Anyone built a STAX adapter (srd7 clone?) before?
Apr 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Figo

100+ Head-Fier
After searching in vain for some time for an Srd-7 or other pro STAX adapter, I wonder if anyone has DIY their own? I can't imagine its too complicated.

Anyone know what goes into one?

Notice, I don't mean a STAX amp like KGSS, only an adapter to connect STAX headphones to a speaker amplifier.

-Jim

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After searching in vain for some time for an Srd-7 or other pro STAX adapter, I wonder if anyone has DIY their own? I can't imagine its too complicated.

Anyone know what goes into one?

Notice, I don't mean a STAX amp like KGSS, only an adapter to connect STAX headphones to a speaker amplifier.

-Jim

It's certainly not that hard to do. All you need is a bias supply (the SRD-7mk2 one is easily avaialble) and some 1:25 transformers with a center tapped secondary. The ratio isn't terribly important though so basically most output transformers can be used when wired backwards. To find the voltage stepup (or down) find the impedance ratio (6000:8 or what ever) and take a square root of it.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah, it's a dead simple circuit. I've considered doing it with transformers from a disused koss energizer.

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 13
I found that Andrea Ciuffoli has a design:

the STAX Transformer

I may use this but sub Hammond Iron, at least for the power Tranny. May use the Lundalh OPT.

Only problem is he says it required 13W + output from amp to work.. mine is a 12W tube.

Thoughts on this one? Looks straightforward enough. Now I need a STAX plug.

-Jim

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's a dead simple circuit. I've considered doing it with transformers from a disused koss energizer.

I ripped my E/10 apart and the transformers are a no go. The secondary isn't center tapped so Koss was up to their usual tricks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that Andrea Ciuffoli has a design:

the STAX Transformer

I may use this but sub Hammond Iron, at least for the power Tranny. May use the Lundalh OPT.

Only problem is he says it required 13W + output from amp to work.. mine is a 12W tube.

Thoughts on this one? Looks straightforward enough. Now I need a STAX plug.

-Jim

You can also just buy electrostatic step up transformers from Home Page and use those. There is no power transformer needed, only a back to back zener for the bias supply. The power draw is so vanishingly small.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ripped my E/10 apart and the transformers are a no go. The secondary isn't center tapped so Koss was up to their usual tricks.

the e/9 schematic shows a center tap and there are enough leads coming out of the transformers in my worthless 220v e/9 - do you mean that in the e/10 there is no tap, or that the tap is not in the center?

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the e/9 schematic shows a center tap and there are enough leads coming out of the transformers in my worthless 220v e/9 - do you mean that in the e/10 there is no tap, or that the tap is not in the center?

There is no tap visible but it could be hidden since they needed no 0v point. If there is no CT there isn't much use for the trafo unless for driving piezo drivers or SE electrostatics.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also just buy electrostatic step up transformers from Home Page and use those.

I am putting a pair of JRM M99B 1:50 trans into an energizer case (finally, had them for 3 month by now). The price, shipped within the states, was $108/pair. The M99b is the smallest in JRM's offering, but still that is a loud speaker trans so the size is like a 30VA power transformer (meanwhile the trans in a SRD-6 is of 5VA size). Outside finish on the M99b is not as "refined" as a commercial transformer, the sound is respectable though. I do not have anything to do direct JRM vs. SRD-6 comparison at this time.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am putting a pair of JRM M99B 1:50 trans into an energizer case (finally, had them for 3 month by now). The price, shipped within the states, was $108/pair. The M99b is the smallest in JRM's offering, but still that is a loud speaker trans so the size is like a 30VA power transformer (meanwhile the trans in a SRD-6 is of 5VA size). Outside finish on the M99b is not as "refined" as a commercial transformer, the sound is respectable though. I do not have anything to do direct JRM vs. SRD-6 comparison at this time.

That is a very good price compared to the Sowter ESL transformers. There are also some Hammond output trafo's that can be used but the price is roughly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back