Anyone Else Use Allmusic.com
Oct 15, 2006 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Co-worker introduced me to this site about a year ago, and it is now an utterly invaluable resource.

www.allmusic.com

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I couldn't live without it anymore.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 17
First place I go to check out reviews. Best I've found for completeness. You can almost be guaranteed you will find a review of what you're looking for. Almost but not 100%.

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 17
I've been going to that site for years. It certainly is the online "encyclopedia" of music. I collect greatest hits albums and I use that site to pick through often times numerous choices from a given artist.

An analogous site for movie buffs is www.imdb.com

Oct 15, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

An analogous site for movie buffs is www.imdb.com

Well did you know that there is an allmovie.com, made by the same group as allmusic?

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 17
I use it all the time too but they really need to improve their band members lists. Some bands like Queens of the Stone Age dont list members that have been with them for like 2 years. It would also be cool if they could put a special notation for members that are currently with a band. Or also to make it more clear which artists contributed to an album. So when you click an album it showed you the band lineup when they recorded it.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 17
I like allmusic.com...been one of my main sites for quite awhile.

If you're into mainstream music, you'll find everything you need. They do miss a fair portion of the underground metal reviews.

I find the reviews good for mainstream music, although I think they're hit and miss with the metal on that front also.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Their reviews are a bit uneven (straight fives for Led Zeppelin). They're also not very brave. It can be very useful, though.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 17
Best site on the internet. I trust them almost 100% with reviews, they are truly academic and critical. They take into account not only the strength of the record, but also its influence on music history, thus the straight 5's for Led Zeppelin. When I am starting to get into any band, I always check allmusic first. An invaluable online resource for music lovers.

Recently I've found it's also a great source for critical classical reviews.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 17
i'd actually never been to this site before. thanks guys
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
First place I go to check out reviews. Best I've found for completeness. You can almost be guaranteed you will find a review of what you're looking for. Almost but not 100%.

I whole heartedly agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back