Anyone cut hair as a hobby or job or just to?
Nov 24, 2011 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

keosan24

Head-Fier
Im currently learning to cut hair from youtube videos
and i wanted to ask how come no matter how i go up with the 1/16 on the back of my nephews head for his taper the hairs wont catch and cut(just on left side of head)
Also if you cut hair post your experiences of cutting peoples hair 

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 9
Does a Flowbee count? :D

I actually bought one at a swapmeet once and gave it to my sister for Christmas. It keeps getting regifted around the family as a gag.

More seriously, though, I've been tempted to pick up a nice pair of clippers. That way I could give myself a buzz with a no. 3 every couple of weeks and trim up my neck with a DE razor. Cheaper than having a barber do it.

Also, the close cuts hide the gray :)eek:) that is slowly settling in. :)

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 9
haha whats a flowbee?
yeah thats what i decided to do was buy a clipper to cut peoples hair and my own hair for free while i learn instead of going to the barber to pay 12 bucks for a haircut and wait a hour or so to get it done.
I currently have the styliner trimmer and the wahl senior clipper(thinking about taking the senior back since its acting up and getting a new one) i last had the fast feeds but the adjustable clip guide just came loose no matter how tight the screws were so i ended up trading it in for money on the senior.
when you give your self a cut make sure to go over it a couple times to make sure your whole head is even :)
also one of my friends bad haircut experiences was when i didnt know exactly how to fade in his fohawk hair on the sides i took off the clip(so  its just the 0 on the clipper) and i told my friend to do it so he just grabs it turns it on and cuts a big blocked bald spot on the side of his hair(we ended up cutting the sides a bit shorter and he was mad) but everyone seemed to like his cut

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Was a "barracks barber" in the Marines a while back -been cutting my own hair since I was about 15 and have gotten fairly good with a razer -by my standards at least.  I wouldn't mind getting one of those flobees that Uncle Erik mentioned in the future.  That would most likely remedy the issue of the hair not catching the blade.  Hair can't fall when it's being sucked up by a vaccuum!

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 9
haircutting is also harder then it looks, id thought it would be simple to go over hair with a clipper but after you watch videos a couple of times each day you start to get the hang of what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back