Anyone afraid of going deaf or having tinnitus???
Mar 22, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I've always had tinnitus. Long before my headphone obsession.

-Ed

Same, had a lot of ear infections as a kid.

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 71
Yes. I'm afraid of tinnitus (deaf is not an option before tinitus).

I listen to music at a rather loud volume. I can't really measure how loud it is it is about 2-3 X Jam_master_J's listening volume
biggrin.gif
but im not suffering from tinnitus. I'm aware of the possible damge of some songs and I always turn the volume down whenever i listen to those songs instead of forcefully let my ears take it. I happen to know ppl who'd do the opposite, and the result? tinnitus
rolleyes.gif

I have learnt to listen to rock music at low volumes nowadays, or just listen to them on speakers. It may be fun with the grados but i dun think it is worth the damge done to one's ears.

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #18 of 71
a little ringing here late at night when everything's quiet. i've also had it way before this headphone obsession. i have noticed that it gets worse after using iems even though i try to be conscious about the volume and goes away.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #19 of 71
Well, I used to be a DJ and let me tell you. After being in a booth for 4+ hours sometimes, you do get a faint ringing noise in your ears thats noticeable when everything is quiet. But the thing that was good was that it went away when I stopped Dj'ing. I only get the high pitch noise once in a blue moon.

I don't listen to my music loud enough to hurt my ears. I usually turn my volume down as time goes on. I do this because after a while, my ears have gotten used to "that" volume and is now too loud so I turn it down just a little more.

I only listen to songs waayyy loud to hear a certain aspect of the song. Other than that, its quiet for me. I almost NEVER listen to my iPod's volume past 60% with my KSC75's (if that will help with a reference for yall).

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 71
Just to comment and add my 2 cents:

Kudos, to other posters who've noticed that there's been A LOT of threads on Head-Fi regarding IMMINENT AND UNDISCLOSED DANGERS of all things related to Head-Fi enjoyment:

EMF radiation, iPod and bikes, loud volumes and hearing problems/noises, headphone extension and interconnect strangulation and tripping hazards, earbud and IEM suffocation dangers, etc.

We all have to inform ourselves and make personal decisions given the potential benefit and dangers of many everyday enjoyable things we CHOOSE to do. It's not just headphones:

alcohol, driving fast, safe/unsafe sex, smoking cigs or weed, strain injuries with computer use, rock concerts, eating poorly, etc.

It just seems like basic common sense to me sometimes.

And it's not like most people don't KNOW that any loud noise for extended periods of time can cause hearing damage and ringing, humming noises. I mean most headphones and audio equipment have written warnings in their documentation. It's not some new, great scientific revelation that loud noise + time = not good for my ears.

Anyway enough of my ranting, and thank you to original poster and all thread replies in keeping me sociable and keeping my noodle working lest it disintegrate from non-use (though I think it already has).
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

As always I love Head-Fi as there's always something cool to yak about and most Head-Fiers are so cordial.

(how funny while writing this I looked up lest in Mac OS X dicitionary to make sure I was using it right. Here is example sentence it gave me. How appropriate
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
:

lest |lest| conjunction formal with the intention of preventing (something undesirable); to avoid the risk of : he spent whole days in his room, headphones on lest he disturb anyone. • (after a clause indicating fear) because of the possibility of something undesirable happening; in case : she sat up late worrying lest he be held up on the way home.)

eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #21 of 71
I don't have tinnitus, but thought some that do might be interested to know that tinnitus is a condition that is treatable by using traditional Chinese medicine. I am not exactly sure whether it be acupuncture, cupping, herbal therapy, or moxibustion, but if I had tinnitus I would definitely be open to exploring this avenue of treatment further.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #22 of 71
Many who have Meniere's Disease like I do eventually go completely deaf. HOWEVER, the tinnitus remains. I'm not sure if that's the case with tinnitus from all other causes, but I have known people who've gone deaf from non-Meniere's sources and they still have the constant ringing. The reason for this, it's thought, is that tinnitus originates in the brain, not in the ear. The brain is trying to "tune in" the lost sound from the damaged ear; when it cannot find it, it makes some up. Thus, the ringing. Many end up suicidal and/or in counseling.

I cannot stress enough: if you don't have ringing, keep it that way. If you develop it, for God's sake, treat your ears like eggshells and turn the volume down.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
What I don't get is why people do claim speaker listening to be safer than headphones listening.In the end all what counts is SPL, no matter if induced by speakers, headphones, machines or whatever.

You are right, SPLs are SPLs. But it is true that with headphones, a given decible level does not seem as loud as that identical decible level on speakers. I tried it. On headphones, 85dbA average seems pretty loud, but by no means excessively so, even though it is above a safe threshold for someone who listens many hours per day. 85dbA average on speakers sounds REALLY LOUD. I encourage you all to get an SPL meter and try it.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #25 of 71
I also get that faint ringing wound when it is totally quiet.It can be contributed to alot of noise at work or anyhting i did in the day that was loud.

I used to do this alot but still do it on occation is the really turn up the volume.Then you get to the point where you don't need to do that to enjoy music.

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 71
To the original poster, yes I am afraid of going deaf or losing my hearing. I already have tinnitus at age 46 and have had it for 3 years, right after Carolina Hurricanes run up to Stanley Cup finals. They say our arena is the loudest in the league. Gee thanks. Triggered my tinnitus. Any loud noise above 95db can trigger tinnitus (ringing in the ears that never goes away). Estimted 200million americans with tinnitus in varying degrees. There are treatments but no cures. Best hope is prevention. Wear ear plugs to rock shows and indoor sporting events and around loud machinery, jets, guns. Never listen above 85db sustained. Never listen to headphones for more than an hour. You can prevent tinnitus and hearing loss. I have tinnitus but no measurable hearing loss at this time.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #29 of 71
Keep in mind that anti-depressants (SSRIs) will cause mild tinnitus, the kind you notice in a quiet room only after you start concentrating on your hearing. Just in case anyone mistakenly thinks it's from loud listening.

That being said, I think a lot of people listen too loud. At meets, when someone hands me a pair of headphones, almost every time the first thing I do is turn down the volume, wondering how they can take it so loud.

I also believe the relative volume of bass/mids/highs matters. Midrange is what the ear is designed to hear best (this is the range of human speech), so if the mids are loud relative to the other frequencies, the music will hurt your hearing more.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #30 of 71
can those cheap ear bud headphones cause tinnitus, do they go that loud?

I've been listening to headphones since as far back as 1989 (batman soundtrack hehe) and I'm 22. I have no problems with my hearing, but this thread has raised some concerns for me. I may check my hearing next time I'm at the docs, and in the past few years I've been careful to not raise the volume too loud. I'm glad I have my hd-555, cause I dont have to turn it up loud to enjoy my music now. I'd hate to lose my hearing, maybe moreso than my vision (its hard to answer when someone asks you which would you rather lose)

all of this reminds me of that Tales from the Crypt episode when that guy kills somebody and he starts hearing this voice that annoys the hell out of him, telling him hes a murderer etc. etc. then it turns out after he sticks q-tips all the way into his ear canals, then rips off his ears, it was his conscience the whole time. IDK why this reminds me of that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back