anyone build their own speakers?
Aug 20, 2001 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Neruda

Banned Moderator
'Cause I'm building a pair right now...just about finished up the first one today in fact. Really cheap project, only cost me $40 overall (for the materials for both). It's a voigt pipe using full range drivers (a discontinued model from ratshack; each one costs $5). Don't quite know how it sounds yet since I only have one and it's not totally completed. the design I'm using is interesting: technically it's a voigt pipe but the horn is nearly twice the length of a regular one (some basic knowledge of the design is necessary to know what the hell I'm talking about, I guess). It's basically a folded voigt that is the same height as a regular one. Here's a picture of what i'm trying to build:
DIY37tqwt1.JPG

and here's a screenshot of the blueprints:
DIY37tqwt2.JPG

Mine is 72" tall, 14" deep, and 7" wide. They're frickin' huge! They're going to be a total bitch to transport
biggrin.gif
. I'm just using particle board for my first pair but intend to make a second, higher quality pair if I like the first ones. Like I said earlier I can't tell you much about the sound yet, but I'll report back as soon as they're done (which should be sometime next week, or the week after. this is a weekend project).

Aug 20, 2001 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 45
So how much help are you going to need on this project Neruda
wink.gif

But I hear you will get little bass on these... may need to invest in a subwoofer... Still, probably a fun thing to do, build a speaker. Don't be dissappointed when you find out that it doesn't sound that great...

What amp are you planning on using?

Aug 20, 2001 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 45
okay, first off, does it sound like I need help?
biggrin.gif
Second, I can already tell that the bass is extending pretty deep. The driver itself starts to taper off after 200Hz, but the enclosure does a great job of improving the bass response. The designer of this speakers says that with this driver the bass is flat to about 40Hz, and that's what I'm aiming for. If I can get that, no sub will be needed (in fact, if I can get that, I'll be very impressed and pleased). Besides, that ruins the idea of speakers using full range drivers! Third, no money for an amp yet. I'd sure like to have a Monarchy Audio SM-70, but that won't be for a while, if ever...

And don't say crap about it probably not sounding good, that's waaaay to pessimistic. From what i heard today I think this speaker has tons of potential.

Aug 20, 2001 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 45
Well excellent...

So, do you have a saw for this/where did you get the board (*suddenly decides that chych will build a speaker*)?

I saw your post on the Vifa full range drivers, have you been able to locate them? And post links on that speaker construction stuff! Must see...

I was looking over at www.partsexpress.com and found a lot of Vifa speakers, they all seem to extend only to 5khz

Aug 20, 2001 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 45
man, I wish I could have use drivers that big for this project! They're almost always more efficient and have a better frequency range (like this one
tongue.gif
). sadly the front of the speaker is too thin, but whatever. If you want to see some rather impressive full range drivers, check out www.babbspeakers.com. For about $130 you can get two 5 1/4" speakers that go from 38-18,000Hz +/- 3dB! damn! that'll be my first upgrade
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2001 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 45
Yeah Neruda, I have faith that these speakers will sound good. I don't see why not if you use those Babbspeakers. I'm very intrigued by that speaker box design, it looks like it could work! Do you have a link to a cleaner blueprint with some instructions, I would like to try building some speakers too. Thanks. I can't wait to hear the review on your speakers.

Aug 20, 2001 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 45
here's a pic pf my pipe. i'm just waiting for someone with a car that can transport the wood for me, so i can make the second one.
voigtpipe.jpg

the guy who designed this one said that it could go down to 40hz, but so far it doesn't sound like that. later today i'm going to bring it out to my back yard to make sure that it's not my room that's killing the bass.

Aug 20, 2001 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 45
as far as instruction goes, the only place that really tells you more about these speakers is here: http://melhuish.org/audio/diy37.htm Using his design I made some blueprints of my own and used those. Mine is a little different in that it's a little bit taller and, if that screenshot is correct, have my diagonal board in differently. But yeah, if I could ever get some of those babb drivers than these speakers would be even better. However, if the bass with the ratshack drivers is good enough, the only reason I'll need to get those drivers is for better treble extension. Still, maybe with the babb's I could bring the bass extension down to about 20Hz...

Skippy, nice pipe! (whoah, what forum am I on here? oops, sorry jude...
tongue.gif
) I know you told me how tall that one is, but can you tell me again? I love these speakers, they're all so massive!
biggrin.gif

Chych, I can't find a company that sells this particular speaker, but Vifa makes a 3" driver that goes from 75Hz to about 15kHz +/- 3dB. I'm pretty sure it's the MG10SD09-08. The problem for me is that it's really inefficient (about 85dB), and I want higher efficiency. I've spent a long time researching drivers but I can't find a driver smaller than about 5 inches that has an efficiency higher than 90. I guess it's because they have to push down most of the frequency spectrum to make the bass extend further.

Aug 21, 2001 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 45
I've seen those timoteus... they look hard to build.

Care to give us your impressions of it and what drivers you used, and cost of project?

Aug 21, 2001 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 45
I bow to you, oh great timoteus! That's really amazing! Hedlunds are about as hard as DIY speakers seem to get...

Well, I basically finished the first speaker today. The second side panel has been screwed on, however I still need to open it up and add the acousta-stuff or whatever it's called. I've been listening to it and although the midrange definitely needs work, I really like the sound. The bass seems extended and the highs are satisfactory. The driver still needs to burn in though, which should improve things further.

Aug 21, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 45
Hi Chych-

Yeah, they are kind of hard to build. Not so much technically difficult but very labor intensive. If you paid yourself $1.00/hour you could probably save yourself some money by buying completed cabinets from http://hornet.hi-fi.hr

The good news is they sound great! I really think full-range drivers and horns and tube equipment are the way to go. No crossover network and multiple drivers trying to integrate into a single voice, phase problems and the like...very dynamic and realistic sound.

The drivers I chose cost $800.00/pair and are now closer to $1000.00/pair. You can see them at www.lowtherloudspeakers.com
Other than that you have 4 1" sheets of MDF, maybe $100.00 and $200.00 for the oak. On top of that you need a router, circle jig and basic woodworking tools if you don't have them already.
You can see the plans for the cabinets at both of the above sites. So with odds and ends and free labor you might have $1500-2000 in a pair.

These horns are very sensitive to the quality of the components upstream. I figure it will take me three years to build or replace everything in my system front to back. I am about halfway there now and getting improvements in sound every step of the way.

I want headphones and amps too. I have been reading here and at headwize for about a year trying to gain knowledge (thanks everybody). Maybe when GWB sends me my check I can join all of you and actually have quality phones.

timoteus

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 45
Wow! Thanks Neruda. I like compliments. I have shown these cabinets to family and friends and they just don't get it. Different wavelengths I guess.

I started building these before the hornet version became available. Which is good because I wasn't tempted to buy them outright instead of building. Like all DIY it was a great learning experience. I have found the more DIY you do the easier you are on yourself concerning the results. You try to build the perfect project and at best you get 95% and have to learn to live with the other 5%. The more you do the easier it is to accept that last 5% for what it is. Best to enjoy the process and not be so hard on oneself.
(ramble, ramble, blah, blah)

Good luck on your project and enjoy. Fun stuff. And because of the proud pappa syndrome our projects will always sound better than store bought.

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 45
That's too bad man, I hope you at least found one or two people that appreciated them. At least you know that people worldwide are looking at that site and gawking at them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back