Anybody tried this attenuator?
May 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Iniamyen

100+ Head-Fier
May 7, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 17
DACT attenuators are basically just built to better standards, and the line I'm thinking of uses a ladder network of resistors instead of a series divider.

Nonetheless, I've heard good things about this "ebay version"

May 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 17
Yes, I asked the same question a while ago, before purchasing it. I couldn't justify the cost of a really good attenuator either and this one works well, sounds great (better than the pot I was using) and I'll be getting another one very soon (probably this evening) to put in another amp I'm building.

May 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 17
Sounds like it's worth a shot then. Thanks for the recommendations.

When even my untrained ears can hear grainy artifacts because of the pot, I know it's time to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 17
For those looking for a more expensive, but significantly better built attenuator, have a look at HeadAmp Audio Electronics (Order). Justin is providing some pretty steep discounts on real DACT attenuators and it's awesome to see a manufacturer supporting the DIY side of the hobby like this. I've used one of the Ebay attenuators and have an ongoing problem with the switch rendering it essentially useless. Not saying it isn't worth the $30 gamble, but make sure you check the operation of the all the steps.

May 7, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 17
From what I've read, the Noble potentiometer is suppose to be superior to the Blue Velvet (and Black Beauty), and it's supposedly a direct drop in for the Alps model, which is perfect if you have clearance issues. Beyond Percy Audio, I'm not sure who else sells them...any ideas?

May 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 17
Here's one - 10k, but it is a nice pot. I used one in my Raven as a shunted pot.

The best _available_ 'regular' pots are the TDK 2511 (or 2508). Not sure if they are better than the rk40 or not.

May 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those looking for a more expensive, but significantly better built attenuator, have a look at HeadAmp Audio Electronics (Order). Justin is providing some pretty steep discounts on real DACT attenuators and it's awesome to see a manufacturer supporting the DIY side of the hobby like this. I've used one of the Ebay attenuators and have an ongoing problem with the switch rendering it essentially useless. Not saying it isn't worth the $30 gamble, but make sure you check the operation of the all the steps.

I didn't even know Headamp sold DIY, prices are very reasonable as well. I almost payed the same price secondhand, for a Dact. Well done Justin.

May 8, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those looking for a more expensive, but significantly better built attenuator, have a look at HeadAmp Audio Electronics (Order). Justin is providing some pretty steep discounts on real DACT attenuators and it's awesome to see a manufacturer supporting the DIY side of the hobby like this.

I agree 100%. Justin is going to sell a lot of these once the word gets out.

It is good for him, and good for us!
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree 100%. Justin is going to sell a lot of these once the word gets out.

It is good for him, and good for us!
beerchug.gif

Is that for real? If so, thanks a million for the heads up!
atsmile.gif

May 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif

Yes it is.

Too bad I can't afford a cmoy at the moment or I would certainly have a use for those!

May 9, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif

I didn't do anything - thank Nate and Justin
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back