Anyone Else's Shure SE535 Literally Crumbling Away?
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DeeKay10

100+ Head-Fier
I own these for about two and a half years, and about two months back I noticed this on both pieces (click the bottom one - most informative pic):

Now, the sound quality is as great as it has always been, but looks like the shell isn't going to hold forever... I couldn't Google anything like this so figured I'd post it on head-fi since there's plenty of people who own a pair here and likely to comment.
It's only my second pair of Shures, first being the SE210s, but both don't seem to survive much beyond 2 years of regular use (the SE210's cable torn apart). It just happens that Shure's warranty covers those 2 years, and by now it seems a not-so-remarkable coincidence...

Anyhow, would appreciate if any owners could give it a check as well and tell me whether I'm just too abusive, or it's a full scale screw-up in Shure's side.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 6
My SE425's are about 18 months old.   Used daily.  Casing is fine.  The audio cuts out a bit on the right year and requires an unplug/re-plug once in a while.  Definitely not seeing what you got there.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 6
I quite literally searched many audio forums, because my wife's pair of SE215s are experiencing exactly what you're describing here. I contacted Shure, and they said they have barely ever heard of this problem occur. However, they described this possibly happening only in presence of moisture and heat, as well as torsional force and bending of the nozzles. They were willing to replace my IEMs, however, given I purchased them in 2010, I'd have to pay out of pocket for it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 6
I live in Israel so yeah, it's pretty hot and moist in here, which could be a reason.
Mind, my SE535s are still one piece, 4 years after starting this thread.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 6
  I live in Israel so yeah, it's pretty hot and moist in here, which could be a reason.
Mind, my SE535s are still one piece, 4 years after starting this thread.

Anyway, they are just microfractures in the plastic, and we all know Shure builds things to last a long time, I'm glad you still have yours :)

SE535's are the best universal IEMs around no matter what anybody says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back