anybody tried recabling using HD650 cable?
Aug 24, 2009 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to do this to my ES7. Is it worth it? Is it easy enough to do? I just need to cut off the senn plugs and solder the two cables into each driver right? (Or install plugs to my ES7)
I made this an option because locally headphone cables are very hard to come by, but there is a store that sells pre-made ones such as ES2 and HD650 cables.

Thanks!

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 9
It's easy to do but I wouldn't recommend it. The HD650 cable is known to have low grade copper and pour dialectic properties. Another problem has to do with striping the paint off of the wires them selves. Too much hassle.

Is there any reason you want to recable them? If your looking for better sound quality I'd recommend using some nice Jena or TWcu. I personally think the TWcu sounds much better on my HD600's compared to Jena.

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy to do but I wouldn't recommend it. The HD650 cable is known to have low grade copper and pour dialectic properties. Another problem has to do with striping the paint off of the wires them selves. Too much hassle.

This is interesting, I always thought the HD 650 cable was of decent quality? Would you say that the cable is poor enough to lose sound entirely? My SA5000 has been recabled with said cable and has been sitting dormant on my shelf for the past 6 months because the sound had cut out in one channel. Do you think it could be the cable?

Aug 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

The HD650 cable is known to have low grade copper and pour dialectic properties.

The only reason it's "known" to be whatever major aftermarket cable tinkerers want us to believe it is because it's user-detacheable, so every dumbass can "upgrade" the cavbe. In reality, HD 650 are one of the best stock cables around it's non microphonic, light but durable. And stock molded connectors are far more superior than anything produced by "aftermarketers". Nobody ever speaks how awful stock beyer cables are-it's basicaly litz-based 3-conductor cable which goes tothe left cup(being single-entered) then, another chunk of completely different, coaxial cable goes from left driver to right and nobody ever complains about it. But there's no surprise, since cable are not easily-detacheable it's good enough...

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Years back I used a HD650 cable on a HD25-1 and that did improve the sound as I remember and it was dead easy as they use the same plugs so no cutting or soldering.

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Wow, I always heard it was a crap cable. Opps my bad guys..

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 9
I re-terminated my stock HD 650 cable so my phones would accept balanced output. It was easy enough to do, working with the wire is fine. Just let it sit in some heated up solder on the end of a soldering iron tip for a few seconds and the coating will burn off and you have tinned wire.

As for the quality, the stock cable is definitely good enough to allow for a big difference in dq when balanced. But I also upgraded the stock cable to SE cardas cable and there was a huge difference. The cardas cable almost entirely got rid of the "veil". I'm planning making a DIY balanced cable and I hope to realize as big of a difference.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Wow, I always heard it was a crap cable. Opps my bad guys..

[size=small]
Are you sure it wasn't the HD600 cable being discussed? That cable is reputedly markedly inferior to the HD650 cable.[/size]

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]
Are you sure it wasn't the HD600 cable being discussed? That cable is reputedly markedly inferior to the HD650 cable.[/size]

That depends who you talk to..
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back