Anyone Else Experiencing OTW Addiction?
Apr 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. My name is HD Dude, and I have On The Way addiction.

I love obsessively researching headphones, amps, cables, cases, adapters... all of it...then ordering something...and waiting for it to arrive.

Lights me up! Makes me feel alive! King of the world!

But...

When I have nothing OTW...it's like I go through withdrawl. Anxiety sets in, as does lethargy, apathy and the doldrums. I get nervous and jumpy. Life losses its colors.

Am I...alone?

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. My name is HD Dude, and I have On The Way addiction.

I love obsessively researching headphones, amps, cables, cases, adapters... all of it...then ordering something...and waiting for it to arrive.

Lights me up! Makes me feel alive! King of the world!

But...

When I have nothing OTW...it's like I go through withdrawl. Anxiety sets in, as does lethargy, apathy and the doldrums. I get nervous and jumpy. Life losses its colors.

Am I...alone?

It is an addiction , the process of shopping for gear gives you a dopamine rush. Addictions are usually quite healthy, they only become a problem when the addiction becomes maladaptive , ie: buying gear effects other parts of your life negatively spending money you don't have etc.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 7
You are not at all alone, this week has been bad news.

Just remember to actually listen to what you buy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Take up DIY. You can get the same rush waiting for $6 of resistors to ship as well as picking through eBay and other sites to find a deal on the right ones. You'll get the same experience at a much lower cost. There's also ample opportunity to scour flea markets, hamfests, junk stores, and so on, hunting 1940s indicator lamps, tubes, and other glorious goodies. In my opinion, the thrill of the hunt is greater since you never quite know what is going to turn up. Sometimes you'll find absolute bargains, sometimes you'll find the perfect case you never knew existed and sometimes you can make money reselling a rare find.

Further, the reading and research are deeper and more interesting than poring over sales lit and opinions. You get to understand how this stuff really works.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take up DIY. You can get the same rush waiting for $6 of resistors to ship as well as picking through eBay and other sites to find a deal on the right ones. You'll get the same experience at a much lower cost. There's also ample opportunity to scour flea markets, hamfests, junk stores, and so on, hunting 1940s indicator lamps, tubes, and other glorious goodies. In my opinion, the thrill of the hunt is greater since you never quite know what is going to turn up. Sometimes you'll find absolute bargains, sometimes you'll find the perfect case you never knew existed and sometimes you can make money reselling a rare find.

Further, the reading and research are deeper and more interesting than poring over sales lit and opinions. You get to understand how this stuff really works.

tried ordering from jaycar in australia? Silly cheap and ships worldwide i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back