Anyone else annoyed by excessively long sigs?
Oct 23, 2004 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Spankypoo

500+ Head-Fier
Is it just me being retentive, or does anyone else get sick of scrolling through messages where there's one line of text, and 16 lines of signature? Seems like bad netiquette (ooh, haven't used that term in a while).

It's great that you approve your own message (novelty on that one wore off before it started), or you want to list every headphone you've ever tried (especially helps your image when you're commenting on models which aren't in the list) your home rig, portable rig, and circus rig (isn't that why we have profile pages?) or the quotes which have changed your life - but it's kind of a S/N killer.

Agreement? Disagreement?

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 54
It doesn't bother me much. Some people have pretty funny sigs once in a while. Isn't there an option in some forusm where you can enable or disable the viewing of sigs in user control panel?

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dokebi
It doesn't bother me much. Some people have pretty funny sigs once in a while. Isn't there an option in some forusm where you can enable or disable the viewing of sigs in user control panel?

There is, but I'd rather not block everyone's sigs. As you said, sometimes they're very funny, or informative, etc.

It's either that or block the users who're the worst offenders, but they often make great posts and I don't want to miss that either. It'd be nice if people just tried to keep it tidy.

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 54
Sigs that are very long are annoying. Over at www.ocforums.com they have a system where each line of text is a certain number of points (.75 for size 1, 1 for size 2, 1.5 for size 3, sizes over 3 disallowed) and the maximum number of points is ten. (Lines, including blank ones, are counted at 800x600.) No
or [ list] tags are allowed (I believe that they also block

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 54
Yes, it's annoying.
Especially everytime I have to read this one Quote:

Team Useless Poster : Team Cyclist : Team Just Trying to Survive Med School

Give up, just quit, because in this life, you can't win. Yeah, you can try, but in the end your just gonna lose, big time, because the world is run by the man... The Man, oh you don't know the man? He's everywhere... in the Whitehouse... down the hall. Ms. Mullins, she's the man. And the man ruined the ozone, he's burning down the Amazon, and he kidnapped Shamu and put her in a chlorine tank! And there used to be a way to stick it to the man, it was called Rock and Roll, but guess what, oh no, the man ruined that too with a little thing called MTV! So don't waste your time trying to make anything cool or pure or awesome cause the man is just gonna call you a fat washed up loser and crush your soul. So do yourselves a favor and just give up!!

the rig: 963sa -> blacksilvers -> otl32 -> rs-1 or e5 or (rogue audio 88 -> alon li'l rascal)

I'm tempted to recommend a bullet.
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 54
yes, I find it incredibly annoying when sigs run over 4 or 5 lines. some peoples' sigs are great, and I enjoy seeing some of them. sometimes it is even usefull to see their rigs in light of comments they may have made in posts.

however, we CAN each turn off the "view sig" option in User CP, so it doesn't do much good bitching and moaning (unfortunately). Unless Jude wants to say that long sigs make load times excessively long and lag the server(s), we each have to decide whether we want sigs or not, on an individual basis.

yay democracy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 54
mine is long - i could just say *see my profile for my setups and check my feedback* but that's boring for even me to see.

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 54
Long sigs annoy me, but it's mostly a problem on other forums. Here, it's probably the mini-essays that get to me. I'm annoyed by the sigs, but it's not bad enough for me to actually disable sig viewing. Some people do have funny sigs.

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 54
I changed the font of my sig. Is this tolerable?
tongue.gif

edit: made it even smaller.

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 54
Some are really fun to read, however I try to avoid reading my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back