Anyone afraid of going deaf or having tinnitus???
Apr 1, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 71
I do have a bit of it also, working in noisy environments, loud concerts, etc.
It is enough to notice but not enough to cause much discomfort or interference with my enjoyment of music.
I do as a result though make sure not to listen too loudly.

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #47 of 71
I have a very very weird tinnitus-like ring. It only appears after days, weeks, or even months for a few seconds time. Not even when listening to music or the like...just like that.

This started happening after a PSU from a PC exploded in front of me some time ago. I think it did...since it is really almost unnoticeable.
I don't care a lot for it, can't be that bad if it's like that.

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #48 of 71
occasionally when it is dead quiet, i can hear a ringing noise, is this something to be worried about?

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #49 of 71
I have a form of chemically-induced tinnitus; my ears ring when I take my heart medication.

I am serious here, and my Wife is even getting angry.
mad.gif

My MS-1s are trying to kill me!!
eek.gif

I'm not kidding!!

I've had these cans for about two weeks now and I've rediscovered my entire CD collection all over again.

Where the problem comes in, is when I enjoy listening again, I tend to avoid that which may reduce my enjoyment of the tunery.

In this case, the meds.

Right now I'm sitting here listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival with no ears ringing but swelling in the feet.

How grotesque!!

Let's see now; what are my choices??.....
frown.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #50 of 71
There are over 200 prescription and OTC medications that can trigger or aggrevate tinnitus. All OTC pain relievers except Tylenol (acetaminophen) are triggers/aggrevators.

I listened to my MS-2's for hour and a half last night and my ears are ringing today.
confused.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 71
I've been pretty careful to avoid any over-loud sounds/music thus far in my life (I'm only 16 so far, you see) and want to keep fully enjoying music as long as I can without repercussions *fingers crossed*
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #52 of 71
I never had tinnitis or any ear issues until I found head fi and started buying better gear and listening to it for absurd lengths of time. I wear headphones while I work, almost all day, and I frequently work 12-15 hour days. Lately, I've also been listening to my new phones and IEM's before bed also.

That's a lot of headphone time; probably too much.

With lo-fi gear, I was never tempted to turn up the volume. With good gear (particularly that wonderous little Xin Micro III), I have to force myself to keep the volume lower than I want it. I can certainly hear the music at low volume, but man it's sweet to crank it up when a good "power song" is cued up.

I don't have ear pain or ringing really, but I do feel *something*, and it's probably not good.

I've always had a problem with moderation...

Apr 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #53 of 71
Ive been into audio and sound reproduction for as long as I can remember, and in EVERY one of my hobbies folks warn of tinnitus and permanent hearing damage. So... yes I am paranoid and do everything possible to protect my ears.

I listen to my amps/cans at a very low level, almost whisper quiet compared to others. I typically listen at a point just above the channel imbalance point on my millet and pimeta.

Thats one of the reasons I like grados, they sound GOOD at lower volumes. My HD580 by comparison sounds kind of dull at lower volumes.

Garrett

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #54 of 71
My tinnitus has been with me for many years and is a constant low-level companion though I've gotten used to it and am usually good at ignoring it. My upper ranges are also not what they were due to age and abuse, but what the hell, it was a lot of fun getting to this stage and I still like it loud and rockin'.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Thats one of the reasons I like grados, they sound GOOD at lower volumes. My HD580 by comparison sounds kind of dull at lower volumes.

I feel the same way about my DT770's -- sound very good even at low levels.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #56 of 71
Has anyone tried listening to music at a REALLY low level? I hear its supposed to improve your hearing. Kinda like a work out for your ears. lol

Sorry for bringing this thread back. Just ordered some good headphones and I started thinking about ruining my hearing lol.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #57 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaceWinnfield
Has anyone tried listening to music at a REALLY low level? I hear its supposed to improve your hearing. Kinda like a work out for your ears. lol

Sorry for bringing this thread back. Just ordered some good headphones and I started thinking about ruining my hearing lol.

I find myself listeing at very low volumes. I don't know if it actually makes you hear better, but it probably does train your ears/brain to extract more information at a lower volume.

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaceWinnfield

I find that listening at low levels gets better with practice!

Like anything else, it does take some getting used to, but I find that I enjoy my tunes at a lower level than what I imagined I would when I first "Discovered" cans here a few months ago.

And, I suspect my ears WILL last a bit longer because of it!!

One other thing surprized me! And since tinnitus is a part of this thread as well, I find that, in my case at least, that the ringing acts more like another instrument which is almost localized and somewhat easier to ignore while listening thru cans; while the ringing kinda just intrudes on the overall effect of the sound when listening through speakers!

Cans Rule!!

Apr 30, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #59 of 71
Before coming here i had no idea what it was called.I have had mild ringing in my ears for so long that i thought it was normal and wrote it off.It gets worse after ling listening sessions but it goes away if i were to stay away from my setup.But then again i work in a noisy environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back