Anyone do a review on Etymotic hf2's?
Jun 2, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have them, but I'm interested to hear a fellow head fi'ers view of them.....anyone?

Etymotic Research, Inc. - hf2â„¢ Earphones

Had to post a quick link for those who didn't know what you were talking about (including me).
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 9
What are the major differences between these and the 4P's? The isolation specs look amazing, I wonder if they are accurate. The 4P's isolate well enough for me.......

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 9
The isolation is excellent if you get a good seal. I can't compare them to the 4ps unfortunately. Note that the isolation can be a bit "disturbing" when you're actually talking on the phone since you can't hear yourself as well so modulating the volume of your voice can be problematic (I'm used to wearing earplugs and a helmet and talking so it's not a big deal, but it did surprise me when I first used it).

The biggest problem I've come across so far is that it's made me realize just how sucky the headphone out on the iphone is. Gen 2 iphone is supposed to be better (fingers crossed).

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Bumping this as I'm struggling to find a review anywhere on here of the hf2's. I got an iPhone on the weekend and need something to replace the iBuds. I'm currently using Westone UM2's with my 5.5G iPod and need something decent to replace them with for the iPhone. I figured the ety love on here would lead to many happy hf2 owners... Where are you all and where are your reviews????

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Well I bit the bullet and bought a set of hf2's. Review below..

346898476_8uAog-M.jpg

Initial impressions: Very pleased with them for $220 AUD. Very crisp with wonderful clarity in the mids and highs. Lows are also very well controlled, but lacking in punch and extension. Not the same level of bass response as my Westone UM2's (but I was expecting that from a single balanced armature IEM compared to the dual drivers in the UM2s, and won't complain too much at less than half the price), but the mids and high range have incredible accuracy for the price. Nice wide soundstage for IEMs at this price, but not as wide or deep as my UM2s.

Build quality is excellent. Soft touch plastic is used on each earpiece and the cable. Feels like a quality product, and what you'd expect for the price. The carry pouch is very good also. The come included with the excellent triple flange tips in 2 sizes (blue are for smaller ear canals), and a pair of foam tips that are a bit nasty. Spare wax filters and filter change tool included too.

The button on the mic works exactly the same as it does with the standard buds (click once to pause music, twice to skip forward a track etc). Haven't had any phone calls with them yet, so can't give any idea of call quality. Microphonics are pretty bad compared to the UM2's, but the microphonics of the hf2's are reportedly better than the ER4P/S. Something I'll probably get used to. Use of the shirt clip is pretty much essential if you're going to be walking around with these alot.

Early days yet, with only a few hrs use, but I'm very happy with them and think they're very good value.

346898680_EFgZ2-M.jpg

346899091_v2PDB-M.jpg

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 9
I was actually thinking about getting a UM2 for my Cowon D2 (which will be on on it's way soon to replace my broken Cowon U3). But i don't know if i should take the $300 plunge (alot of money for me) or stick with my CK7s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back