anyone else hate earbuds after using IEMs?
Feb 26, 2008 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using my new etymotic er6is [which I LOVE btw] for almost a month now, and just today my friend wanted to show me a song he really liked, he generally has good taste in music, but poor choice in headphones so I decided to go for it, but I didn't have my etys on me so I had to use his iBuds

and WOW.

first of all, they hurt like a b*tch putting them in my ears, I wasn't used to such big, hard plastic in my ear and they were a real pain. then they barely stayed in my ears and felt much heavier than my etys. The sound was terrible too and I couldn't even make it to through 1/3 of the song because it was so uncomfortable and distorted

I went back, grabbed my etys, plugged them in and BLISS
biggrin.gif

anyone else refuse to use earbuds after using a good pair of IEMs? or am I just the crazy minority?

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't stand using buds after using IEM's! Plus the more I use foamies on IEMs, the more I hate silicon tips! LOL

I know that feeling but, once I started to use custom tips I started to hate foamies.(Ironicly I use foam earplugs every night when I sleep.)

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that feeling but, once I started to use custom tips I started to hate foamies.(Ironicly I use foam earplugs every night when I sleep.)

LOL Yeah, that would be my next step! Ever since I started making my own foamies, I just can't use silicon tips. My DIY foamies are as comfy as comply tips, at 20% of the cost!!!

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 30
If they hurt, you were probably using the same force you use to get iems inside your ear canals.

Interesting aside: iBuds are both machine washable -and- machine dryable (tumble dry medium).

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they hurt, you were probably using the same force you use to get iems inside your ear canals.

Interesting aside: iBuds are both machine washable -and- machine dryable (tumble dry medium).

yeah actually, that was it, I was sitting there trying to get them in until I realized they wouldn't go... they still hurt and were super uncomfortable in their normal positions

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah actually, that was it, I was sitting there trying to get them in until I realized they wouldn't go... they still hurt and were super uncomfortable in their normal positions

I had some of those Sony behind-the-ear collapsible headphones that went through the wash/dryer, and still worked for a few days afterwards before the drivers died... they weren't great-sounding, but damn they were durable.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fully agree. Cant stand earbuds, no idea why anyone would use them.

Guess you've never tried the Yuin PK series. Ear buds that put many, many canalphones and IEMS to shame.

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 30
From the first time I wore Sony canal phones (no great audio delivery system, admittedly, but they stayed in my ear when I turned my head ... or walked ... or looked up ... etc.), I knew I had had enough of earbuds.

I'm pleased that Yuin makes good-sounding earbuds ... but they're earbuds, so from a comfort/fit/isolation standpoint, I'm not going to be buying them. Others' mileage may vary.

The Yuins have gotten very impressive reviews from Head-Fi members whose opinions I value, and I'm sure they make for a highly portable audio option of much higher quality than the average pack-in earbud and low-cost canal phones. But since I have various canal phones, IEMs, and headphones for various listening situations, that's one type of earphone/headphone I don't need. For those who find that earbuds stay put in their ears, more power to them. But as much as some people say they don't like the idea of anything going in their ears, it makes me squirm to think about something barely hanging in the outer part of my ear and shifting with every slight move of my head. (Has anyone come up with foam or silicone "adaptors" that would more firmly "seat" earbuds in the ear? For example, when fit or isolation is desired, insert something like a custom molding in the ear and then attach the Yuin or other earbud to it ... sort of a "convertible" function.)

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you've never tried the Yuin PK series. Ear buds that put many, many canalphones and IEMS to shame.

...or E888s. In the right environments, they are easily the SQ equal of my Etys or UM2s. Unfortunately, the right environments are absolute quiet and/or total isolation.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeh I have to say with some radio shack foams or even the regular yuin foams the yuins blend right into your ears. I don't even feel them. I will agree though that the iBuds aren't the most comfortable, I think mainly though is because there all plastic and no cushioning for your ears. So I'd say yes to ibuds but that's about it. If earbuds fit your ears well I would think they would beat an IEM's comfortability level any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back