Anyone ever forget the music and only think of the Equipment?
Sep 25, 2005 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
Today I just came to a realization that I am getting dangerously close to losing sight of what is really important.... the music. Its kinda hard for me because I am stuck in headphone limbo untill my HF-1's come, but still. Do you ever think that maybe if my DAC was just a little better, or my amp a little better, or my cans just a little more clear i'll be happy? I can't let myself think like this. I have to remember what the real goal here is. Just drown myself in some good tunes and get lost in the music. Without the music the equipment means nothing.

I need to go to head-fi therapy

Sep 26, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 15
Yes.

Then I listen to the music and forget all about it.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 15
I've gone beyond worrying about if one thing was better then I'd be happy, but I think everyone goes through that phase. So now it's more like, "I'll try that to see what's up." My system is already better than anything I've ever heard, so now it's more like play and less like I have a problem I need to fix or some goal to reach. I got the HF-1's because I always wanted to try Grados and it hit at the right moment. I just got a new NAD CD player because it was really cheap on the local classifieds.

It helps when you have a little bit of disposable income though. My here and there purchases might be entire part-time job paychecks for the high-school / college guys on the board
smily_headphones1.gif
I think if you find that hi-fi is starting to become a hardship or every bit of your non rent/food/transportation money is going to new gear then that's a problem. I mean I have enough credit to charge up my AMEX and buy an Sennheiser Orpheus system if I wanted to, but I realize that's moronic (but if you make $250K a year and your home is paid off, then that's your money to spend
wink.gif
). Just gotta balance it out and not get obsessive.

--Illah

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 15
Lol....

Two things:

1) I find myself in that situation all the time. Just today, I was out at a street fair where some band was jammin on stage, and I just thought to myself "Wow! The lead singer was is wearing Shure E5Cs!!" I can't tell you, for the life of me, what he sang or what he was singing about. It's truly a disease. Having said that....

2) Enjoy your new Gilmore!

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 15
Yep, I went through that phase too. Now, I've got a ton of top-notch headphone gear and I don't really have that problem anymore. There's always at least one headphone/amp combo at my disposal that will allow me to be completely immersed by whatever CD I'm in the mood for (well, there are a few really crappy recordings that are still hard to fully enjoy). Been listening to - and thoroghly enjoying - music much more often since that recent gear binge where I picked up the L3000, SDS, HF1 and W2002/HA2002 over the last 3 months. No more worries about needing a better source/amp/dac, but adding a new flavor or two is never a bad thing (mmmm...RS1). It was expensive but worth it
biggrin.gif

Edit: To clarify, I did very much enjoy music with my past setups, too, but it was more of a hit or miss ordeal. Some nights things just didn't click at all and I had to give up. These days I can consistently get an enjoyable listening session every night.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 15
Hmm, nope, never really happened to me. I find I'm happy with whatever I'm listening to, unless I happen to already own something that's better.

I don't really feel the need to upgrade, but I guess I do from time to time because I know how much prior upgrades improved my enjoyment of the music. I think the only time the gear got in the way of my music was when I got tired of the bass and comfort my Shure E5c, at least compared to my Senn HD600.

Hmm, I also remember when I only owned the HD600, getting real curious about other cans after listening to tk_suki's CD3000 and R10. But even while I wanted to get something new (my SA5k, HD650 and Qualia 010), I still thoroughly enjoyed my music with the HD600. It wasn't until much later I noticed they were gathering dust.

Kinda don't see the point if not for the music...

Best,

-Jason

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 15
This is what I try to avoid most. I had 200 bucks, and instead of getting 200 dollar headphones, I got MS-1s for 99 and then used the rest and bought a bunch of CDs.. I also think headphones should be fun if they're for listening (not producing or anything serious), since music is supposed to be fun and enjoyable.. You should enjoy the music, not worry about the color of the sound then make new power cables to fix it. o_O

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 15
I spend more time listening to the music than listening to my headphones/amp/DAC/CDP/iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Overlunge

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 15
If there is a weakness somewhere it is annoying and you will want to fix it.
If there is a strength somewhere it is fun at first but eventually it will become boring and annoying!

To really enjoy music you need synergy; no weaknesses and no strengths, nothing to stand out and grab your attention.
When you have synergy you don't hear each component separately, you hear the whole system at once, which means you listen to the music!

Sennheiser HD650 is the best choice for synergy, it works well with most equipment, that's why so many enjoy those headphones even when they are not transparent.
AKG K1000 are the worst for synergy, it will require money and hard work to make them sound good. There are only 2 choices to get synergy for K1000. 1) Tube amplifier. 2) Solid-state with a maximum investment on power conditioning.

Choice #1 is what most do and it is 10 times cheaper than #2.

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #13 of 15
Enjoying the music is the point. That's why I haven't splurged until just recently (OK, I'm now waiting to, but I may as well have spent $150 on an amp, already!), because I hadn't found anything that was really much more enjoyable to actually listen to.

A subtle touch of extra warmth and detail really doesn't matter when I'm not critical listening, you know (though, with the above, some differences do matter)? Especially when so many (SR60 and SR80 being the worst that I've worn) are physically uncomfortable for long periods. I'll take the sloppy sound for overall long-term comfort and enjoyment of the music.

It all depends on exactly what aspects make it enjoyable for you. And, of course, how much you can justify spending.

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 15
Read my sig, this is a problem we have here, people spent small fortunes in gear to listen what, maybe 2 or 3 DVD-A and 10 SACDs....that doesn't make sense to me, they have stopped completely enjoying the music, to enjoy the sound....that is this CD sound this or that way, that if this or that format is better or worst......who cares, enjoy what you have on hand, with the gear you have on hand, and period....I have 1200 CDs and about 200 music DVDs and keep on growning, that is my hobby, the music, not gear, not the sound....Sometimes too good is not good, that makes you stopping enjoying the music, and miss the whole point.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 15
right now i'm inbetween portable cans, traded away the SR60 and waiting for HF-1, so i'm using craptastic sony wraparound clips. HORRIBLE. cannot enjoy music through this crap! i only have to survive another week...this is the worst week ever. it's even worse because i come home and i refuse to listen to the HP2 thru the crappy sony receiver since Pinkie's gone too - only STAX is left for hi-fi, and i'm getting Basal Slam Withdrawal! once you get a taste of the fuzz, you crave it man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back