Anyone else tends to hesistate to try new music?
Sep 14, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why? stock code?

QQQQ as in 4Q as in "four queue" as in "four queue and everybody who looks like you!"

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 27
Thank you guys for your opinions!
Thanks Wmcmanus for moving the thread and 4Q thing
smily_headphones1.gif
That's nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new music? there's no new music. only new artists/musicans. music has been about the same for the past 10, 20 years.

Thank you very much for enlightening!

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, I listen to a lot of new stuff, though I also enjoy going back over my old favourites.

X2

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #20 of 27
I find that playing new music while involved in an activity like a chore over speakers and around the house helps me become more familiar with that piece of music which then inspires me to dedicate more time to reflect on it in the future.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

I find that playing new music while involved in an activity like a chore over speakers and around the house helps me become more familiar with that piece of music which then inspires me to dedicate more time to reflect on it in the future.

Yeah, i like to do similar: when i too scared to listen new music on myself, i browsing through head-fi for courage while listening to new tunes...

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoginasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True, I fairly regularly break records in like this also!
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #23 of 27
Hmm, well i would not say i that i do not like new music, and generally, whenever i get a new album, I would have been waiting for it for a few days, so I immediately listen to it.

But yes, some music I just ignore when i am looking through my library. Its not because i dont like it, it is because i am craving for something different.

Listening to something you do not want to is a chore. In fact, there is only one or two albums i will never listen to (but refuse to delete).

Otherwise, when i have nothing in mind, I click on one of the albums i havent heard in a long while. Its always nice to do that, especially when you forgot just how damn good it is.

Doing so right now.

Loving it.

G-man

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #24 of 27
Go to the library to borrow CDs. I find that I'm much more willing to experiment with new artists and styles when I'm not paying by the pound just to hear them. If you're especially resistant to new music, then give yourself a quota (5 out of 10 CDs have to be from outside your usual genres).

It can be a little frustrating to find that many discs are scratched, but if you give yourself plenty of time and look around in all the bins, you'll probably end up wanting to take more albums than you're allowed.

Sure you'll end up borrowing plenty of stuff you don't like, but what've you lost? Also, give music more than one chance. Often I don't like something the first time I hear it, but it might just not be right for my mood at the moment.

And I suppose a few reminders can't hurt:
1) Take great care with library CDs. If you've ever browsed through the bins at a public library, you know what I mean. Some people must use these discs to play frisbee with their dog.
2) Buy albums that you really like. Especially if they're not by huge/famous groups. Don't just "burn & return" (hey, that should be a bumper sticker or something...)
3) Drop a couple of bucks into the donation box every once in a while, to pay for new materials (and to replace damaged ones). Or do what I do and pay through the nose for late fees! My library uses these fees for materials also. Seriously, I should have a wing named after me at this point.

For myself, I second what someone said earlier -- I go in cycles. At some times I just don't listen to much music at all, then I'll go through a phase for enjoying a certain genre, artist or composer, then on to something else. Phases can last from a couple of days to several months. I consider myself to have extremely diverse taste in music, but I don't usually plumb the extremes simultaneously.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 27
im really bad, i tend to get stuck in genres, and cycle between 2 or 3 of them, my sig,

worst is nightwish, i can listen over and over and over! as time goes on i like different songs best across the albums, im kinda freaked out at how i can listen to it so much without getting bored, never had it this bad before! i listen to them about 50% of the time, TT albums, its gotta be unhealthy!!

without last fm and p2p sites i never would have found them! and indeed this whole symphonic genre!

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 27
If I'm sitting down with the express mood of listening for enjoyment, I always reach for something familiar and loved. I want to enjoy, so I pick something I know I'll enjoy.

If I'm just putting something on to fill the silence, that's a good time to put something new on. Especially if I'm half distracted on something else. That way I'll let my mind become comfortable with the new, and occasionally get sucked in by a passage or melody that sounds good. And then if I sit and listen to it in isolation, I've got a good idea of how much I'll enjoy it already.

New stuff by a familiar band tends to go straight in for 'proper' listening though, but I'm finding it's pretty hit and miss with a lot of my favourite bands nowadays
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #27 of 27
I force myself to listen to new music and new styles so that I can find new albums that are comfortable to listen to. It sucks to listen to a bad album but you'll have to go through a few of those before you find something that becomes a classic for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back