Any Zune owners out there?
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #331 of 390
Most seems to agree that Zune 120's headphone out sounds better than that of iPod Classic. Does any of you think that the Zune still sounds better than the Classic (with LOD) when used with an amp? Is the difference subtle or obvious to you?

Has anyone compared the SQ of Zune vs the Sansa?

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #332 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most seems to agree that Zune 120's headphone out sounds better than that of iPod Classic. Does any of you think that the Zune still sounds better than the Classic (with LOD) when used with an amp? Is the difference subtle or obvious to you?

Yes & it's obvious, imo.

Quote:

Has anyone compared the SQ of Zune vs the Sansa?

Not I.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #333 of 390
Depends on the IEM.

I have a Clip, and prefer the Zune HP out with the W3s, but the Clip with the PFEs and (X10s also sound great from the Zune).

Don't have a Classic, only the Touch 2G and a 5.5g. But both sound better amped with Minibox E+ than and unamped Zune. Surprisingly, the Zune can be amped too, with mini to mini, and it sounds appreciably improved as well.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #334 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes & it's obvious, imo.

Not I.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #335 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the IEM.

I have a Clip, and prefer the Zune HP out with the W3s, but the Clip with the PFEs and (X10s also sound great from the Zune).

Don't have a Classic, only the Touch 2G and a 5.5g. But both sound better amped with Minibox E+ than and unamped Zune. Surprisingly, the Zune can be amped too, with mini to mini, and it sounds appreciably improved as well.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

In your opinion, how does the amped Zune compares to the amped iPods? Or the amped Clip (if you have tried it, but you probably got it for its portability)?

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #336 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you get better SQ out of the Zune dock vs the HP out? I didn't get the dock because it is not a true line-out in that it has a volume control.

Do you mean that volume control on the Zune still works when using the line out?

I suppose that the dock will only output sound only when it is powered?

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #337 of 390
I am a new recruit, bought a secondhand Zune 30 today (as we still cannot get them in the UK through official channels :s)

Anyways, after having listened for about an hour... I'm not fully convinced yet, the SQ is quite a lot brighter than my normal DAP of choice (iPhone 3G) when using the Senn IE8...

...I guess i'll have to work out for myself if it is that the Zune is bright, or that the iPhone is slightly dark...

...I do like the soundstage presence with the Zune though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #338 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a new recruit, bought a secondhand Zune 30 today (as we still cannot get them in the UK through official channels :s)

Anyways, after having listened for about an hour... I'm not fully convinced yet, the SQ is quite a lot brighter than my normal DAP of choice (iPhone 3G) when using the Senn IE8...

...I guess i'll have to work out for myself if it is that the Zune is bright, or that the iPhone is slightly dark...

...I do like the soundstage presence with the Zune though
smily_headphones1.gif

You realize of course that there are EQ presets on the Zune 30 that may help compensate for this, right?
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #339 of 390
Hi Blue Meanie...

I must admit that I have seen, but not used the EQ yet... I think, after I've fully charged it, that I'll run through them
biggrin.gif

Oddly, I really like the screen, even compared to the iPhone... just seems much more 'right'... hehe, I can see that this is going to be a new favourite, one way or another
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #340 of 390
I just got my Zune 120 yesterday. Still getting used to its sound and control.

So far I found that it is more neutral than the Sony, without that Sony mid bass hump and made the low bass more prominent. The Zune might have a touch more dynamic and the Sony might have a wider sound stage, but I have to listen more to make a conclusion.

I have a few gripes though:
- The hold switch looks like it is going to fall off anytime and it is hard to switch without finger nail, is this normal?
- I thought my Sony has a weak headphone output and everyone says so. from what I can tell the Zune is even weaker.
- Zune software is obsessed with the "year" and "genre" tag and won't allow me to leave them blank.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #341 of 390
1. is it wiggling? it is normal. My first Zune 80 did the same thing and I didn't paid much attention. Never felt but never stopped wiggling.
2. Can't answer
3. You can leave those tags blank.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #342 of 390
Yes it's wiggling. I find that I can unlock without fingernail but can't lock without nail. If I were to use my nails the switch would be partially lifted up which I thought I might break it someday. If this thing loosen up a bit over time and I can switch it without using nails then it might stand a chance of surviving.

I set the Zune software so that it does not append nor replace the tags in the option. However the tag edit window would keep bugging me to enter a valid value for the year field or else it won't close nor save, if I blank it with other software the Zune software would automatically append those field even when I told it not to.

As for the genre field if I keep it blank either with Zune software or other software it would revert to its previous value the next time it open.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #343 of 390
Between my Zune 120 (I've also had a 30 and 80) and the Sony A829 & S639 (had to sell both unfortunately) the output volume was greater on the Sony's. Even though the Sony's are rated @5mw per channel, volume is louder on them.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #344 of 390
Does any of you have experience of SQ wise with 8GB and Hard drive based models?

Im planning to Amp-ing using the HP-out

Otto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back