Anyone ever have a really expensive hobby on which they regret spending $?
Jan 12, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #16 of 108
Ive always made it a habit to make sure my hobby had resale value. Never made huge investments, but was able to dabble in many hobbies.

There is a fine line between obsession and passion. Ive found that resale value the middle ground.

If at the end of the day you cant sell it and make back 70%, it was a waste.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #18 of 108
I used to be an avid collector of model cars. These were the 1:18 size die-cast models, mainly from the Italian firm Bburago. I spent way too much on those!

For some reason, the one model which sticks out in my mind was the 1954 Mercedez-Benz 300 SL "Gullwing":

CL207x337_12047.jpg

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #21 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oicdn: That was a clean hatchback you had.

That was my JDM car....before the whole JDM thing blew up. I actually had the JDM front clip right before I sold it. Had the JDM tails, spoiler, gauges, even glass. Yeah, nobody back then could really tell the difference unless you had a good eye...what a waste....

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #23 of 108
I spent over $200 on coffee/equipment only to realize all decent coffee tastes the same to me.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 108
About 4 years ago when I built the computer I'm currently using, I invested in a water cooling system in an external case and all the pricey water blocks etc. After about a year it became such a hassle to take everything out and change the water and clean out the blocks that I simply took it all out and put all the air coolers back. Such a waste of time and money, I have no desire to ever go back to it.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #27 of 108
TVR ownership
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #30 of 108
Ditto comic books. I did get a lot of enjoyment reading many of them but most of them I could have done with out. I threw out/donated a ton of them because they had no resale value. I still have about 20 short boxes in my parents' attic of the stuff I want to keep and stuff I haven't read yet (and may never read).

Oh, and I can't believe the average price of a comic is now $2.99. The increasing price finally drove me to quit collecting several years ago. Comics used to be something kids would buy. Now I don't even see how adults can afford to collect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back