Anyone from the Philippines here?
Jul 5, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #406 of 589
  Andito ba yung mga umorder sa FlipEars?
Balita ko yung sa isa parating na ah. Sunday yata makukuha.

Anyway just curious if they will be posting about FlipEars here at Head-fi. It might create some interest on our local CIEMs, and I'm not sure if Mr. Sales and his company is prepared with catering to international customers.

i go here to checkout the latest and greatest from time to time and i've had my flipears for almost a month now.

there are 3 of us who posted our flipears review here: http://www.tipidpc.com/viewtopic.php?tid=200065&page=1469

also note that we all asked for different tunings for our ciems so our descriptions are limited to our own units. there are two 2 things that we kind of agree on: sound stage and warm top end

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #407 of 589
Hello guys! Good to see you all here. I am just new to this Forum. I am born and raised in the Philippines. But for now I am here in the U.S. I was looking for a good High End Head Phones but ended up wanting the brand new HiFiman He-400S (2015) not just because it is cheaper ($299) than what I was looking for (Beyer T90). Kumusta pala kayo?

Jul 8, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #408 of 589
Mmm....welcome fellow flip. Weather is bad here right now. Drinking some mojitos at TGIF while listening to classic rock n' roll and Apo Hiking Society on my Layla. Manila is under 20 feet of flood water but who cares for as long as we have karaoke, Cerveza Negra and pulutan. Cheers!

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #410 of 589
Mmm....welcome fellow flip. Weather is bad here right now. Drinking some mojitos at TGIF while listening to classic rock n' roll and Apo Hiking Society on my Layla. Manila is under 20 feet of flood water but who cares for as long as we have karaoke, Cerveza Negra and pulutan. Cheers!

Cerveza Negra goes better with sweet deserts like really rich chocolate cake (as long as you're not one with irritable bowel syndrome when chocolate, milk, and beer go in all at the same time), lagers and pilsner (ie Pale Pilsen) for savory food 
atsmile.gif

My favorite combo when it's raining and I'm cooking at home (indoors) is a 1.25in thick New York strip steak (Aussie beef from Shopwise because I'm cheap) with the fats trimmed. I use a thick cast iron skillet to toast the fat, drain them of oil and then sear the steak on the skillet for 1minute on each side, dropping herb butter in after the flip. I then eat the toasted fats with my rare steak in front of the TV, feet up, plate on my lap, pocket knife in one hand and Pale Pilsen in the other, and the blood red juices are the only sauce I need for it. After that, I lazily dump the plates in the sink (I only wash the skillet, since cast iron needs a bit of care especially in our humid climate), then grab a Cerveza Negra and a slice of whatever cake is in the fridge. I highly recommend German Triple Chocolate, or any rich, dark chocolate cake (even brownies). After all that if there's any papaitan in the freezer I heat it in the microwave (yeah, I take my soup last, to aid digestion) and maybe another Pale.

Word of caution though - do not eat like that on a daily basis, it will kill you 
k701smile.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #411 of 589
Mmm.....lol! Fellow foodie din pala. Calories schamlories. If it is your time to die, it's your time to die. I just hope that when ti happens, I'm wearing my favorite headcans (die happy).

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #412 of 589
Mmm.....lol! Fellow foodie din pala. Calories schamlories. If it is your time to die, it's your time to die. I just hope that when ti happens, I'm wearing my favorite headcans (die happy).

When I have time (ie my hands are clean and I'm not too hungry), I whip out a camera and document what I eat. Then I post them late at night to piss off my friends who reply, "BAKIT GANITONG ORAS KA NAG-UUPLOAD?!?!" Like what I'm gonna do here, for those in the same time zone 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Tenderloin steaks searing in a pool of beef fat (I toasted the fats from two striploins but forgot to serve them when I cooked at a friend's house)

Steaks sliced and topped with toasted fats, couldn't find my pocket knife (I found it in my pants before throwing them into the washing machine)

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #413 of 589
mmm......in your expert opinion, which headphones pair well with steaks? <toink> Me? I can't afford to buy steaks. My wallet just got raped when I ordered the HE1K. So, all I can afford to eat is tuyo (dried fish) and sinangag (fried rice) for the next 12 months.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #414 of 589
  mmm......in your expert opinion, which headphones pair well with steaks? <toink> Me? I can't afford to buy steaks. My wallet just got raped when I ordered the HE1K. So, all I can afford to eat is tuyo (dried fish) and sinangag (fried rice) for the next 12 months.

I'll never deprive my stomach, not even for Focal Utopias - I need to be well-fed to enjoy everything else. Also I get my steaks from Shopwise, where a 1.25in thick striploin is around P150 to P170 each  - compare that to Tender Bob's where the same size steak can be around P550 (and I've sent some back because sometimes the cook in the back can't sear it properly to have a thin sear and under- or overcook the center). Toss in potatoes
or leftover paella and sweat cooking it at home, and it's not that much more expensive than fast food. Proper thick skillets are around P1,400, cast iron or stainless (if you're lazy stainless is easier to clean with baking soda). I use a coffee+paprika+course grind pepper dry rub along with rock salt.

