Anyone follow MLS ?
Jul 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
Just wondering if anyone here watches football (soccer), if they seen David Beckham played yet and how much is better (if he is) than the others?

The reason I am asking is that I found out today that Juan Pablo Angel is the leading goal scorer at the moment
basshead.gif

I am shocked ! Literally fell off my seat, checked wiki and he's scored 9 goals in 11 games !!! LOL
blink.gif
He wasn't half that good back in England.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 19
not really, but i did go to a DC United vs FC Dallas game last weekend in DC... was entertaining game to say the least

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 19
David Beckham is a celebrity more then a great footballer. He doesn't show boat and I can never pick him out from the rest of his team. He did get a lot of fan fair when he came to the states, but MLS is still not on TV much. I don't think he's going to change the enthusiasm level of soccer in the States (IE it's never going to compete with baseball, basketball, or American football here). IMO, it's a good team that wins over one or two strong players. Watching the US during the World Cup is always a disappointment.....they seem to have good ball control and defense, but always a bad offense. Well we'll see how they do with a new coach.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David Beckham is a celebrity more then a great footballer. He doesn't show boat and I can never pick him out from the rest of his team. He did get a lot of fan fair when he came to the states, but MLS is still not on TV much. I don't think he's going to change the enthusiasm level of soccer in the States (IE it's never going to compete with baseball, basketball, or American football here). IMO, it's a good team that wins over one or two strong players. Watching the US during the World Cup is always a disappointment.....they seem to have good ball control and defense, but always a bad offense. Well we'll see how they do with a new coach.

You can easily spot Beckham on the pitch, no one passes the way he does. 60 yards cross field into a running player's feet. And he'll take all the free kicks.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 19
No, I really don't like the MLS, to many bad long passes and lobs imo.

BTW Tigris UANL (Mexican team) beat LA Galaxy, 3-0 in a friendly just a few minutes ago, saw the game on Telefutura. If LA plays this bad, they are going to be ate alive by Chelsea on Saturday. Oh and Becks did not play.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 19
I follow Toronto FC, not super closely, but I watch as many games as I can.

I've had to miss a couple recently due to the Copa America and the U20 WC, but should be able to catch them regularly again.

Also, Becks doesn't play his first match until this weekend does he? He's past his prime these days, but I imagine he'll still outclass most of the players on the field.

Jul 18, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Becks doesn't play his first match until this weekend does he? He's past his prime these days, but I imagine he'll still outclass most of the players on the field.

I think he'll miss it due to a messed up ankle.

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he'll miss it due to a messed up ankle.

Oh yes, I remember reading that before. Way to start your new career "David".

Also,
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If LA plays this bad, they are going to be ate alive by Chelsea on Saturday.

LA don't know much about playing well.
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, I remember reading that before. Way to start your new career "David".

Well maybe he'll be able to help LA....whether it's getting more fans out, or being able to play sometime. Word is that he'll play on the 31st against Dallas (which LA lost to previously):

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/schedule....jsp?team=t106

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 19
"
I am shocked ! Literally fell off my seat, checked wiki and he's scored 9 goals in 11 games !!! LOL He wasn't half that good back in England."

No, there is only half the competition in the states which makes me believe that Beckham will be good here. Is Beckham playing saturday still?

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 19
When I grew up and first discovered well-organized sports in the 40s and 50s in the US, all of the sports were played in great big fancy expensive well maintained stadiums. Very orderly. Very impressive!

Soccer was played on dirt, in undeveloped countries, by a bunch of ruffians kicking a ball , and each other, all around the dusty unmanacured fields with no rhyme or reason to the play. Very uncouth! Almost disturbing. The fans often attacked each other as well!

And I've never gotten over this stigma of soccer being a sport of the third world, and the mere bringing of it into the US was admitting that "our country" could somehow degenerate into being one of them!

....Nice couch; Doctor. Naw; I don't hate my Mom.

I know; motorscooters were made to help depleted countries emerge from the war and have no place in the US where bombs hardly ever fell, but the scooters were so darn cute!

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soccer was played on dirt, in undeveloped countries, by a bunch of ruffians kicking a ball , and each other, all around the dusty unmanacured fields with no rhyme or reason to the play. Very uncouth! Almost disturbing. The fans often attacked each other as well!

Part of the reason everyone else in the world loves it!
The main reason I never got into US sports even though I tried to (loved playing basketball, if not watching it) is that there's too much emphasis on physique/equipment i.e. You have to be tall (basketball), big (American Football) and have tones of expensive equipment/uniform (they tried to get Lacrosse started in my school and not one kid could afford £100 for the basic equipment required). Anyone can play footb...,sorry soccer (fast little guys on the wing, slow big guys in defence, fat kid in goal) and all you need is a ball, no money required. That means that many of the best players in the world come from South America, Africa, Russia, you name it. This internationalism make the sport so much richer.
As for MLS the quality isn't that great, I think the long traveling times involved is detrimental to the players. Still it's a young league (relatively) and will only improve. All the US fans I've met so far have been top class with a very good attitude so I don't like this slagging off of US football.
BTW Beckham is overrated and at the end of his career, but is still one of the passers of the ball around, and his workrate/dedication to the cause can never be doubted.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 19
I try to keep up with the Revs but MLS isn't appealing enough. It's quite entertaining but tactically, the teams are rather naive. It's just all-out-attack and no strategy most of the time.

Beckham, though over-hyped, will still be a lot better than what the MLS can offer. No one can pass the ball like him, but that's about it. Can't wait for the EPL to begin.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 19
Galaxy lose to Chelsea, 1-0. Beckham played the last 13 minutes or so. Interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back