Anyone else feel that vocals on the IE8's are veiled?
Mar 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #31 of 43
You've had your IE8 for a week - its way way way too early to pass a judgement. My CX6 took 600 hrs to settle in finally .....I'd say - judge again after you've burned-in your IE8 for 500 - 800 hrs at the least.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #33 of 43
Psychological changes notwithstanding, burn-in phenomenon is a common technique in hardware engineering circles, you'd know that if you dealt with engines or high performance motors etc - basicall any electromechanical/mechanical dynamic system

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodigy_techus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psychological changes notwithstanding, burn-in phenomenon is a common technique in hardware engineering circles, you'd know that if you dealt with engines or high performance motors etc - basicall any electromechanical/mechanical dynamic system

It is not the first time someone told me about dynamic system, it is just not possible. Probably it might change, but the order of magnitude is not significant.
Component are too small to support such intrinsec modifications (basic).
Look at the size of the IEM, and the the driver.
What science man could objectively say that an electric impulsion during and undetermined hours number will modify its behavior ?

And especially, for what you describe, size DOES matter.

IMHO, it's just a geek myth based on some aeronautic ingenering process misunderstanding.

I can't even understand why a company like sennheiser would sold "unfinished" (if we apply here the principles of dynamic system and the real use of burn in) as top notch IEM. It's a complete non sense.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodigy_techus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've had your IE8 for a week - its way way way too early to pass a judgement. My CX6 took 600 hrs to settle in finally .....I'd say - judge again after you've burned-in your IE8 for 500 - 800 hrs at the least.

Complete codswallop!

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #36 of 43
Give them more time but 500-800 is a bit excessive a number IMO. My pair took about 50hrs to open up and start to sound right. I suggest plugging them in at night and letting them play music at slightly louder than normal volume, do this for about a week and see what happens.

Don't trust my opinion about burnin (I know it's real) or the those who insist it's a myth (they know it's not real), trust your ears and follow my suggestion for a week. If us burnin believer's are wrong nothing will change and if we are right you will notice a change in your IE8, in either case it doesn't cost you anything to give it a try.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #37 of 43
That's not about believing or not.
50 hours is the average time needed to "educate" a ear.

That's why the "first" impression has to be considered carefully : you cannot judge an IE8 if you are a Q-jay user, listening music 10 hours a day on MP3 256, and expect to understand and acknowledge the difference with IE8 using flac. You will for sure notice a difference, but the more you'll use it the more you will get used to it.

It is all about hear education, some are fast learner, some are not. It is called respectively harmonic ear and relative ear.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #38 of 43
I tried the ie8 with fuze,zune,touch,psp and low end Sony players and I liked the touch 2g the best.I really hate the fuze(my dad have it) it's sq is good but it's bass sound boomy and artificial to me and the highs lacking a bit,not to mention the terrible slow interface.

I wonder when will sennheiser release the new flagship,it's been almost 2 years since ie8.

Edit:I'll say it again,the ie8 is DEFINETLY veiled and warm in comparison to anything I own.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the ie8 with fuze,zune,touch,psp and low end Sony players and I liked the touch 2g the best.I really hate the fuze(my dad have it) it's sq is good but it's bass sound boomy and artificial to me and the highs lacking a bit,not to mention the terrible slow interface.

I wonder when will sennheiser release the new flagship,it's been almost 2 years since ie8.

LOL midoo;

I just bought a Fuze (2nd gen) and I love it with my IE8 as is has done the opposite in my mind of what you just described. My Ipod Touch (2G) was very boomy with the IE8 whereas the Fuze has opened up the mids and treble and toned down the bass quite a bit, I also find the sound stage is quite a bit larger and the instrument seperation is better. Go figure... Maybe the difference between the original fuze and the new 2nd gen is different.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #40 of 43
Interesting,what do you mean by the original fuze?is there two versions or what?I actually prefered the touch because of the wider soundstage and more airier clearer presentation and punchy accurate bass....Go figure
biggrin.gif

And I actually hated the really really cheap fragile pixilated screen,very low battery life,sluggish user interface,the time needed to read micro sd...overall it is perfect at it's price range but it can't really compete with zune or apple IMHO.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #41 of 43
there are 2 versions of the fuze with the first one having the capability to be rockboxed.

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 43
I agree with you 100% about the Ipod being much more friendly and cool. I also think it works great with most IEM's but for some reason this new version (2) of the Fuze has great synergy with my IE8. It would be very cool to try a comparison between version 1 and 2. If anyone has experience with both please chime in. I was a bit disappointed that I can't rockbox the V2 model because of the hardware changes but will wait patiently for a new version of rockbox. BTW I was able to deck out my Fuze for about $100 with with 16GB of memory as compared to $300 for my 16GB Ipod Touch for 2 Christmas's ago. So they definitely have the right price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back