Anybody working on a top 10 yet?
Dec 8, 2004 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
I haven't heard that many of the "big" ones this year so my list will be even more indie than usual. The one posted a couple days ago at PopMatters is pretty good. I really want to hear that Augie March CD. I listened to the songs at the label but guess not many people have heard it, even though it was released a couple years ago in their native Australia. Pretty cool sound, though. Kind of like the Arcade Fire. New lists today at The Onion too. Also lists from some of the big music magazines and ezines like UNCUT and Q and GQ and Blender have hit the ether and are displayed at discussion boards like http://obner.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1356&start=all

Haven't quite worked out my top 10 yet but something like this although the order will probably change little...

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
The Futureheads - The Futureheads
Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum
Honeydogs - 10,000 Years
Carina Round - The Disconnection
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Blonde Redhead - Misery Is A Butterfly
Moonbabies - The Orange Billboard
Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard the End

and the next 10 is something like this...
Lali Puna - Faking The Books
Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld
The National - Cherry Tree EP
Electrelane - The Power Out
Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain
Old Canes - Early Morning Hymns
Richmond Fontaine - Post To Wire
David Kilgour - Frozen Orange
TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

but they might move up or down. Maybe have to work that Modest Mouse album in there someplace too. Just don't find myself going back to it very often for some reason, even though when I play it I do really like it. Not the way I love the last two, but still a lot. And where to put Devendra Banhart? Got the new Nick Cave on the way and suspect that might just wind up in the top 10 too since I'm a big fan. Oh well, guess it's still a work in progress. Comments welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't even have 10 albums released this year, so I'd have to say that Velvet Revolver's Contraband, C2B3's Big Eyeball in the Sky and Black Label Society's Hangover Music are the best of 2004.

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 14
I'm working on my Top 50 but its gonna be hard because I listened to so much more music this year that it's ridiculous. I like many of your picks, especially putting Old Canes on there. Awesome Awesome album.

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 14
Good idea, here is a start in no particular order, just what I have liked this year. :

Lars Horntveth - Pooka
Dosh - Pure Trash
Isis - Panopticon
Joseph Arthur -Our Shadows Will Remain
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
The Futureheads
Lali Puna - Faking the Books
Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands
Groundtruther - Lattitude
Pan American - Quiet City
Adem - Homesongs
The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place
Norah Jones - Feels Like Home
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
Modest Mouse - Good News..
Pan Sonic - Kesto
Arovane - Lilies
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
Ratatat
Franz Ferdinand
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Deerhoof - Milk Man

whoa... this is more like a top 20, most of which has been reviewed at pitchfork.

Need to get the new Blood Brothers and give Nick Cave some more spins.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be Lars Horntveth. I am a huge Jaga Jazzist fan.

Good list Davey, will definately have to check out some of those I havnt heard.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 14
I couldn't honestly get a top ten out this year's releases without putting things that I could only say "well, they were the best, of this year"

Genuine Additions:
Franz Ferdinand
Medeski, Martin and Wood(funk/jazz/fusion/acid/electronic lovers do yourself a favor and pick this up)
AYWKUBTTOD(trail of dead, if their new album is released on time, f-ing brilliant)
blood brothers(what's his name finally learned how to sing, and it sounds excellent)
u2(as long as it is in the "pop" category)
cut copy(80s pop with a large helping of Daft Punk)

Most of the rest seemed like lackluster sequels to the garage-band explosion of last (couple) of years.

I really enjoyed TV on the Radio's album, and the Streets album was nice but I am getting a little sick of the "all talent, zero skill, but hey were poor so respect us" scene.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 14
I agree with most of the suggestions as cadidates, but I would definitely add Brian Wilson's "Smile".

Dec 11, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 14
Davey,
I agree with you about the futureheads. They have climbed in to my top 10 as well. They channel the Jam and English Beat so well.

All,
What I am not understanding is all the accolades for Arcade Fire. I have heard so much positive I bought the CD and since I was travelling all week I used the immersion method and basically listened on my ipod every chance I had

Well it's Friday and if I never heard it again it would bother me. I dont hate it, i just dont get it. To me it is at best ok.

What am I missing?

Dec 11, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
What I am not understanding is all the accolades for Arcade Fire.....To me it is at best ok.....What am I missing?

Maybe nothing. Sometimes we forget that music is subjective and there's nothing wrong with not liking a certain sound or voice or even production style. There was a thread about it on another site and here's what I said...

Yeah, that's one album that I think really benefits from repeat listens as a whole, at least for the opening suite of 4 or 5 songs. My only complaint, and don't take it as a diss at all, is that after all those repeat listens I started to get a little tired of it. Some of the initial charm wore off. Partly, I think, because the production can't hope to match the grandeur of the songs when recording on a small budget like this. It just doesn't have the depth of sound their influences had, like David Bowie who also named it album of the year. Even in those drugged out years in the 70s, Bowie was still cranking out at least one mostly excellent album per year - or maybe it was because of the drugs, I don't know - but he had much more money funding his works so they sound more professional than the Arcade Fire and most of the other small indie releases. Still love Funeral and it's in my top 10, just not quite the mind-blowing experience that it might've been with the right production and a top flight producer/engineer helping them clean up some of the rough edges and streamline the flow. I could say the same about the Fiery Furnaces, but I think they made it work better for their sound, except for a couple missteps. Could have used some top flight studio people, especially an ace guitar player, but I think their vision is better realized (for me) than the Arcade Fire. Can't wait for the next edition of both, though.

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 14
Two albums for me this year: Franz Ferdinand, And Reise, Reise by Rammstein. Both are being played to death now.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 14
Davey,

Not trying to jack your thread here just trying to gain appreciation for something that other's praise highly.

As a long time music fan I get that different people have different tastes. But as with wine, sometimes educating yourself or coming at it from different direction can change your whole viewpoint...I.E. understanding how it was made or what sound/feel they were trying to achieve helps with that.

To use the Jam as an example. I didn't like them the first time i heard them. I thought they were a poor Who imitation. But when someone else told me that Paul Weller as a big Who and Otis Redding fan then I got it: they were trying for something with that wild rock energy but also infused with soul music. It suddenly made sense to me. I guess that was what I was looking for here. I know that is difficult at times to articulate why you like something like me liking a couple of Barry Manilow songs
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for taking the time to reply though

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Well it's Friday and if I never heard it again it would bother me. I dont hate it, i just dont get it. To me it is at best ok.

What am I missing?

I'm with Davey in that I gave that record plenty of spins, but for some reason got tired of it in the long run. I actually went CD shopping today, saw it on the store shelf...and hesitated. Despite having listened to it at least two dozen times by now. I don't know whether it was the production that didn't do it for me, as it did for him. But either way it's a very good album but at this moment I'm a little cold about it.

Currently listening to TV on the Radio...heard the single "Staring at the Sun" a little while back on the radio and the rest of the album is growing on me. Outside of that I've bought very little this year, so I'm hesitant to make any list. Was it a rather slow year to anyone else or am I just really missing something?

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Nightwish - Once
Scarling - Sweet Heart Dealer
Kittie - Until the End
Drowning Pool - Desensitize
The Corrs - Borrowed Heaven
The Gathering - Sleepy Buildings (A Semi-Acoustic Evening)
Lennon Murphy - I Am

hmm now im stuck.

Dec 11, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

All,
What I am not understanding is all the accolades for Arcade Fire. I have heard so much positive I bought the CD and since I was travelling all week I used the immersion method and basically listened on my ipod every chance I had

What am I missing?

Try seeing them live. Mad energy, crazy talent, and tight musianship. Because they are even better live they make my top 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back