Anyone ever gotten their 1212 modded by Empiricalaudio.com?
Sep 20, 2004 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MagusG

1000+ Head-Fier
It's $500 and its just for the SPDIF side. I don't even own a 1212, I'm just curios as to what the results of the mod might be.
-Mag

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 30
$500?
eek.gif
Forget that. Just use the optical out.

Sep 21, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 30
Yeah, but the mod is to the coax side, which is what some consider to be ultimately superior in transparency to optical which has to go through a couple conversions.

Sep 21, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
That's Magoo's sole post... seems a bit odd.

what's odd?
confused.gif
there are a lot of people with few (or no posts) and almost all that I've encountered so far (there was one incidence that may or may not have been good... I backed out of that deal prematurely so I don't know) have been respectful Head-Fiers that I trust and would deal with again. some people prefer not to post I guess.

as for Magoo, I bought an RME HDSP9632 from him and it went smoothly, and it is not odd at all that he has a very nice setup if you know him.

Sep 21, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 30
I still say it's odd, to post once and never again. It's like painting one corner of the room and leaving the rest undone (comparing this site to a project - a job, even - may be more apposite than one might think).

Sep 21, 2004 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 30
true... he could leave me feedback for the purchase of the RME HDSP.
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Who the heck would pay someone $500 to mod their E-MU is the real question here, folks.

Perhaps because they want to and they can afford it. I dont see why not? From what I hear - the digital/optical section of the EMU1212 is its bottleneck. For someone who wants to use it and has nothing else to spend on (dedicated CD source for example) then it makes sense to spend your money on something you will be REALLY using.

I dont see anything wrong with it. $500.00 seems a bit stiff for the said upgrades but hey...some people pay that much money for a stupid interconnect
rolleyes.gif

This is not half bad
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Perhaps because they want to and they can afford it. I dont see why not? From what I hear - the digital/optical section of the EMU1212 is its bottleneck. For someone who wants to use it and has nothing else to spend on (dedicated CD source for example) then it makes sense to spend your money on something you will be REALLY using.

I dont see anything wrong with it. $500.00 seems a bit stiff for the said upgrades but hey...some people pay that much money for a stupid interconnect
rolleyes.gif

This is not half bad
tongue.gif

Did you not read Ichi's response? He extenuates the epithets of said mods. One would be much better off spending that kind of cash on a dac and a cheaper soundcard. Economy or not, it's an all-bad buy.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 30
and who the heck is Ichi? I have never heard of him...never seen him post here...no frame of reference. He could be someone crapping at the top of his voice for all I care. Need "reliable" information here.

Hey - I wouldnt mod the EMU 1212 at all - sounds good the way it is and yes I would spend my money better. But I dont think it is our duty to tell this guy how much he sucks because he made a bad decision - that too without knowing if it really is a bad decision or not.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back