Any Zune owners out there?
Jan 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #316 of 390
can anyone tell me if this makes sense?

about a month ago, i sent my 120GB back for repair due to a battery problem. turnaround was really fast and i was told they replaced it with a new unit. however the new unit has the same S/N as my old one. wouldn't a new unit have a different S/N?

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #317 of 390
The unit could mean just the battery. Any single component can be classed as a 'unit'.

The battery is at fault so its replaced with a new unit.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #318 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The unit could mean just the battery. Any single component can be classed as a 'unit'.

The battery is at fault so its replaced with a new unit.

what i meant was they told me they shipped me a new zune. i specifically reconfirmed that with the support rep. i just used the word "unit" here, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #319 of 390
Better give them a call then and see what they actually did. Probably a mix up. The customer rep says it will be a swap but when it lands on the techs desk, he sees 'battery problem' and swaps over the battery and sends it to dispatch. If you do it often enough it maybe only took him or her 2 minutes to do. May be quicker than getting an new Zune issued out.

Who knows. I was pleased to see I got my exact Xbox360 back rather than some kids abused one when I got the RROD.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #320 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets be fair here. Fader control on the line-out is unnecessary, but what you're complaining about might be more of a software feature than anything else.

I dont exactly understand the technical details, but the volume control I am talking about is supposedly on the dock itself. As far as I know you cannot adjust the Zune device's volume when its docked - it automatically maxes it out to 20.

It would be really useful if someone can compare the Zune dock output SQ vs. the Zune HP out.

Also does the Zune dock have a HP out?

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #321 of 390
The Zune Dock works as follows -

You put the Zune into the Dock. You can still up and down the volume in the dock via the remote or the Zunes controls. You can listen through the HO and you can also plug into the LO with headphones or run a cable into a HiFi.

The volume is adjustable whatever you do. There is NO volume control on the Dock itself. SQ is excellent from both.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #322 of 390
Zune.net | Product Detail - Zune Dock

"Audio/video output with built-in audio amplifier. In the living room, you’ll be able to show off your Zune next to your TV and stereo without searching and reaching for the A/V Cable every time you want to use it. In addition, the built-in amplifier makes it easy to control the volume when used with the Wireless Remote (sold separately)."

The fact that it has a built in amplifier is what concerns me. Whats confusing is that the "Zune Dock Pack" Zune.net | Product Detail - Zune Dock Pack does not say anything about a built-in amplifier and it looks different from the doc in the first link.

Does anyone know the difference?

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #323 of 390
It sounds really good. What are you worrying about?

The docks I have are Mk1's (1st link) the one in your 2nd link is a Mk2 to fit the 80+ Zunes.

I'm fairly sure the specs are the same. The docks are quite heavy and I wouldnt be surprised there is a bit more than a simple pass though. I've tried the LO from the dock into a amp to headphones but it was a waste of time as the LO has a good output anyway. I dont like adding too much unecessary amplification and cabling if I can avoid it.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #324 of 390
My point is that the dock is not a true LOD since it includes a built-in amplifier. Now if there was a way to bypass that amplifier...
ph34r.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #325 of 390
Gotta say the zune software is pretty amazing, especially compared to Itunes which I liken to satan. At first I was worried that I would hate it much like itunes because I love the simplicity of drag and drop like my cowon x5(which kind of works but not worth fully repairing) and my sansa clip, but after getting used to it I am really impressed. Especially combining and moving ID3 tag info, I had my scattered albums/artists/genres organized quickly by a couple drag and drops. For itunes the end result is the same, but it was so tedious and so much more work selecting groups then editing then doing it over and over. Also love the fact that I can choose what I want to sync, not just location but types like videos/audio. Again compared to itunes which forces you to sync no matter what. If it had a drag and drop folder option I would probably use that still but this time using the zune's proprietary software is a pleasure not torture. Sound quality wise it's too early for me to compare to my x5 but so far impressions are positive(no really good headphones to test it for one thing). Oh yea I bought the 1st gen 30gb zune in white.

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #326 of 390
The only things I would like to see in the Zune software are the ability to extend the album cover and name info to full width in the library instead of just fading the end off. Looks messy.

Also I would like more flexibility on the WMA Pro ripping side. Also to have more range on WMA Pro in WMP would be cool too. At least up to 256k. Cant be that hard can it?

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #327 of 390
I have my Zune 8G a month or so..

I finally got some wma lossless (converted from flac using dbpoweramp) and downloaded to zune.

first Question:
just to confirm. I have to go to setting>conversion settings>only convert format not supported by zune.

or else it will convert it to MP3.

2nd Question: Anyone have skipping with Zune using wma lossless?

I had a few skips, but they seems to be gone.

Thanks for the help! Happy listening

Otto

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #328 of 390
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta say the zune software is pretty amazing, especially compared to Itunes which I liken to satan. At first I was worried that I would hate it much like itunes because I love the simplicity of drag and drop like my.......are positive(no really good headphones to test it for one thing). Oh yea I bought the 1st gen 30gb zune in white.

I find it useful when you could download album art & info from their server.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #329 of 390
Quote:

just to confirm. I have to go to setting>conversion settings>only convert format not supported by zune.

or else it will convert it to MP3.

if you want to keep the lossless files in the Zune, yes.

Quote:

2nd Question: Anyone have skipping with Zune using wma lossless?

I had a few skips, but they seems to be gone.

a few ppl are reporting this around the official forums. mostly with long lossless tracks.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #330 of 390
My zune 8gb is using the lastest firmware. It seems that it couldn't handle songs that have a kbps over 1050. It is fine with songs under that.

I get the kbps reading in zune software.
Cause dbpoweramp just tells 1400kbps for every one. But that isnt true.

I think I will just keep my music using CMR 320kbps for now.

otto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back