anybody here still use sennheiser HD580 cans?
Nov 29, 2012 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

abby normal

New Head-Fier
the HD580s were the first high-quality cans i could afford, i have 2 now [in case one goes kaput, their reliability is dodgy, frankly speaking]. they were the first 'phones i could use for critical audio restoration applications, because they truly are neutral with high clarity. what they put into our ears is truly what is on the record, no more and no less. their deep-bass is outstanding, i can hear all sorts of infrasonic grotzl in recordings that i rework. their sound quality matches reference-quality loudspeakers very closely, e.g., i use both the 580s and a pair of magnapans, they sound very similar ['cept for the bass]. i was just curious about other fellow HD580 users on this forum. thank you for your replies in advance. :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
the HD580s were the first high-quality cans i could afford, i have 2 now [in case one goes kaput, their reliability is dodgy, frankly speaking]. they were the first 'phones i could use for critical audio restoration applications, because they truly are neutral with high clarity. what they put into our ears is truly what is on the record, no more and no less. their deep-bass is outstanding, i can hear all sorts of infrasonic grotzl in recordings that i rework. their sound quality matches reference-quality loudspeakers very closely, e.g., i use both the 580s and a pair of magnapans, they sound very similar ['cept for the bass]. i was just curious about other fellow HD580 users on this forum. thank you for your replies in advance. :)

Heya,

Yeap. HD580's were my first headphone back in the 90's. They are excellent in all ways. Reliability isn't dodgy, the cable just goes from life/use after about 10 years and the pads wear down. I replaced my cable once. Never had to change pads though. It's a little on the warm side of neutral, not true netural, they don't sound flat and lifeless, they are actually pretty musical. Efficient enough to play from nearly any modern source (mine played fine from a soundcard from the 90's and old receivers), but really scales with good equipment. You can still get this headphone for $120~175 depending on condition. Fantastic buy even today. It's the HD600's yesteryear incarnation. I've kept mine in very good condition, even the headband hasn't chipped or anything.

Very best,

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 7
I have a 11+ year old HD580, except the cable has been replaced with a HD650 cable. I also just recently switched them to HD600 grills and HD650 headband pad (I found it more comfortable than the HD600 headband pad).

I like the look of my HD580 right now more than the HD600. Not a fan of the marble finish.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 7
I had a pair a very long time ago. Think this was back in 2003. This was a old version and I was clueless and using it from a portable CD player! Yuck! No wonder I didn't like it.

I always wanted to have an HD-600 around, but didn't like it enough to pay $300. I always ended up reselling them. Figured i'd just buy an HD-580 for $150 and force myself to keep it.

Strangely last year when I got it I was surprised how much better it sounded than the HD-600! Felt a little less sleep and a bit more fun to listen to. Not sure why, but it seems like it has more forward upper mids, less bass and more treble.
Totally very minor differences and all caused by the grills (i've confirmed this since I now have an HD-600 too).

I think I must be only the 2nd person on here to prefer the HD-580 to the HD-600.

Right now i'd rank my Sennheisers as:

HD-650 > HD-580 | HD-598 | > HD-600

The HD-650 is actually more fun to listen to than the 598! This one has only slightly above neutral bass and maybe the ODAC is playing a role in how good it sounds.
My previous pair had much more bloated mid-bass. This one has extremely well controlled bass. It actually sounds like my DJ100, but with less treble and less forward upper mids.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 7
perhaps i am cursed when it comes to machines of any kind, i've gone through two sets of headphone cables, only on the sennheisers do they seem to get broken wires in less than a year's normal use. also both pair of mine buzz on certain bass tones. i haven't gotten to hear any fancier models, but i could not live without mine as they are.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 7
I own a pair of HD580's (see avatar).  I'm sure I got them around the time the HD600 was introduced in the mid-90's.  They sat unused in a box for a number of years because of the intermittent connection problem documented in this link:

http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=1306

I recently got back into the headphone hobby and found HD650 replacement cables for them, and also replaced the headband foam that was worn out.  My 580's now have a new lease on life.  Very comfortable, and perfect for late-night listening.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 7
I've bought my HD580's in 2003 and have been using them ever since. Recently, I've replaced the drivers with new ones I bought from Custom Cable in the UK. I also did replace the pads once, three years ago. These cans sound so sublime, I might as well enjoy them for another 10 years. To this day they are in mint condition. Total audio bliss! Highly recommended!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back