Anybody hear any news on the Headamp AE-1 refresh?
Apr 21, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #46 of 108
We don't generally permit the posting of prototype photos. The exception would be a Mall-Fi or Manufacturer's Paid Thread.

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #47 of 108
Unfortunate...seems you removed them just as I saw this thread
frown.gif

Oh well

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #48 of 108
I don't know how much longer I can wait, but if the improvements are going to make the AE-1 even better sounding, then I will have to just sit back and do my breathing exercises!!
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #49 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
We don't generally permit the posting of prototype photos. The exception would be a Mall-Fi or Manufacturer's Paid Thread.

To clarify, this is my personal customized AE-1. I used the word "prototype"
to mean my personal finishing experiments, not that the amp was a prototype or had anything to do with Headamp. Justin was kind enough to give me a few extra housings to play around with. The internal amp is the new AE-1, but as far as I know Justin has not decided on a finish or color/colors for the production unit. I own an anodizing and laser engraving company and I always customize any products that a client will sell or give to me. Any aluminum, titanium or stainless steel parts are fair game. And yes, the square hole on the bottom is for access to the gain switches.

DSCN4820.jpg

DSCN4819.jpg

Apr 22, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #50 of 108
A show of hands from those that will pay extra for
chassis work of this quality. Me Me Me Me...

Where is the picture of the amp next to the meridian??

I wonder what the cost of a GSX chassis done like this would be?

Apr 22, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #51 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore

Definitely me!

Quote:

Whatever it would be, it would be worth it, IMO.

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #53 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore

Where is the picture of the amp next to the meridian??

This one?

DSCN4738.jpg

DSCN4690_1.jpg

Keep in mind that most aluminum enclosures can be stripped and re-finished for that custom one-off look.

Apr 22, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #55 of 108
very nice.

Apr 22, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #56 of 108
How does it sound? Any different from the original?

Apr 22, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #57 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
That's absolutely gorgeous...i'd be willing to pay a bit extra, for sure, especially that blue/white one with the headamp logo on top

edit- do you have any pics of any metal grados anodized in different colors?

The pair shown has had the gold anodizing stripped then mirror polished and grey anodized. the s/s mesh grills were paint stripped and then polished. The Grado logo rings left off. Many different colors are available.

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #58 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
How does it sound? Any different from the original?

I never heard the older model but Justin tells me it has been much improved. I think it sounds great. It is now my portable amp of choice. I use a 60gig ipod, lineout to the AE-1 to either K701 or HD650. Cigar in one hand, martini in the other, music cranking and the palm trees swaying. Life is good!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #59 of 108
I really can't get my hands around the meaning of this. I really enjoy the sound of the original. How much better can it get at this level? How far can this level of amp be pushed? It is already even with the SR-71, Hornet and SuperMacro depending on taste/flavor preferred.(retorical only)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rixtrix
I never heard the older model but Justin tells me it has been much improved. I think it sounds great. It is now my portable amp of choice. I use a 60gig ipod, lineout to the AE-1 to either K701 or HD650. Cigar in one hand, martini in the other, music cranking and the palm trees swaying. Life is good!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back