Anybody prefer the ORIGINAL Hornet to the "M" Hornet?
Jan 9, 2007 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
The owner I received my Hornet from said he didn't want to "M" mod it because he felt that it was better suited to him rather than the modded (now standard) version.

I'm wondering if I should blindly send it to Ray to have it "M" modded; I haven't heard one complaint about the mod.

Any comments/ideas?

TIA.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 4
I prefer the original Hornet to the M version, it was more focused and had better bass edges, IMO. Unfortunately I sent mine back to get something fixed on it (completely my fault,) and forgot to ask Ray to leave it as an unmodded version, so Ray updated it, as he was updating all Hornets at the time.

I like both versions, but given the choice right now, I'd have kept the unmodded version.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Seems like you gain something & you lose something. No major changes seem to have been made, so it's reasonable. Cap aside, must just be a different 'tuning' for the AD8397, which is a very ductile & responsive chip in this regard.

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the original Hornet to the M version, it was more focused and had better bass edges, IMO. Unfortunately I sent mine back to get something fixed on it (completely my fault,) and forgot to ask Ray to leave it as an unmodded version, so Ray updated it, as he was updating all Hornets at the time.

I like both versions, but given the choice right now, I'd have kept the unmodded version.

Reading your note about better bass edges, you likely didn't have the original Hornet, but rather the more recent stock Hornet, which has the same Panasonic cap as the M-Hornet and M-modded Hornets. The original Hornet had the Nichicon cap which had huge, round bass that definitely did not have well-defined edges, nor did it have as extended highs as the stock Panasonic cap Hornet -- or the M-Hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back