Anybody seen Yo La Tengo in concert?
Mar 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 10
I've seen videos of them playing
smily_headphones1.gif
and my friends have seen them a lot.

supposedly AWESOME in concert, just go!

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 10
It seems like it was a million years ago but I saw them and they were great. Hard to relate an experience from the late 80s to today, but I agree with jinp6301: just go!
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 10
I've seen them numerous times and they've always been very good. These days they play lots of both their noisier stuff and their really mellow stuff. They tend to play long shows, filling them out with covers and stuff towards the end. Last time I saw them they played Prisoners of Rock n Roll by Crazy Horse, which was great. Definitely go so you can judge for yourself.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Saw them last year and they were stupendous. Like someone said, they played a good mix of their noisy and poppy stuff, but they really shone on the noisy material. Ira Kaplan's guitar freakouts were jaw-dropping at times. If you're a fan you won't want to miss them (especially if you like their latest album).

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 10
I've seen them a few times. They really have fun on stage, this is what I love about them and they're solid but I've never really been blown away by them.

It's strange, everytime I see them they never do the songs I REALLY like, only the stuff I think is "ok" and then they tend to throw the odd cover or 2 of songs I DON'T like, hehe.

I've also just been put off by the last 2 albums so I won't be seeing them live again. "I Can Feel The Heart..." was such an excellent overall album. "And Then Nothing..." was also very good, But the last 2 seemed a bit dull and long.

But still, definitely go see them at least once
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 10
Saw them in Birmingham and it was by far the best concert i have ever been to.

May 7, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Back in college (in '96 I believe) I organized a solo show by David Thomas of Pere Ubu in which Ira Kaplan of Yo la Tengo and the Ubu cellist Garo Yellin played backup. It was a fantastic, fantastic show. Ira improvised the entire show, based only on having heard some old Ubu songs. I remember he gave us copies of Electr-o-pura, which he'd just released a few months earlier.

I also recall that I managed to get Ira and Garo a reimbursement for renting a Buick Park Avenue to drive up to Massachusetts from NYC, and then there was a huge snowstorm and for hours they went missing and we thought we'd have to cancel the show, but then they arrived at the last minute and blew us all away. This thread topic just got me reminiscing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back