Anybody else using studio monitors?
Jan 1, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 172
I'm currently not using an active monitor but when I have space I'll be using my Central Station with either Mackie HR824mk2 or ADAM's A7.

HR824mk2-large.jpg

A7-large.jpg

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 172
I used the Alesis Point Seven and later on the Monitor Ones MKII, both passive, my borther still ahs the ones and they sound very good for the money...

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 172
I'm thinking about trying the Alesis Monitor Ones MKII as well. I'd like to see how they compare. Even if they sound very similar I might go for those anyway. The ST6's have been discontinued which will make them hard to get later on when I want to go to 5.1

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently not using an active monitor but when I have space I'll be using my Central Station with either Mackie HR824mk2 or ADAM's A7.

If I had the money I probably would have gone for one of those.

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 172
I was using logitech z5300, and recently upgraded to a Dynaudio MC15, and it was a night and day difference.

Jan 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 172
I use some M-Audio DX-4s. I love them for music, but they can really make you notice flaws in the mastering of albums. Some are simply terrible on them, where as other albums really shine.

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 172
I have been using a pair of Adam P11A for a year or so and couldn't be any happier. Like many I also auditioned "hifi" monitors (KEF, JMLab, B&W, Piega, etc.) before settling on these studio monitors. It's ideal for my nearfield listening environment and imo offers greater bang for the buck in the under $2000 price range. I was also contemplating a pair of Dynaudios and slightly preferred the Adams because of the ribbon tweeters. Mackie HR624 were also very nice in a lower price category. Not a big fan of the Genelec and KRK monitors I heard.

Jan 1, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 172
M-Audio BX8as here. Pretty awesome, if a bit on the bright side.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 172
Not yet, but that's my plan. I auditioned every monitor in the local Guitar Center (KRK, Event, Yamaha, etc.) and the Mackie HR824mk2 came out the clear winner.

I'm still waiting to audition the Adam line-up and Dynaudio's upper line-up.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not yet, but that's my plan. I auditioned every monitor in the local Guitar Center (KRK, Event, Yamaha, etc.) and the Mackie HR824mk2 came out the clear winner.

I'm still waiting to audition the Adam line-up and Dynaudio's upper line-up.

The problem to audition Dynaudio is that mainly nobody carries them in stock as to listen them...Even the few dealers they have while you call, do not have them.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem to audition Dynaudio is that mainly nobody carries them in stock as to listen them...Even the few dealers they have while you call, do not have them.

It's true, finding a store for auditioning Dynaudios is difficult, especially for their home line-up, but at least it's a little easier to find their studio monitors. Most Guitar Centers have a pair of BM5As set up as the bare minimum.

I'm specifically looking to audition the BM6Amk2, BM15A, or the Air series. I've had good experiences with the BM15As in the studio despite their intentionally-inaccurate frequency response (cool in the lower midrange), so it will be nice to hear them again, especially next to the very accurate Mackie HR824mk2.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true, finding a store for auditioning Dynaudios is difficult, especially for their home line-up, but at least it's a little easier to find their studio monitors. Most Guitar Centers have a pair of BM5As set up as the bare minimum.

I'm specifically looking to audition the BM6Amk2, BM15A, or the Air series. I've had good experiences with the BM15As in the studio despite their intentionally-inaccurate frequency response (cool in the lower midrange), so it will be nice to hear them again, especially next to the very accurate Mackie HR824mk2.

Nope, not even for the Studio ones, at least not in my area, not even in NY, Sam Ash does not carry them and the only dealer in north Jersey IIRC while I called did not have any in stock, they said that they order them while you order them, no stocks of expensive speakers....

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, not even for the Studio ones, at least not in my area, not even in NY, Sam Ash does not carry them and the only dealer in north Jersey IIRC while I called did not have any in stock, they said that they order them while you order them, no stocks of expensive speakers....

Same here in Canada. I have so much trouble to even find a local dealer that sell it. Eventually, I found one Canadian dealer and I bought one without even auditioned them. Lucky, the speaker meets all my expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back