Anyone enjoys scenic driving?
May 5, 2006 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been to almost all the scenic drives near my place (each in a single day trip) including some of the well-known roads such as the skyline drive and the blue ridge. I have browsed a couple of magazines on national scenic drives and majority of them are actually along the west coast and in the mountainous regions from arizona up to south dakota, someday I will probably drive on those roads. So I was browsing a website on the tail of the dragon, I have heard about the road before I got my car. Unfortunately it's a 12-hour drive from where I live. Oh well, previously I thought it was something like 7 hours.

I am creating this thread for anyone here who enjoys driving on fun and scenic roads.

May 5, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 15
I would be more than happy...that is if YOU are willing to pay for my gas...
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 15
Double post...besides, I drive enough involuntarily for work and errands...it is more of a chore than a pleasure...

May 6, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 15
I love scenic drives!
I never know where they are until I see a sign.
tongue.gif

There are a few close by where I live. Although one of my favorites is a few hours away. That would be the Columbia River Gorge scenic drive. That one is just awesome. I hope I got the name correct.

May 6, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 15
Oh yeah, I love scenic drives. Just took one in January- I looped from LA up through Laughlin, along Route 66 to the Grand Canyon, down through Sedona, Phoenix, Yuma (have family there) and back to LA. Great fun.

In September or October (no firm plans yet) I'll take another vacation in the South. Plan is to fly into Memphis, visit Nashville, then drive the Natchez Trace south to Natchez. Don't know where I'll go from there, but something interesting always turns up.

I haven't covered the entire thing in one trip (yet), but I have driven the entirety of Highway 1 from Mexico to Canada. Highly recommended, especially the Oregon coast. Oregon took pains to make the coast visible along the entire highway except for one area with dunes they didn't want to disturb. That's only about 20 miles or so, and you can see the ocean on every bit of the rest of it.

Speaking of the northwest, one of my very favorite drives is the Santiam Pass, which lies between Salem and Bend. If you ever get a chance to drive it in the fall, it's mind-bendingly beautiful. And the drive has it all. You get forests, mountains, lakes, rivers, high desert, some cute small towns, just everything. It's a challenging drive, too, and if your car loves the curves, you'll have a blast.

It's funny this came up, too. I'm getting up early tomorrow for a quick weekend in Phoenix. Not hugely scenic, but I still enjoy the drive.

May 6, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 15
All the roads around here are straight and boring through fields of grass, otherwise I definitely would
frown.gif
I guess sometimes I go along the road that follows the river, it's pretty nice.

May 6, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Scenic drives along the California coast, yes.

Drives inland in rush hour traffic, no.

My favorite local scenic drive is along the coast of Palos Verdes to and from Redondo Beach.

-Ed

so what did you end up buying? the fit or civic?

May 6, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 15
I use to love scenic drives.That was before I had to sell my cars stereo to get money for gas.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 15
Drive from Woodbridge, VA up to Luray Caverns, in a Model A Ford...

Skyline drive in a 1966 Lotus Elan, top down...

Ridgerunning just North of Ontario CA, all the way to Northridge, starting at 0600 on a June morning, on a hot motorcycle, the exhaust notes echoing ...

Doing 130-150 going north on 395 through the desert out of Cajon Pass, in a Mustang SVO, with Dire Straits playing, desert flowers in full bloom, big swatches of color on the pastel hills and arrroyos....

Coastal route north out of Lincoln City Oregon, stopping at the Otis Cafe for gut-buster breakfast, with black Molasses bread and marmalade and butter running off....

Exploring the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at sunrise....

North from Washington D.C. through Marlboro, Trenton, Redding, Langhorne,
French Creek, Hershey, on up to Steuben Glassworks, Corning, and Watkins Glen in the second week of October, when the trees are turning colors, and the Concord grapes are ripe, the Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish County fairs are in full swing, eating Schoo-fly Pie, and summer sausage....

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison!!!!

Mesa Verdes indian dwellings!!

Wolf Creek Pass, crossing the Continental Divide, stopping at a pipe sticking out of the side of the hill, Preist Spring, to drink coldest purest water ever....

Telluride Colo saloons!!! the hard way - take a jeep up and over the mountain

there are so many more to explore...I gotta get the car ready...

May 6, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 15
I drive the shortest possible distances, scenic or not. But I always take the sceic route on my bike! (which gets 45+mpg, so it doesn't hurt as much).

May 6, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Scenic drives generally can't happen in central Florida, unless you include all of the billboards for tourist attractions. The only exception are along the coast, and almost all of that has been developed.

I love driving through the mountains in California! Been all around LA and San Francisco / Oakland. I'm glad rental cars don't have a milage limit on local rentals! I've put several hundred extra miles on in just a fews days with excursions.

Went to New York in January and spent the weekend in the mountains. First time to see ski resorts. What beauty!

May 6, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 15
I love scenic drives as well. In a couple of weeks my wife and I are planning a road trip through central Oregon, down through Nevada and Northern AZ, to Phoenix. I'm really looking forward to it!

I used to love Skyline drive when I laved back East in DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back