect it has slightly less flavor, but that can be seen as an advantage for the fancy sauces people do tenderloin steaks with. Another way of looking at ostrich tenderloin is that it's the alternative to the beef tenderloin if you don't like any cut of meat from lamb (some people don't like the taste of lamb sebo - my father's side is from Region 1 and none of them eat goat nor lamb). I don't know about the other parts as I haven't eaten the others. Mesa also serves Ostrich bistek, but not a thick cut like this.

As for alligators, I can't eat them. I have a kind of rule about not eating larger predators that basically goes "if I can toss scraps and left overs from my plate to a particular animal, I consider that animal a kindred carnivore and potential pet, limited only by my resources and handling skills." I love Metallica, but I hated James Hetfield more for narrating a bear hunt than when they did St.Anger (I actually like Reload), because I see them as pets and crocodilians and raptors aren't any less "pets" to me. That, plus the Polish Army's Private Wojtek, raised on canned milk and later, beer (basically, what my Mom and Dad taught me to drink before bedtime, respectively).

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #423 of 589
For me nothing can beat this combo...

Jul 11, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #424 of 589
  mmm.....I wish I had such a well-educated and adventurous palate. I once ate a <controversial-to-eat> on a dare from my drunken friends. Barf! Never again.

I can guess but not in the open (since it's controversial). Yep, never eat that again.

On to more palatable stuff...try the Blue Ribbon Burger in Green Pastures, in the new wing of the ShangRiLa Mall. My cousin kept nagging me to try it, so when I went to that mall to check out  some audio gear in LIS with a friend, he also suggested we eat there because he likes all the restos by the owner of the place (Cibo, Charlie's, etc). I ordered that burger - made of a brisket patty then topped with blue cheese - with a side of duckfat fries, and then they asked me how I want the burger done. I asked when they'd grind it, and they said only upon ordering. She barely finished that sentence when I said, "rare!" Used to be I only eat rare burgers at steakhouses where they grind older steaks right before you order and also if they also serve Steak Tartare (minced sirloin topped with a raw egg), but "fresh grind" had me sold on it. Nice sear all over the exterior, all pink inside...and the natural flavor of brisket enhanced by that bleu cheese on top. WOW.

As everyone reading might glean from my posts, yep, I combine audio with food tripping. Like that other time I brought a Burson Soloist review unit to that same mall to try with other sources, and I went to Tender Bob's for a giant ribeye. Little girl in the next booth was looking at me funny, I realized it must be the very red steak slice on my fork, so for the next bite I turned it so she can see how red it is and then I let the "blood" ooze out the side of my mouth. Her jaw dropped and she was ready to freak out, it was so hilarious!

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #425 of 589
Mmm......loo! Kala niya dracula ka! I'm a sucker for good burgers. What I miss most is Elbert's burger at Powerplant Mall (pure, clean-tasting burger patty from Wisconsin (I think)  with two slices of provolone on perfect buns with home-style fries. The place has since moved to the deep South (that's what I call Alabang, lol!). Drooling now......Applebee's opening this month at Eastwood City. I hope their burgers are worth the traffic going  there. Omg......I just fired up Foobar on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3, connected to the CDM  and Layla, playing Amber Rubarth Sessions from the 17th Ward ......really good. I wish In n Out would set up here. I miss it a lot.  

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #426 of 589
Guys where you do you buy your gears in the Philippines(Metro Manila)? So I know where to go when I come back to Philippines next year. :)

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #427 of 589
Egghead Audiohub in Robinsons Galleria, ground floor, near Watsons. They also have a Facebook page.

Listening Room in Megamall, 4th floor, is good too. Both stores usually carry the same brands, but Listening Room also has home theater stuff if you're into it. But Egghead's prices can be lower at times.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #428 of 589
  Egghead Audiohub in Robinsons Galleria, ground floor, near Watsons. They also have a Facebook page.

Listening Room in Megamall, 4th floor, is good too. Both stores usually carry the same brands, but Listening Room also has home theater stuff if you're into it. But Egghead's prices can be lower at times.

Thank you! I will go to these stores when Im there already. I wish they will have the brands like Beyerdynamic, HIFIMAN, Fostex and Audeze. I want to experience this CANS hands on.

Anyways, what do you think with my setup? HIFIMAN HE-400S and ifi MICRO iDSD(this one raped my bank account)? I am also planning to buy a portable DAP (any suggestion) to replace my ipod 4th gen and android phone.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #430 of 589
  Guys where you do you buy your gears in the Philippines(Metro Manila)? So I know where to go when I come back to Philippines next year. :)

Listening In Style in EDSA ShangRiLa Mall also has headphone stuff, but they have really good speaker equipment like Dynaudio. AVDI on the other side of the mall has Focal and Perreaux. 

