Anyone built a balanced phono stage?
Jan 16, 2008 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

swt61

Dr. Wood
I just bought a TT that I plan on modding with a custom plinth and stand.
Since TTs are a true balanced source I was wondering if anyone here has built a balanced phono stage?
I'd like to secure one at a decent price (sub $700.00) if possible. With some guidance I can probably install the XLR jacks into the plinth, and wire them up.
Just wanting to know if my pricepoint is realistic, and if there are any DIY kits for balanced phono stages that I might be able to buy and have built?

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 25
send Peter Mcalister an email. He's building me a phono stage at a nice price that fit my budget. He might be able to help you out. Just plan on doubling his estimate of how long it will take
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure a balanced phono is such a good idea ?

diyAudio Forums - A Su-Sy Ono?

Well if it were anyone else spouting his opinion I'd probably ignore it, but Nelson Pass cautioning against an active balanced phono system certainly gives reason for pause. I guess I need to do more research.

A single ended solution would certainly be cheaper.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 25
I have a DIY Pass Xono, which is dual-mono. Not balanced in the sense that it has four channels, as the balanced outputs are achieved via a fairly complex inverter circuit of sorts. Unfortunately, it's about 2-3 times your price range and about 100x your size requirement. You can check it out when you stop by.

I'd recommend something like the Pass Pearl or Hagerman Bugle, etc. Also, how much gain you will need will be an important factor (i.e. if you are considering a moving coil, moving magnet, moving iron, etc.)

The best balanced phonostage I've heard is the Ayre P-5xe phonostage, but Charles Hansen never disappoints in my book. That being said, the Pass (actaully, Wayne Colburn) design won me over and got extra points for being DIY-able.

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 25
That Hagerman Bugle has a nice pricepoint. It seems like Nate just built one of those.
I'm not sure which cartridge I'll be using yet. The TT is a Mitsubishi LT-30. I used to own one several years back, and it's a pretty decent TT for the money. This was an ebay auction, and it comes with a Stanton L720EE (pretty much useless). It's been so long since I had a TT I'm out of the loop on cartridges. I had a mid priced Ortofon MC on my last LT-30, and it was OK, But I'm not opposed to a good MM, and I have no experience with MI.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Hagerman Bugle has a nice pricepoint. It seems like Nate just built one of those.
I'm not sure which cartridge I'll be using yet. The TT is a Mitsubishi LT-30. I used to own one several years back, and it's a pretty decent TT for the money. This was an ebay auction, and it comes with a Stanton L720EE (pretty much useless). It's been so long since I had a TT I'm out of the loop on cartridges. I had a mid priced Ortofon MC on my last LT-30, and it was OK, But I'm not opposed to a good MM, and I have no experience with MI.

moving iron is market speak for a Grado cartridge
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd take Nate up on his offer to try the Bugle. There's a kit that can be had that includes all the parts to build it, and my solder iron works on a barter economy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve,

If you want to borrow the Bugle just shoot me a PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Well if I like it I'll have to twist your arm to build me one.
tongue.gif
It will be a while before I'm ready for it though. I have a massive plinth and stand to build first, but I may take you up on that.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moving iron is market speak for a Grado cartridge
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd take Nate up on his offer to try the Bugle. There's a kit that can be had that includes all the parts to build it, and my solder iron works on a barter economy
smily_headphones1.gif

Ooh I like bartering!

Considering that this is an entry/mid level table (although it's a sleeper in my book) what cartridges would you recommend?

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if I like it I'll have to twist your arm to build me one.
tongue.gif
It will be a while before I'm ready for it though. I have a massive plinth and stand to build first, but I may take you up on that.
biggrin.gif

As usual Steve, I'm sure something can be arranged. I should be ordering the AC power supply /2 kit shortly so it'll be wall powered by the time that you see it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 25
Anyone else have any opinions on balanced phono stages? Sounds like Nelson Pass doesn't like them in theory due to some challenges that need to be overcome, but we haven't heard any other opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait to see the TT Steve.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else have any opinions on balanced phono stages?

depends what you mean by balanced. His comments are related to dual differential input amplifiers. Like I said, I has been done (and done well), case in point Mr. Hansen's stuff. In a sense, cartridges are by definition a balanced source. I think the schematic linked by 00940 would be an interesting one to try, but I agree that noise might be an issue with the floating ground.

Steve:

As for cartridges, I have a preference for moving coil cartridges, but they won't be the cheapest way to start. Before this, I had several of the woodied Grado cartridges, as well as the Benz Ace. These can be found gently used on Audiogon.

Anyways, one (vintage) cartridge I never tried that looks interesting is the Empire EDR.9:

AudiogoN Reviews: Empire EDR.9 Moving Magnet Cartridge

As for the current production cartridges, I'd go with an Ortofon perhaps. mimipool (?) who posts in the source section here seems to give solid advise and perhaps would be a good person to solicit for an opinion.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, please post pics once your done modding your TT
smily_headphones1.gif

I definitely will. I think I've decided on this particular piece of Sapele Pommele Veneer for the project. It's 20" x 108", so I sould have enough for the plinth and the matching stand I have in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As usual Steve, I'm sure something can be arranged. I should be ordering the AC power supply /2 kit shortly so it'll be wall powered by the time that you see it.

Cool. I like the fact that the case or cases could be kept small with this design as well. I could veneer a matching case for the phono stage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to see the TT Steve.
biggrin.gif

But you don't like wood!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depends what you mean by balanced. His comments are related to dual differential input amplifiers. Like I said, I has been done (and done well), case in point Mr. Hansen's stuff. In a sense, cartridges are by definition a balanced source. I think the schematic linked by 00940 would be an interesting one to try, but I agree that noise might be an issue with the floating ground.

Steve:

As for cartridges, I have a preference for moving coil cartridges, but they won't be the cheapest way to start. Before this, I had several of the woodied Grado cartridges, as well as the Benz Ace. These can be found gently used on Audiogon.

Anyways, one (vintage) cartridge I never tried that looks interesting is the Empire EDR.9:

AudiogoN Reviews: Empire EDR.9 Moving Magnet Cartridge

As for the current production cartridges, I'd go with an Ortofon perhaps. mimipool (?) who posts in the source section here seems to give solid advise and perhaps would be a good person to solicit for an opinion.

Back when I had my turntable moving coil was the way to go, I've heard that there are some nicer moving magnets now though. But I think I'll probably go moving coil. The Ortofon I had then was about $350.00, and I liked it well enough, but I'll do some more research as you suggested.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 25
In my limited experience with analog audio, I've found I prefer MC or LOMM cartridges (like the Grado Statement series of wood-bodied cartridges) to HOMM cartridges. The sound is just cleaner and more open.

I too was once curious about the possibility of balancing my analog rig, but decided against it since it doesn't seem to be a popular choice. Pass's comments reinforce my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back