Anyone enjoy the occasional 'traffic light grand prix'?
Jul 4, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #32 of 46
Because of the car or the 1 ton weight difference?

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #33 of 46
I don't normally do it, but when I'm driving my wife's car (ALONE) she has a
Q45 which is a pretty fast and nimble car for it's size, I'm tempted at times! Just a couple of days ago, some punk in a Ford truck challenged me... Before the light turned green he turned on his BOOM BOOM system in his truck, I guess that was the initial warning (?)... and as we started to pull off I heard his engine rev and naturally (thanks to testosterone and the fact that it IS summer), I mashed the pedal!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
LOL! Unfortunately I had to discontinue the ***** kickin, since I needed to get to the gas station!!
frown.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reality check - if you are american, and really that concerned about death and suffering, with 500,000 tragic AVOIDABLE deaths per year from nicotine and another 500,000 from OBESITY (thats 2700 deaths per day and climbing - CDC) ...spare a thought for them as well as your one off memory. similar stats down here too by the way.

So what, because lots of people die we should kill more?

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clearly we are speaking about two very different things! omg, is ther no one around here who knows what i am referring to? no speeding required! no formula one cars required. no literal interpretations required? what? but?...

HELP ME LOL - i am being devoured alive by nerds!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Ok; I'll try to help! Cause I've been there!

The car that I had that I had the "most fun" with was my '59 Austin Healey 100-6. It had a zero-60 time of about 13 seconds. It sat so low to the ground that you "couldn't get a pack of cigarettes under it sitting sideways"! The exhaust came out just below the drivers' ears! When you hit 45mph it felt like you were going like stink! You could have a great time zapping through the gears and never get over the speed limit! Compared to back then, todays' cars are no fun at all! Way too fast and way too quiet, and way too stable!

Way too civilized!

My '69 Mach 1 was quite quick back then, but today it's just average. My '55 Pontiac that I took out on Woodward wasn't much quicker than my Austin Healey! But racing up to the speed limit or just a little beyond was lots of fun since in reality, on Woodward Ave. in the 50s or early 60s, it was almost condoned by the Police of the day, and well understood by most folks who drove that famous roadway that passed through the communities populated by many of the top Auto Executives of the day.

If there were accidents, they were rare. And I rarely saw one after rush hour, and my normal Friday and Saturday nights in the summer were spent cruising up and down Woodward from the The Pole to Teds and back.

It was a whole 'nother day and a whole 'nother culture! And a whole lot of fun in those days of twenty cent a gallon gasoline!

But even today I tend to waste a bit of gas when the traffic permits.
blink.gif

....if my Wife ain't watching!
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That bear has a plant growing on it. Dingo, weep with jealousy as plant-bear mauls you.

But the Dingo clearly has the high ground.

I say it's not over yet...

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That bear has a plant growing on it. Dingo, weep with jealousy as plant-bear mauls you.

Where did plant-bear go!!! Plant-bear was cool, Bundee1.

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #41 of 46
Regardless of the posters age, give him a break. Who cares how fast you take off from a traffic light, does that effect anyone in anyway by getting to the speed limit quickly? Much rather be behind this guy then behind someone who takes 2 miles until we actually reach the speed limit.

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #42 of 46
You could easily get a traffic ticket from accelerating away from the lights as fast as you can. In high school a friend of mine got a $250 ticket for doing just that, and he deserved it. It's dangerous for several reasons. First of all when you're tires are squealing you're not getting good traction and your car will be more prone to sliding sideways. Second, it assumes that pedestrians are never idiots and never try to run across the road just as the lights are changing to allow traffic to go. You can't always see pedestrians, and by accelerating as hard as you can you're ensuring that you're at the maximum possible speed to hit, and possibly kill the pedestrian. Sure, maybe it's their fault for being a moron and running against the lights- but if you had been driving like a sane person, they might be alive. Is having 5 seconds of fun worth potentially hurting someone? Third, it compromises your own safety. When I was 17 I was at a red light at an intersection, and I was waiting right at the line for the light to change. When the light changed I accelerated into the intersection at a sane speed when a car that was running the lights the other direction smashed at 85km/h into me - instantly writing off both cars. Had I been driving like a moron and accelerating as quickly as I could, they would've driven directly into me instead of into the engine compartment.

So, there is absolutely no benefit to accelerating as hard as one can, and yet there are numerous possible drawbacks. Care to explain why it's a reasonable behaviour?

And it also uses a lot more gas to acelerate that way than it does to accelerate at a sane rate.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #43 of 46
ILLEGAL RACING STATS
spacer.gif
Consider the following stats, compiled from a variety of national and state transportation agencies, and it's easy to see the answer is to take it to the track.

In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes. The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000.
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, more than 800 citations for illegal street racing were issued in 2001.
In San Diego, where the street racing problem has been termed "epidemic," 16 deaths and 31 injuries were directly related to illegal street racing in 2001. The city's attorney's office prosecuted 147 illegal street racing cases in 1999, 161 in 2000, and 290 in 2001.
In Florida in 2001, 7,216 citations were issued for racing on the highway.
In 1999, the Florida Department of Highway and Safety for Motor Vehicles reported 28 accidents related to illegal street racing, with 2 fatalities and 27 injuries. In 2000, the agency reported 39 racing accidents, with 1 fatality and 55 injuries. In 2002, there were 48 racing accidents, 1 fatality, and 60 injuries.
According to the NHTSA, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 16 and 20.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says 5,749 teens died in the United States from motor vehicle crash injuries in 1999.
Nationwide statistics show that 49 people are injured for every 1,000 who participate in illegal street racing.
spacer.gif
As a result, city and state ordinances have been issued regarding illegal street racing. Though laws vary, here are some penalties faced by street racers:
You can be arrested and have your car impounded for 30 days.
If convicted of street racing or aiding and abetting a street race, you can be imprisoned for up to three months and fined up to $1,000. Spectators are subject to penalties as well.
Your driver's license can be revoked.
Your car insurance may be cancelled or the rates dramatically increased.
Cars in and around illegal street races are often issued equipment violations.

The police won't wait until you accelerate to the speed limit several dangerous blocks down the line to see if you surpass it. If you shoot out of a light like a bat out of hell, that's a "drag race" in their book and you're dead in the water.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had I been driving like a moron and accelerating as quickly as I could, they would've driven directly into me instead of into the engine compartment.

Ah, but if you'd been going across the intersection faster, they would have missed you entirely!
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #45 of 46
Actually, here in calif, that 'squirt' from the traffic light is called 'Exhibition of Speed' and quite elgible for a moving violation.

Edit: yes, even if you don't break your tires loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back