Anyone care to look at my B&W photography?
Nov 7, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Those are some lovely shots, the contrast are wonderful, the framing are good too. I dable in the old photography myself too, it's in the link in my sig.

photo.net?!

that site is beyond my ability. overly perfect sometime.

I remember seeing your works before, the ferris wheel shot, and that colored in-studio blue shot.

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:04 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by grancasa
The lower left picture really works for me too. I think that the placement of the head in the frame really gives it some tension, like he is moving foward but stopped short. Because if you're following the rule of thirds for a normal photo, he's too far in the center. But for this picture moving him off the "third" adds drama. That vertical white line behind him is slightly distracting... maybe you could have re-framed to place that in front of his face?

I didnt notice there was a white line when i was taking the pic. This pic was actually taken right after Union Square of SF did the huge reconstruction/remodeling of the place. He was sitting on one of the cube stones, found this posture to be very quiet. I did managed to get quite a few of 'normal' 'regular' head/shoulder shots, and close up of his hand, But this one had the most character....and it just catches your attention.

To me, i dont find that line distracting...it actually ask the viewer to study his nose and front face.

Those images are from my first experience of exposing light to photo paper, so i wasnt that good at it. u can see the flaws when u view the larger versions.

And yes, that was a quarter per use public b-room. If i need to go, I use Mcdonald's or the one in malls.

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 29
One thing i really hope for is, you are inspired by looking at it. hehehehehhe.

Yes, indeed !!

Nov 7, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
photo.net?!

that site is beyond my ability. overly perfect sometime.

I remember seeing your works before, the ferris wheel shot, and that colored in-studio blue shot.

Don't sell yourself short!
I think those should be in photo.net.
You have a good eye for composition.

Keep up the good work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #22 of 29
Kenchi,

B&W portrays emotions very well, and that is what I see captured here in your photos. The photos of Curtis and Big Companion really show off the personality of the subjects. Your use of shadows, light, and darkness really work well in the photos of Curtis.

The only photo I had trouble with was Pause. It seems too static to me. Maybe because it is at such an angle to his face, but I'm not sure. Maybe it is the fact that the vertical building line in the background runs right thru the guys face detracts slightly from the overall composition. If he was turned slightly to one direction or the other it might have captured him a little better. But maybe I'm just being picky. (Just noticed something else, the exposure of Pause is very light, maybe is loses some emotion because of the lighting/exposure??)

The Curtis hat photo uses his arms to create some wonderful lead-in and lead-out lines that kinda pull you to the subjects head quite nicely!

You also seem to not shoot shots of people looking at the camera!! Great! Far too many shots have that posed, I know I'm having my picture taken look. Other than Big Companion no one is looking too near the lens.

Keep up the good work!! You have a good eye for shooting shots of people!! Maybe one day we'll see a Kenchi photo gracing the cover of some magazine somewhere!!

Nov 14, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #23 of 29
You're lucky you have a photography class there!

I found it almost unfathomable that berkeley didn't have a dedicated beginner's photography class. so stupid. you'd think a university of this size would have one no problem.

I like your photos. Much better than anything I've ever done. Photographing people was never a strong point for me... I have a hard time feeling comfortable and I always feel like I make my subject uncomfortable. I used to do some photography in high school, but have stopped since due to the lack of a manual SLR and the lack of a class. There are limited facilities here at cal, but I feel I need a little more direction.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 29
kenchi1983,

Your pictures are beautiful. They show real sensitivity and feeling for the subjects, excellent technique, and fine darkroom work. Your photography will bring you a lifetime of enjoyment, and perhaps lots of $$$.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 29
i'll simply echo the sentiments here: your photos are great! i really like the composition of all the shots, esp the guy in the fishing hat, and the woman with the parakeet(?).

well done!

ive been meaning to take up photography, tho my lack of a manual SLR (mine is an SLR, yet is fully auto, and theres no way to change the lens...great
camera tho...its actually the IS-10 from a few years back)

Lobster...try VISTA (addison and milvia)...a friend took a class there, and enjoyed it i think.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 29
nice.

but i subscribe to the rule of thirds. i think if you re-did them (some of them can't be re-done in the darkroom) they'll have even more impact. use carboard "L's" to recompose - i think you'll find it more pleasing.

there's a female photographer who came out with a book titled, "Pictures I Love to See". it should be in your school library.

rule of thirds: take a rectangle (view screen), cut into thirds. the imaginary lines are used for composition and the intersecting 4 points are used to focus attention.

don't forget the "S" composition or inverted "V" intersecting with the aforementioned 4 points.

one or two of them just needed a 30 degree change to make them "compositionally correct". another two could have been handled by moving back another foot. on another you could have scootched down about a foot and shot up for more impact. look at the child in the pic of the orientals. learn to wait until the background is clear.

by the way, my favourite lens is the 105. you can't give me a 135 (for 35mm). and my favourite format is 120mm.

see if you can find a 55mm f.9 (or 1.2 if you have to settle) for the srt. nice piece of glass.

Dec 22, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #29 of 29
hhehehe, i just did a search for this topic, and its still there.

So here you go, wallijohn, this is my first project for bw photography.

hope you guys like this set as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back