Anyone else feel that vocals on the IE8's are veiled?
Mar 18, 2010 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Poetik

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got these a week ago and was just wondering if anyone felt the same way? I like the bass response these give but it just sounds a quite bit too "veiled". Man I wish I could just find an IEM that will give me the mids/highs of the RE0 with more bass impact. Lol it almost seems like the only option to acquire that is to buy a JH13/16
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 43
I can't comment on the RE0 but owning the IE8 and for a breaf week the MOnster Turbine Pro Gold, I would say they definitely have a more forward midrange without being to in your face as compared to the more laid back IE8, they also had as nice or nicer treble as well and the bass was definitely there when required. The only area the IE8 was definitely ahead was sound stage. I ended up returning the MTP Gold but that was more because I could (and decided I couldn't afford or jusify a second high end IEM) as compared to having owned the IE8 for a couple months and find myself unwilling to take a huge loss on them by reselling them.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 43
CK10 perhaps? People say they are a more musical RE0, with more bass. I have a pair of CK10, at first I thought the bass is seriously lacking in quantity, but after about a month listening to them, I find them to be rather neutral, and have great details, good imaging. Clarity is definitely better than my IE8.

I say give your IE8 some 200 hours of burn in, if you believe in burn in. The 'veil' of midrange/vocal will become less with burning in.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I wish I could just find an IEM that will give me the mids/highs of the RE0 with more bass impact. Lol it almost seems like the only option to acquire that is to buy a JH13/16
frown.gif

IMO the HJE900 are like RE0s with a subwoofer. But before you go for a new IEM, you could also try to EQ down the IE8's mid-bass hump. A lot of mids detail gets blanketed by too much mid-bass out of the box. I like my IE8 much better with -8db@100Hz. Speaking of which, the Senns have overall much more laid-back and "polite" sound signature than the RE0, so if you want more agressive highs plus great bass impact, the HJE900 might be the ticket.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 43
I agree with EQing down the midbass, it makes them much nicer for a lot of music. In fact I returned my MTP Gold and part of reasoning was that I could EQ the IE8 and get a similar sound.

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 43
To answer your question,the ie8 vocals are definetly veiled.No doubt about it.it have rat sennheiser sound presented in hd650 but the ie8 is more veiled than it.it is thick and have body just the way I like it.it is quite unique in it's mids.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the HJE900 are like RE0s with a subwoofer. But before you go for a new IEM, you could also try to EQ down the IE8's mid-bass hump. A lot of mids detail gets blanketed by too much mid-bass out of the box. I like my IE8 much better with -8db@100Hz. Speaking of which, the Senns have overall much more laid-back and "polite" sound signature than the RE0, so if you want more agressive highs plus great bass impact, the HJE900 might be the ticket.

Yes, the IE8 is more laid back and polite aka colored. RE0 is more neutral and true to the original recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question,the ie8 vocals are definetly veiled.No doubt about it.it have rat sennheiser sound presented in hd650 but the ie8 is more veiled than it.it is thick and have body just the way I like it.it is quite unique in it's mids.

I disagree. IE8 has excellent vocals IMO - not veiled at all. It's the bass and also the treble that's not so great on the IE8, especially the bass which overshadows the low mids.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 43
Well I didn't say it is not excellent,IMHO it is superb BUT it is veiled with thick tone to it,again no doubt about it.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 43
if u want a good alternative to the IE8 that doesnt veil the mids and highs as much get the MTP golds or Coppers....golds sound a big more warm with amazing bass and the coppers have a better soundstage with better mids and highs with a little less bass then the golds have

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. IE8 has excellent vocals IMO - not veiled at all. It's the bass and also the treble that's not so great on the IE8, especially the bass which overshadows the low mids.

x2. I won't say the vocal of IE8 is the best, but I don't understand why people keep saying IE8's vocal to be veiled. Perhaps we hear things differently, or my ears have adapted to them.

I used my IE8 with the max bass setting for a whole 6 months, and changed to the minimun for the first time recently. I must admit that on the max bass setting, bass really intrudes in midrange, but now, after changing it to the mininum, mid-bass hump doesn't bother me anymore. By the way, CK10 is my current benchmark for detail and clarity, and in my opinion IE8 although don't better CK10 in these aspects, they do a very good job.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. I won't say the vocal of IE8 is the best, but I don't understand why people keep saying IE8's vocal to be veiled. Perhaps we hear things differently, or my ears have adapted to them.

I used my IE8 with the max bass setting for a whole 6 months, and changed to the minimun for the first time recently. I must admit that on the max bass setting, bass really intrudes in midrange, but now, after changing it to the mininum, mid-bass hump doesn't bother me anymore. By the way, CK10 is my current benchmark for detail and clarity, and in my opinion IE8 although don't better CK10 in these aspects, they do a very good job.

Really? I thought they were veiled right from the start (and I have a pair that's been burned in for more than 100 hours). Not only that but they have this sort of hollow sound to the bass. Everyone has their own set of ears though so to each their own.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 43
@Poetik, my IE8 reach around 600 hours of burn in. And I believe in burn in
regular_smile .gif

The day when I received my CK10, I thought that they would blow away my IE8 in terms of clarity. But surprisingly they didn't. IE8 are some steps behind of CK10 in clarity, but vocal is thicker and full, and the two of them has totally different sound signature. It seems that a 'warm' phones will suffer from lacking clarity and having less detail, but IE8 never fail me in these, though CK10 is still the king in clarity and detail within my collection (IE8, CK10, TF10). In my opinion
smile_phones.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #13 of 43
The IE8 doesn't have the final say when it comes to clarity but I'd never describe their mids as veiled even compared to the top IEMs that have been revered for clarity. They do however have very warm mids. I also won't neglect the sources used though. The mids of the IE8 through the sony X is a good bit much clearer than on both my S738 and touch 2G.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 43
Yes, contrary to what I've read, I find that IE8 are quite source dependant. On my Cowon D2+, they are just right, IMO, because the Cowon is quite cold sounding. On my friend's Sony S645, they sound too warm, imo. The difference is noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back