anyone else hate earbuds after using IEMs?
Feb 27, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 30
I also hated earbuds until i bought some Yuin PK1's. It truly is hard to believe that what you are hearing is coming from earbuds. I use them when it is not practical to use my ER4p's, when i need to hear what is going on around me.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 30
Earbuds available commercially are generally crappy, so after migrating to IEMs and custom sleeves I pretty much couldn't stand earbuds anymore whether in terms of sound quality or comfort. The only exceptions I can think of is the Yuins (all 3 sound fantastic).
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sometimes feel just the opposite: the lack of any soundstage in IEMs make me want to go back to earbuds.

maybe its just me, but I love closing my eyes and imagining an entire band right in my head and being able to pick up on each and every different instrument with my etys, which IMO is better than having a huge soundstage... you dont get that kind of SQ with iBuds, and I haven't heard Yuins so I can't comment there

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 30
I agree on ear buds as lousy portable phones in general, as most I have tried seem bigger (and painful) compared to the Yuin shape. Sound-wise, the Yuins outperform many IEMs/canalphones, and all three versions really scale up with the right amp. I use PK3s for a couple of things. Walking on busy city streets, where I need to hear horns, etc., and in the poker room at the Borgata, where I need to hear the sounds of the game. Otherwise, I'm strictly IEMs or the Grados. The OP said ear buds, so I tossed out the Yuins as a counter to that generalization - which, for the most part, is accurate, in my view.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe its just me, but I love closing my eyes and imagining an entire band right in my head and being able to pick up on each and every different instrument with my etys, which IMO is better than having a huge soundstage... you dont get that kind of SQ with iBuds, and I haven't heard Yuins so I can't comment there

You are the perfect candidate for a pair of Yuins then. Pick up a pair of PK2s or even PK3s, since the PK1s are pretty expensive. Or ask Fang at Head-Direct about a tryout pair.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 30
Yeh I agree it's alot about how they fit. I could see earbuds being uncomfortable if they didn't fit right as I could see the same with IEM's. The only IEM's that I have really tired where a cheap pair of my friends and they did not fit in my ears very good at all. I'd like to try a nice pair someday but for now the pk1's are great.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just save up for a pair of Sleek SA6s. Wow is all I can say. Made me sell off all my other IEMs (except the Atrios, for sentimental reasons). But that's off topic.

I'm not a big iem fan, but I must say that the SA6's have definately caught my eye.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #27 of 30
No. I still like my old Philip's 5910's for work. I can't be isolated there. My darn boss accuses me of being antisocial even when I wear those. He doesn't listen to music at all. A talk radio and tv only kinda guy.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #28 of 30
I have never really used the ipod buds, but I use some inexpensive Sony buds with my laptop for gaming and voice calls. I don't find them uncomfortable at all!

Although for any serious listening I use my E500's.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 30
I have yet to hear an IEM under $500 that can keep pace with a properly amped PK1 amped well and fed with a good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back