Anybody know this table? STRATHCLYDE STD 305M PRECISION TRANSCRIPTION Turntable
Apr 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

I am glad to hear any and all opinions. Unfortunately I was blessed wit an AT yellow. Any suggestions as to what I should be using?

I was hoping some better AT MM was included. AT 12/13/15/20 for vintage - and present day 440MLa and 150MLX. Vintage Signet ( AT ) were also great, but styli for these are becoming increasingly rare and expensive.

If you are generally happy with Shure sound - Jico makes nice SAS stylus for V 15 Type IV, should work well in SME III.

Ortofon OM (Super ) series work great with the S III. Stylus 20/30/40. As these are quite $, you can use Digitrac 300SE stylus with OM (Super ) body - it is basically Stylus 30 at much more reasonable price - it is  a simple task to remove a plastic tab wich prevents the full insertion of the stylus.

If you hint at the budet for the cart/stylus, this would help to make a few more suggestions.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #22 of 34
I was hoping to keep the price down as much as possible.  I don't want the cheapest but I can't afford thousands so somewhere in the lower middle would be good, say 100 - 500$.
I still have to buy a brush, cleaner, new belt etc.
I am still new to this so I will take any and all suggestions into consideration.  I do like to research things. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
I was hoping to keep the price down as much as possible.  I don't want the cheapest but I can't afford thousands so somewhere in the lower middle would be good, say 100 - 500$.
I still have to buy a brush, cleaner, new belt etc.
I am still new to this so I will take any and all suggestions into consideration.  I do like to research things. 

Not much I can add to my previous post. Perhaps I would add Grado to the mix - it generally likes SME III arm. Whether or not it will hum in STD is something I can not answer. 

As to which Grado - if you have time to wait till one shows up for sale, the best sounding ones are low impedance series, like the Signature MCZ. It will work with any Grado stylus, but higher up the range, the better. There are tons of info regarding this on Audiokarma etc.

And - being new at this game - DO NOT FORGET to add a good test record to the mix. HiFiNews test record is a safe bet, I hear good things about Analogue Productions Ultimate Analog Test LP which I have yet to check out. It will allow to adjust whatever you will end up with correctly - which is far more important than say MM vs MC cartridge difference. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #24 of 34
Thank you analogsurviver for all the help.  I'm now starting to realize just what I've gotten myself into!!  A 50$ test record, a 2-300$ cartridge, protractors, brushes, solutions, etc., etc., etc. !!!!!  Holy cow it's a good thing that I got the table for relatively little money!  I don't mind the expense but it's all going to be hard to sneak past my wife!  
cool.gif

Another little thing that I've noticed is that I don't have room to put the table anywhere.  So now I have to rearrange and buy new furniture for my components!!  

I don't think I thought this through very well!  
basshead.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:
Thank you analogsurviver for all the help.  I'm now starting to realize just what I've gotten myself into!!  A 50$ test record, a 2-300$ cartridge, protractors, brushes, solutions, etc., etc., etc. !!!!!  Holy cow it's a good thing that I got the table for relatively little money!  I don't mind the expense but it's all going to be hard to sneak past my wife!  
cool.gif

Another little thing that I've noticed is that I don't have room to put the table anywhere.  So now I have to rearrange and buy new furniture for my components!!  

I don't think I thought this through very well!  
basshead.gif

Hmmm..... I think  ( censored ) I heard similar before.

A good protractor that will not set you back too much : http://www.ebay.de/itm/Turntable-Phono-Cartridge-Stylus-Alignment-Protractor-Tool-Mirror-/390506936595?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item5aec06f913 There is another also worth of consideration I can not think right of  
bat - will post it if I will remember what it is called.                                       

Same for brush http://www.ebay.de/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Cleaner-Anti-Static-Velvet-Brush-MultiBristle-/400434900905?pt=US_Vinyl_Record_Cleaning&hash=item5d3bc7afa9 No affiliation with the seller(s)/usual yada yada.

The only undeniable advantage of a CD over LP is much better SPW  ( Sneak Past Wife ) factor. If you play this smart, she might/may fall in love with the sound of the vinyl enough to enable you both to enjoy a reasonable vinyl library in not too unreasonably distant future.

GOOD Luck !

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #26 of 34
I have one! I also have an Electrocompaniet pre/power amp from around 1980. I don't think my Mission 770's are working. I need to check! Where would I be best to sell these items?
Many thanks and best wishes to all.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #28 of 34
As all the posters have said[well nearly all] .You have got the bargain of the year!. Did you buy it in the US? as  in the UK you would have NO chance of buying it at that price as said -a SME 111 ARM!! and if I am correct its built in Scotland [Strathclyde-area of Scotland]. And dont mark it down in comparison to a Linn [also made in Scotland] they DONT get excellent marks now in the UK as they did when everybody believed they were next to   Heaven.  £600/ $850 would be nearer the going price here.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #29 of 34
I bought it in Canada.  Yes it is Scottish and I can't compare anything to a Linn because they are sooooo expensive that I've never been in the same room with one!  LOL  
I have seen another STD here recently though, - the 305D ( mine is the 305M ).

The ad here says"
Up for sale is a Scottish STD (Strathclyde Transcription Developments) 305D turntable with SME 3009 Series II Improved tonearm and Denon 103 low output moving coil cartridge.

Turntable, tonearm and cartridge have been well taken care of, in very good cosmetic condition.

Cueing mechanism of the tonearm is under-damped and the turntable has some slight electronic noise. Other than these, everything works fine. "

It's been for sale for a long time!!  Not a well known table in North America.  I'm keeping an eye on it.
wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #30 of 34
There are a lot of British audio products that are not well known in North America. Ever heard of a LS3/5A? What about  a 12" Monitor Gold? And I haven't even mentioned the 401 or the Orbit. These are model numbers that mean mostly nothing outside of Europe, but would have people scrambling to put on the watch list on eBay. None of them would fetch much at a garage sale in North America, but would cause a bidding war on ebay in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back