Anybody else got a Archos Recorder?
Dec 30, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 4
I had a JBR20 w/Rockbox installed. Lots of space for the money, can be used as an external data drive w/o any special drivers, simple drag-&-drop for music files. Easily replaceable batteries. A bit bulky though. The headphone-out is only "fair", and a bit noisy when hooked up to am external amp.

The digital-out feature was neat, as it allowed me to connect it to an external DAC for better sound when stationary. Was pretty cool until the hardrive started to give me probs, so I used my replacement warranty to return it.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 4
I loved mine before I replaced the drive 1 too many times and finally must've cracked a PCB, because it never came to life again.

It's recording is terrific, and with Rockbox on it, it's a pretty solid unit. I replaced it with an iHP-140, but I've thought about picking up an old Archo on ebay just for the recording.

I record church services several times a year, and with the Archos, you can start a recording, then hit the right arrow, and it will start a new file with no loss whatsoever. It's the only unit I've found that does that. It's a HUGE timesaver when editing the audio later on. If I get one, I'll compare the headphone out to my iRiver. If it's as good, I'll just drop an 80GB drive in it, sell the iRiver, and have my dream player (except it's a hair big - nobody's perfect).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back