Anybody ever heard this thing: Moth Audio's Si2A3
May 17, 2002 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

shorton

100+ Head-Fier
Was following someone else's post about the Moth passive switcher and ran across this amp and added it to the amp list because my poor ol' memory didn't remember it in the list.

So...anybody know if this thing sounds good or not?

Would be interesting to compare to the Cary 300B based intergrated, I was thinking.

May 17, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 25
No, I have not heard it, but it has surely gotten my attention. The build quality looks killer, price is 1/2 of the Cary 300SEi, and it seems to be a more reasonable alternative than a $4500.00 15 watt per channel integrated amp to drive headphones.

May 17, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 25
yeah, that's kinda what I was thinkin' too.
wink.gif

May 17, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 25
I toyed with getting the Moth for a while, but there's so little info about headphone performance. The Moth was reviewed in Absolute Sound's infamous headphone amp roundup. The reviewer like it but said it emphasized tape hiss on recordings. The prototype EAR HP4 won the shoot-out. You can buy the article on-line somewhere I forget.

markl

May 17, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 25
Off topic

Just saw your sig and would like to chip to say that there are 'simple cells' in every person's visual cortex! (in the brain) That's what that type of cell is called.

So there goes your oxymoron, defeated by a sleight of hand...
tongue.gif

(brain still burning from the biological psychology exam today...
angryfire.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 17, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 25
Dear Joe,

Please explain the parts of the simple cell that you are referring to. Please include DNA; transmitting RNA; receiving RNA; and eveything (or anything else) within the cellwall but excluding the cell wall itself and the receptors included in it.

Now, explain to me how this is "simple" except in name only?

Thanks for your future response.

May 17, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 25
Joe, you have it all wrong....the very reason it IS an oxymoron is that when cells are termed simple, as a portion of their english nomenclature rather than using the latin derived roots...simple defies by definition exactly what a cell is - complex. Even the most simple prokaryotic cell is still so vastly complex...that we are still only at the tip of the iceburg. Considering that eukaryotics are far more complex as a whole and vastly more complex in homosapiens tells you something. To say simple is to shout oxymoron. In essence his sig still stands.

May 17, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 25
Thanks ZANTH! Very well said. Much better than I could (or did).
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 25
I did say it's by a sleight of hand...

oxymoron: word for referring to something that doesn't exist. Right?

Well the 'simple cells' are cells in the visual cortex (V1 area I think) that respond to bars of light placed in the right orientation and position in their receptive fields. They are 'simple' compared to 'complex cells', which respond to correctly oriented bars of light no matter where they are placed in their receptive fields (as long as they are still in their receptive fields)

So simple cells exist. Sort of.

Joe
tongue.gif

(maybe I'm reading this wrong and you two already know all of this--since I don't even know what an 'eukaryotic' is
eek.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 17, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 25
Not a problem Joe, but I stand by my signature anyway in that an oxymoron is a term that contridicts itself; not something that doesn't exist at all.

How did your CDP search go today? and isn't it awfully late over there in HK? Go get some sleep...we'll still be here later.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 25
"...The Moth was reviewed in Absolute Sound's infamous headphone amp roundup."

"...The prototype EAR HP4 won the shoot-out. "

Funny how a prototype won out over products that we can actually have today - out-of-stock MG Head's aside.
wink.gif

Any info on when this prototype will be available?

Any ranking info, or do we all have to buy the article?
confused.gif

May 17, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 25
shorton, the EAR HP4 is actually a current production unit. it's very expensive, at $3500 or $4000. (i don't remember) headroom carries 'em. I got a chance to hear one at one of the headroom meets, and I can vouch for how amazing it sounds. $3500 amazing? Um, no. but wowsers...it sounded good with any headphone.

May 17, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 25
Hey Joe!
Well I think it is your definition that is off. Shorton has it right. An Oxymoron is a word that when joined with another makes the entire term contradictory. It is not as you say describing something that does not exist. For example: a deafening silence. How can silence be deafening? Would't 300 db sound be that? Catch my drift? We were never disputing that simple cells exist...there are many simple squamous etc...the point is rather...that even when called simple in the English common language....it is oxymoronic because a cell is so vastly complex that the term simple defies the notion of complexity even the most basic cell holds. So....simple cell....is an oxymoron.

BTW: Prokaryote=cell without nucleus and has few organelles
Eukaryotes=cell with nucleus, more complex internal machinary

A very "simple"
wink.gif
explanation

May 18, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 25
just checked the dictionary
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back