Anyone else can't "do" IEMs?
May 13, 2006 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

seantx

100+ Head-Fier
I bought some E2Cs today and tried for about 3 hours to get a comfortable and workable setup with the supplied ear tips. No matter what I tried I couldn't get them to stay in or they hurt so much that it wasn't worth it. The best fit I could get was the medium foamies. These were comfortable enough but if I moved at all they would "un-seat" from my ear canal.

The sound was much better than I expected and the isolation was fantastic. But after 3 straight hours of trying to make these work I gave up and took them back. Has anyone else have this problem and gotten around it?

May 13, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by seantx
I bought some E2Cs today and tried for about 3 hours to get a comfortable and workable setup with the supplied ear tips. No matter what I tried I couldn't get them to stay in or they hurt so much that it wasn't worth it. The best fit I could get was the medium foamies. These were comfortable enough but if I moved at all they would "un-seat" from my ear canal.

The sound was much better than I expected and the isolation was fantastic. But after 3 straight hours of trying to make these work I gave up and took them back. Has anyone else have this problem and gotten around it?

In most cases the pain goes gradually away after you have used the IEM:s enough. Usually it's a few weeks give and take.

May 13, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 23
seantx -- did you loop the cords over your ears? That helps "seat" the 'phones and keeps them from moving around, which could hurt.

But I will grant you that the E2Cs are a little "bulkier" than most other IEMs ... plus IEMs aren't for everyone, anyway. Some people probably feel a little claustrophobic with them in, some people have small ear canals, and some people would rather have headphones clamping on the outside of their ears than something inserted into the ear canal.

IEMs can take some time to get used to. If you haven't given up on IEMs, I will suggest trying Etymotics ER-6i's, which are tiny -- with the flanged tips they insert deeply, but with the foamies, they are comfortable and easy to insert and take out. Westones are supposed to be very comfortable, too. (Of course, not being able to try out IEMs complicates the decision-making process and forces us to rely on forums like this one, sometimes with mixed results...)

I hope you find something that works for you.

May 13, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 23
I really like my current IEM’s and am looking for a new pair (might end up with the HD650’s though, you shall see why), but I cannot wear them for longer than 30 minutes or so – I have eczema in my ear canals, which is a real downer for me as I would love to be able to use IEM’s for periods greater than 30 minutes.

May 13, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 23
I know what you mean seantx. I bought my friend some e2c for his birthday, and while he seems to be able to use them now, I still can't really fit them properly without hurting or without them popping out again. We both use them correctly with the cords over the ears etc. I guess I'm not an IEM type of guy.

May 13, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 23
no pain, no gain
tongue.gif

May 13, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 23
"From a comfort standpoint, I always liked Sony canalphones."

I agree with Kramer. Strictly in terms of comfort, I haven't tried anything that's more comfortable than the Sony's. Maybe they're not for the sonically demanding listener, and they don't isolate they way a more expensive IEM would ... but the very soft silicone tips make for a comfortable wearing experience.

Seantx -- if you have to go with headphones, would you have to get "around the ear" 'phones instead of "on the ear" 'phones? Also, hearing aid companies make creams and lotions to help soothe the ears as users transition to wearing something inside the ear ... maybe that could provide some help if you haven't given up on in-ears.

May 13, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 23
I just do not like to have things living inside my ear. Ive even given up on earbuds now. IEMs? not for me thanks.

May 13, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 23
I HATE anything that goes in my ear in any way shape or form. The only phones that I have ever been able to tolerate in this way were the lil sony sports ones.

Buds = worst thing ever, hurt my ears in minutes and the pain just grows.

IEM's = is it possible that ear canals sweat ? cause thats what they make mine feel like - hot and sweaty.

I like big cans. supra or circum-aural for me. I consider grado bowls very comfortable.

May 13, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 23
when I first got my etys, I found that they irritated me for the firs 3-4 days, but eventually my ears got used to them and I stopped noticing I was wearing them.

May 14, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 23
It's a given that the E2Cs are bigger than the normal ones (E4s, E3Cs, etc.) When I had the E2Cs, I found this out and earphonesolutions worked with me to get a better pair of earphones. The Westone UM1s were the most comfortable to me. E4s were also more comfortable (with different tips).

E2Cs don't really work for smaller than normal ears.

May 14, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 23
I agree with a few people so far who already expressed this sentiment: I just don't like the feeling of anything going into my ears. Especially not as far as an IEM.

Earbuds I can *tolerate*, especially for working out and such as my super-crappy Sony buds simply cannot be destroyed. But in general, I could never do serious listening with something in my ear like that.

I'll even go one better: circumaural cans only here, please! Just leave my poor ears alone...
280smile.gif

May 24, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #15 of 23
Yep. SF5Pro and 5EB both sounded great but hurt like the dickens when I smiled. The body & cord noise was problematic too, I'm not much of a sit-stiller.

Envious of those who can dig em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back