Anybody else using studio monitors?
Jan 3, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #16 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yamaha HS 50M: probably a bad idea?

I've not really heard much about them.

Why do they interest you? If its purely the price I think I'd consider KRK's first.

Jan 3, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #17 of 172
Quote:

I see no better option than studio monitors for the Presonus Central Station.

Yamaha HS 50M: probably a bad idea?

I've heard the HS80M, a step up from the HS50M. It has a high amount of low treble brightness, just like the old studio standard Yamaha NS10.

The KRKs were the opposite, with a ton of lower midrange bloom.

I'd say, save your money.

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #18 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, not even for the Studio ones, at least not in my area, not even in NY, Sam Ash does not carry them and the only dealer in north Jersey IIRC while I called did not have any in stock, they said that they order them while you order them, no stocks of expensive speakers....

i could've sworn i've seen Dynaudios in the B&H catalogue but maybe it's just special order? not sure - you might give it a shot since you're in NY

anyway - i own the Presonus CS and a set of the Alesis M1 Active MKII

they were recommended to me at the various internships i've held as an alternative to the costlier Yamaha MSP5's

although i havent heard the Yamahas, i do prefer my Alesis to one of Event's TR series (dont recall if it was a TR6 or TR8) that i did do some projects on - the Event's IMHO and as far as i can recall were rather sharp with a midbass emphasis and while some complain that the Alesis has too much of an emphasis on bass (which i've solved by plugging the bass holes with socks) i find the resolution and detail a bit better - it is on the warmer side of neutral

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #19 of 172
I'm using cheap Samson monitors. For their intended purpose (music production) they really suck, but they're great for just listening to music. Far superior to the Logitec and Bose speakers we have in the house. They are however, totally out-performed by my Senn HD580s.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #20 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not really heard much about them.

Why do they interest you? If its purely the price I think I'd consider KRK's first.

here I will admit it :

they interest me because i like the last toyota celica GT-S whose engine was co-developed with Yamaha

Completely irrelevant to their speakers i know ...
frown.gif
frown.gif

In light of some reviews in this thread i am looking at the mackies

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adam A7 user here. Awesome little speakers. Like my DT880 on steroids, with bass and soundstage!.

sounds pretty attractive to me
biggrin.gif
if only they weren't $500 a piece. i'm pretty confused by the prospect of studio monitors for use in a stereo rig...how to know what is good etc. i like the idea of a speaker that's comparable to my DT880s but with more bass and soundstaging...how possible is that for < $500?

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like the idea of a speaker that's comparable to my DT880s but with more bass and soundstaging...how possible is that for < $500?

You might like the Event TR8, or a used pair of Event 20/20bas V2 speakers. Those are great for a fun listen. Not especially accurate, but revealing, with a significant amount of bass thump for monitors of that size.

I haven't heard the TR8 in person, but it appears to be an updated version of the now-discontinued 20/20 series.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 172
Quote:

studio monitors seem to be a relatively unexplored realm on Head-fi

more people need to bite the bullet
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree.

Personally I find speakers and home audio more interesting than headphones anyway.
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #27 of 172
I use Samson Resolv 65a

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #28 of 172
Quote:

Anybody else using studio monitors?

A topic of some interest to me, actually. I have not experienced Adams (I believe I might like them, fine), but I started with B & W 602's, went to Dynaudio B5's with matching sub, then to the Dynaudio B15's and matching sub... It was at that point that I seemed to "grow up", somehow, in my hearing... I had good headphones and headphone gear experience by this time... And, suddenly, it hit me... For all this money I spent on a balanced active Dynaudio system I should be hearing WAY MORE clarity and resolution, "hell, this crap isn't even musical!!!" Before that onslaught of revelation, I praised my Dyanudios to no end, ha.

So I joined audiogon, sold my hated dynaudio pro audio overpriced baloney on ebay in one day, got some North Creek Borealis monitors from a seasoned 'goner, picked up a used 15" Revel sub, and an ATC amp... I was once excited by pro audio monitors, but I can never imagine going back for any reason whatsoever. I just got so much more sonic satisfaction for the same amount of money, studying and risking used gear on the 'gon.

Now I am torn between the question, "Which is better... A High end headphone system or a great speaker system"... but that would be another thread altogether...
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #29 of 172
If I had a smaller room in which to live (as a student) I'd have gone for near field monitors instead of floorstanders. Probably Tannoys. I very much enjoy listening to a friends Tannoy near field setup when I'm round at his.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #30 of 172
Tannoys are very good also but if you are going that route of small bookshelves I strongly suggest to give the Axioms a shot, they are worth every penny to me, and they are really cheap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back