Anybody buy a generic case and cut foam for headphones?
Oct 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Interested in how this is done especially how you can cut the foam cleanly without going all the way down to the bottom and cutting through.

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 5
I've designed a bunch of packaging cut foam for work and have cut a number of inserts for headphones for cases for myself as well. In my experience, there are 2 main ways that you can do it. First you can cut a thin rectangular piece as a bottom for the case, say 1 inch thick, then get another piece thick enough to fill the rest of the case up to the lid seem. You then make your cutout in that thick piece and put it in on top of the floor piece. The other way is to get a piece of foam thick enough to fill the case up to the seem and make your cutout in it. You can then take the piece that you cut out of it and cut a thin section of it to act as a floor in the pocket.

I use a bandsaw to cut the foam but you need a fairly large bandsaw to be able to do the second method as you need to cut a pretty thick piece of foam.

When you cut the pocket, you cut through one wall into the pocket to profile the pocket. You can either glue that seem back together or just let the case hold it together.

I've seen a number of inserts made from higher density foam where they actually CNC mill the pockets into the foam but that foam is so stiff that it doesn't give good protection so I wouldn't recommend it for headphones.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, this is gonna be above my paygrade. I wonder if the monoprices boxes foam is really adaptable or not.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 5
Pick and pluck foam is an easy way to go as well. It's easier to deal with but doesn't hold up as well in the long term. It's easy to find here in the states but I'm not sure about Europe.
Thanks, I didn't know it has durability issues. That is good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back