Anyone else having this problem with the Sennheiser hd 598's?
Jul 12, 2012 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chives

New Head-Fier
I bought these headphones last August and I think that they are amazing but I am starting to get some cracking in the leather padding on the top of the headphone. Here's a pic...btw I have not been putting these headphones through any abuse, just happened on its own I guess.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 8
If they remain dry they are going to crack.  I use some hand lotion or you could use leather lotion once a month to keep the leather moist.  They are going to age and there is nothing we can do about it but take care of the leather as much as possible.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 8
That can't be leather...
right-o. this feels very familiar..

"leatherette headband and velour ear pads provide outstanding wearing comfort, even for long listening sessions." -- Sennheiser

you still need to take care of the leatherette though. there's a lot of products for cars and such, but I think what will really help is to just get a water spritzer or some water on a towel or something and wipe it down gently every so often to get your natural hair oil off.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Maybe Saddle soap would help?

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 8
The 598s were known for cracking, but Sennheiser addressed the problem...I don't know how long ago now, but it's possible a pair from last August was before Senn addressed the problem. Contact them and they will probably replace it for you.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I have seen someone else start a thread on this I believe. No, you are not the only one...of that I am sure. It's usually in the same spot as well. It hasn't happened to mine yet thank god.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back