I don't match headphones to food, but I match the music to whatever we're eating - like one time I was searing 1.75in thick ribeyes over a mountain of charcoal, and I played tracks like "Fuel" (while splashing starter fluid on the charcoal), "Rein In Blood," and "Wait and Bleed," which got my friends laughing as I lit the fire, then later sliced the steaks, the pink juices mixed with the roasted bits and the carving board looks like an Aztec altar.
tongue.gif

Another time we played blues while I sauteed tiger prawn fresh from Farmer's Market in Cubao, but of course instead of the usual Louisiana recipes I sauteed them in palm oil, then ground the black pepper over them as they cooked, and finally splashed some Sriracha and a bit of curry powder before the final toss. When I bring home salmon or tuna I just slice them into strips, sit in front of the computer, and eat them raw while listening to Noh - like Atsumori and Sisa (yes, there's a Noh based on Rizal's work).

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #415 of 589

Cerveza Negra goes better with sweet deserts like really rich chocolate cake (as long as you're not one with irritable bowel syndrome when chocolate, milk, and beer go in all at the same time), lagers and pilsner (ie Pale Pilsen) for savory food 
atsmile.gif

My favorite combo when it's raining and I'm cooking at home (indoors) is a 1.25in thick New York strip steak (Aussie beef from Shopwise because I'm cheap) with the fats trimmed. I use a thick cast iron skillet to toast the fat, drain them of oil and then sear the steak on the skillet for 1minute on each side, dropping herb butter in after the flip. I then eat the toasted fats with my rare steak in front of the TV, feet up, plate on my lap, pocket knife in one hand and Pale Pilsen in the other, and the blood red juices are the only sauce I need for it. After that, I lazily dump the plates in the sink (I only wash the skillet, since cast iron needs a bit of care especially in our humid climate), then grab a Cerveza Negra and a slice of whatever cake is in the fridge. I highly recommend German Triple Chocolate, or any rich, dark chocolate cake (even brownies). After all that if there's any papaitan in the freezer I heat it in the microwave (yeah, I take my soup last, to aid digestion) and maybe another Pale.

Word of caution though - do not eat like that on a daily basis, it will kill you 
k701smile.gif

Reading this right now makes me drool! Hahahahaha! Gonna try it later.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #416 of 589
Reading this right now makes me drool! Hahahahaha! Gonna try it later.

For commercially available rubs, try McCormick's Montreal Steak rub, but put a little (ground rock) salt on the steak prior to the dry rub and maybe a little bit of ground black pepper too, massaged into the meat. You can spike the Montreal rub with some fineBarako, 1 part to 1/2 part. Just don't go too crazy when coating with the rub since this is still a steak, not a thick whole slab for slower roasting or smoking.

Here's another image to ruin diets, but my friend had a covered area of his roofdeck so the storm didn't stop us from using his high-output gas grill. Forgot to take photos after slicing (too hungry) but it was smoking hot but still very red on the inside, just how we like it. Herbs on top were from compound butter I made the day before (just Google how to make those, some delis sell that but it's expensive - cheaper to use 100% butter and fresh herbs at home). 

I'm promoting beef consumption because then more people in Batangas might start breeding better cattle here (coincidentally, the friend whose house we cooked in is from Batangas, but their business is chocolate and coffee), and also to prove that there's decent beef in this country for not a lot of money (which for now is thanks to Australia). Just avoid SM - their beef is either freezer burned brown or suspiciously too red.

Oh and don't forget the sound track - when I do steak au poivre with tenderloin I listen to opera. That gets better if you lay down a slab of foie gras over the steak when you serve it (mind the blood pressure and uric acid levels though).

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #417 of 589
Wow, Good Music+Good Food=PARADISE. Finally the weather is somehow fair here in Manila. Anyway,man, those CIEMs made by FlipEars are gorgeous! I'll save up for them in the future! Btw, I just bought an Ostry KC06a, they sound fantastic for the price! I hope the weather will be better in the coming days. Cheers and ingat mga kababayan! 
etysmile.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #418 of 589
  Wow, Good Music+Good Food=PARADISE. Finally the weather is somehow fair here in Manila. Anyway,man, those CIEMs made by FlipEars are gorgeous! I'll save up for them in the future! Btw, I just bought an Ostry KC06a, they sound fantastic for the price! I hope the weather will be better in the coming days. Cheers and ingat mga kababayan! 
etysmile.gif

Filipino minds are never far from food, our cuisine has just not developed for commercial consumption everywhere else because a lot of our stews are...well...not very photogenic. A restaurant in Makati called "Damaso," among many others, is changing that. We rarely go to Makati because of the traffic jam and the MRT congestion unless we really have to, or we go on a Sunday - or it's the November HiFi show, in which case we go on Sunday. Ever since I discovered this restaurant nearly every time I'm in Makati I eat in that place.

Here's Damaso's Ostrich tenderloin ala Bistek (we asked for medium rare) served with fried bananas. It's basically cooked like Steak Au Poivre but with soy sauce and onions instead of pepper gravy. They can also do this with beef ribeye, because one time my friend's pregnant wife was craving beef (which is what we grill at their place). The only thing I consider frustrating about this is that we farmed an imported giant bird a lot faster than breeding cross-breeding local cattle with Scottish Angus.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #419 of 589
mmm......sarap! Yum! Ostrich tastes like.....errr.....chicken, right? Just like alligator meat, lizard meat etc. If so, why don't we just eat chicken? Chicken, the orignal chicken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back