While you're at it, have a meal at Green Pastures in the new wing. I recommend the Bleu Ribbon Burger - freshly ground brisket patty topped with blue cheese served with duckfat fries. The Ribeye is also good but not necessarily something you can't get at a good steakhouse (which also has good burgers, but if you're at a steakhouse, why order a burger, right?).

Mmm......loo! Kala niya dracula ka! I'm a sucker for good burgers. What I miss most is Elbert's burger at Powerplant Mall (pure, clean-tasting burger patty from Wisconsin (I think)  with two slices of provolone on perfect buns with home-style fries. The place has since moved to the deep South (that's what I call Alabang, lol!). Drooling now......Applebee's opening this month at Eastwood City. I hope their burgers are worth the traffic going  there. Omg......I just fired up Foobar on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3, connected to the CDM  and Layla, playing Amber Rubarth Sessions from the 17th Ward ......really good. I wish In n Out would set up here. I miss it a lot.  

I was never a fan of Applebee's, not even in the US, and IHOP hasn't brought their good burger over. In the US they have the Bacon Beef Bacon Cheeseburger - a beef patty that has bacon bits in it, plus crispy bacon strips and American cheddar cheese. In short, a heart attack sandwich.

Oh, wait, speaking of heart attack, ever heard of the Heart Attack Grill in Arizona and Las Vegas? Staff are dressed like nurses, paramedics, and doctors. If you're over 300lbs you eat free. The burgers are labelled as Single/Double/Triple/Quadruple Bypass, depending on how many patties, and you can still order extra bacon. Fries are deep fried in pork lard. We ate there and my brother got a headache whahahaha and we just had brunch in Subway a couple of hours before, where I downed a whole Italian meatball "footlong." I gained 25lbs in the US, but shed it within two months when I got back - no special exercise, I just for the most part started sweating and walking a lot more. More so because that involved lugging around a bag with a laptop in it.

For me nothing can beat this combo...

If you're into cooking, there's something better than canned fish. Buy dried white fish from Farmer's (the meaty dried fish), rehydrate them and replacing the water several times to wash off the salt, then cook it as Bacalao (salted codfish stew with tomatoes). Use as much chili pepper and Sriracha plus another hot sauce as you like. Eat that with Skyflakes (topping off each 1/3 section with the bacalao and eating in one bite) then downed with Red Horse or Pale Pilsen; then in the morning, eat the leftovers in pan de sal with bacon and egg. I serve it like Eggs Benedict on large Pan De Sals, with bacon bits on the bacalao and then over the eggs. Down it with good Barako which if properly brewed is bitter but not in any way brackish even without sugar (maybe just a little milk).

Alternately, you can also have it with cheap, sweet wine like Novelino, and then for breakfast, really thick hot chocolate. Use rich, heavy cocoa and boil the water off, rather than the American method which is to add marshmallows (which double as sweeteners).

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #431 of 589
mmm.....I don't mean to badmouth The Listening Room (Megamall) but they are not as open to auditioning headphones/in-ears/amp/amp dacs as Egghead Audiohub at Robinson's Galleria. I think the problem is their staff are not really into headphones. They just do sales . For headfi gear, Egghead Audiohub provides superior service and advice. That's my impression of dealing with both outfits. Sorry, just an honest feedback. I buy stuff from both stores.  

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #432 of 589

Thank you! I will go to these stores when Im there already. I wish they will have the brands like Beyerdynamic, HIFIMAN, Fostex and Audeze. I want to experience this CANS hands on.

Anyways, what do you think with my setup? HIFIMAN HE-400S and ifi MICRO iDSD(this one raped my bank account)? I am also planning to buy a portable DAP (any suggestion) to replace my ipod 4th gen and android phone.

mmm....I love the iFi Micro iDSD. For DAP, any will do since the iFI has lots of input connections, although a DAP with optical or coaxial out  will be the best pairing. My fave: AK 240 + iFi Micro. I always have fun playing with the 3D + X Bass of the Micro. Beyerdynamics and Fostex are hard to come by here (although you can do an indent order, but that will takes months to happen). Hifiman has an official distributor here. Audeze is also available here.  If you really need/want the Fostex or Beyerdynamic, I suggest you drop by HK first before flying to Manila. My fave shop there: Jaben HK in the heart of Mongkok. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff and wall-to-wall headfi gear. I usually stay at the cheap Fortune Hotel just a few floors up when I go headphone buying there. Cheap room/expensive headphones. Go figure. lol!

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #433 of 589
For a budget DAP use your Android phone and attach an OTG cable to you're iFi Micro iDSD. Install Hibymusic (Free) from Play Store to pass through your music to your DAC/Amp.

Like this.

Jul 12, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #434 of 589
I love this thread! 
smily_headphones1.gif

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back